Subject: Spanish Events Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bayley
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just soloing this game through to pick up the rules before I play F2F for the first time and I must admit I know little or nothing about this particular period (which is why I bought it).

At first the Spanish Loyalty track seemed a little counter intuitive to me because as the game passed and the marker was moved to the right it seemed to not only get easier for a successful Habsburg Spanish Uprising but also easier for the Bourbon player to kick the Habsburg player out of Madrid if he takes it. With a bit further thought I'm guessing its first of all to make it more and more likely that a Habsburg Spanish uprising will occur and then secondly to reward a period of Habsburg consolidation in Spain as with Barcelona and 5 other fortresses the Spanish Loyalty track marker will start moving to the right gradually making it less and less likely with each passing year that the Habsburg player will get kicked out of Madrid when/if he takes it. Is this to discourage the game from taking an ahistorical route say with a quick Alliance campaign from Portugal to take Madrid?

Also including Barcelona there are 11 fortresses in Spain so it would seem possible for 2 conditions on the adjust Spanish Loyalty Marker table to be true:

1) Bourbons control Madrid and at least 5 Spanish fortresses -> move marker right 1; and

2) Alliance controls ((i) Madrid) or (ii) Barcelona and at least 5 other fortresses in Spain -> move marker left 1.

The question is do they just cancel each other out or does one take precedence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro García
Spain
El Vendrell
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Bayley wrote:
Also including Barcelona there are 11 fortresses in Spain so it would seem possible for 2 conditions on the adjust Spanish Loyalty Marker table to be true:

1) Bourbons control Madrid and at least 5 Spanish fortresses -> move marker right 1; and

2) Alliance controls ((i) Madrid) or (ii) Barcelona and at least 5 other fortresses in Spain -> move marker left 1.

The question is do they just cancel each other out or does one take precedence?

Tney cancel each other out (from CSW: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?7@772.KgpscWi4HnT.35@.1dd13...)

Regarding the couter intuitive loyalty table: I thought the same as you, but then I realized that Barcelona's opinion goes against Madrid's and that made perfect sense to me

Jokes apart, as I understand it, when the general opinion is against the Bourbons (left part of the table) the Habsburg supporters don't feel the need to start the rebellion. On the other hand, when the Bourbons take the populace to their side, they do feel the need for an uprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bayley
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the speedy response to my question and the reminder that the rivalry between Barcelona and Madrid applied even in the early 18th century. I guess the follow up question would be if there was a Jose Mourinho modifier would it be positive or negative?!!?

Cheers,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro García
Spain
El Vendrell
Tarragona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a matter of fact, 11th September 1714 (the fall of Barcelona to the Bourbons) became Catalonia's Day and it is their official holiday today. Philip V promoted a centralized monarchy, one of the Bourbon's "trademark", and Catalonia lost most of the special privileges that the Habsburgs have kept from the times of the Kingdom of Aragón.

Mourinho would surely be a positive modifier to keep Madrid, it was Van Gaal who was "always negative" - one of his most famous phrases, which every comedian would use when impersonating him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Velázquez Otero
Spain
Badajoz
Badajoz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrote wrote:
As a matter of fact, 11th September 1714 (the fall of Barcelona to the Bourbons) became Catalonia's Day and it is their official holiday today. Philip V promoted a centralized monarchy, one of the Bourbon's "trademark", and Catalonia lost most of the special privileges that the Habsburgs have kept from the times of the Kingdom of Aragón.

Mourinho would surely be a positive modifier to keep Madrid, it was Van Gaal who was "always negative" - one of his most famous phrases, which every comedian would use when impersonating him

¡Que grande! Magnificent!
Estamos echando una partidilla por las mañanas y Martín ha tenido ciertos fallos interpretando las reglas
We are playing now but our friend Martín Nemrod has failed to explain me the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

maybe a silly question, but the allies can roll dice for the Hapsburg uprising every turn until it happens, or they roll once and of they do not succeed then they cannot roll again?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.