Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darran Jones
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've really enjoyed Wrath Of Ashardalon, but I'm super excited about The Legend Of Drizzt. I'm a massive fan of the Dark Elf and can't wait to see his powers and how he's been integrated into the board game. Is anyone else looking forward to this potentially great dungeon crawler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
Is anyone else looking forward to this potentially great dungeon crawler?

Not really. Though if I was to buy one of the D&D games, this would be it. I have enough games already I haven't played and I'm not nearly buying as many games as I used to given my state of employment and the wishy-washy economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tackett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been a huge Drizzt fan since junior high school, but I don't know about this game. A friend of mine has Ashardalon and we've played it a few times (2 player) and it's completely brutal. We have a pretty good time playing it, but it's incredibly frustrating. We've had to implement some additional house rules to make it more fun.

I don't know, maybe playing it with more people isn't as bad, but at two players (at least in Ashardalon), it's either get torn apart by the monsters or get destroyed by the environment cards every turn and there's hardly anything good that comes your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the mainstream equivalent of a dungeon crawl gamewise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strideristhebest wrote:

No. I preordered it from Amazon *months* ago for a good price, and I'm absolutely certain that they'll keep pushing back the delivery date for me before eventually cancelling my order, saying that they can't supply the game within a reasonable time, while at the same time selling - and actually delivering - the game to other customers at a new, much higher, price.

My certainty is based on the way that they've done this to me before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I actually am. While I haven't played either of the two previous games much, The few times I did, I found them pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am too. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually enjoy both Ravenloft AND Ashardalon. The 'brutality' is what keeps me coming back, it's how a dungeon SHOULD be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/625708/content-informati...

This is the information gathered so far.

I played it myself at GenCon and found the new mechanics in the game to be very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not overly excited for the game, but then I haven't gotten Ravenloft or Ashardalon either. I'm much, much more interested in the new figures for Cattie Brie and Jarlaxle although they're not painted so I'll probably wait around and hope that Wizards releases a painted collectors set of those particular miniatures that I can snap up for use in games of D&D Miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
what is the mainstream equivalent of a dungeon crawl gamewise?

Either Dungeons and Dragons or Descent. What's the non-ambiguous jargonese version of your question, anyway?

Yes, looking forward to Drizzt. I *intend* to use the miniatures for D&D and D&D miniatures, and the goblins in Drizzt will FINALLY let me play the D&D Starter Set adventure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and like Wrath of Ashardalon, but the Drittz game is one I won't touch with a stick. I despise that character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darran Jones
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Drizzt
I'm interested to see how the companions are going to work together and am hoping that the scenarios are based on adventures from the books. I'm going into this completely cold, so haven't been looking at any updates. I loved the brutality of Ashardalon, so I'm hoping this is going to be similar.

I hope Shimmergloom is in it for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting pretty excited for it. The new character mechanics sound pretty cool. Hopefully they follow this one up with an Advanced Adventure Rule set. Avanced version could totally up the ante on the campaign rules and also allow character progression past level 2.A Dragonlance setting would be nice down the road too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
strideristhebest wrote:

No. I preordered it from Amazon *months* ago for a good price, and I'm absolutely certain that they'll keep pushing back the delivery date for me before eventually cancelling my order, saying that they can't supply the game within a reasonable time, while at the same time selling - and actually delivering - the game to other customers at a new, much higher, price.

My certainty is based on the way that they've done this to me before.

And yet you order with Amazon again?

They've done this to me, too, twice, and I never order games from Amazon any more. They stink. (Except for books.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game at GenCon and it looked awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Finley
United States
Aston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think Legend of Drizzt will be pretty neat. I would rather have something involving The Knights of Myth Drannor, but that's just because I got tired of the Drizzt series.
Heck, a game based on The Year of the Rogue Dragon trilogy would be cool. I would enjoy playing a party of dragon slayers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am! I loved the first two, though I haven't finished painting Ashardelon...I guess I'd better get on that before Drizzt gets released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually enjoy both Ravenloft AND Ashardalon. The 'brutality' is what keeps me coming back, it's how a dungeon SHOULD be.

I have Ravenloft + Ashardalon in the mail right now thanks to a trade. Are they really that bad? I'd rather they be difficult than too easy.

Think I'll go ahead and pre-order Drizzt. One of my favorite characters of all time, my wife even likes him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whats the improvement on LoD compared to WoA and CR?

improved gameplay mechanics?
improved treasure cards?
improved rules?
improved components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually enjoy both Ravenloft AND Ashardalon. The 'brutality' is what keeps me coming back, it's how a dungeon SHOULD be.

I have Ravenloft + Ashardalon in the mail right now thanks to a trade. Are they really that bad? I'd rather they be difficult than too easy.

Think I'll go ahead and pre-order Drizzt. One of my favorite characters of all time, my wife even likes him.

They are difficult, but not overly so. I thought the difficulty was just right. A buddy and I played through the entire Ravenloft game 2-player and we only lost twice, although a couple of other times we had close calls. You will find ways to mitigate the difficulty with team tactics and judicious spending of XP cards to cancel bad events. You do need to play with somebody who is willing to use some teamwork, or you will probably get frustrated fast.

Really, it wouldn't be nearly as fun if it were any easier.

I haven't played Ashardalon but I'd assume the difficulty would be on par with Castle Ravenloft.

As for Drizzt, I might eventually get the game, especially if there are some new mechanics or improvements. If it's essentially the same game re-themed then I'll probably pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty excited for it - I'm hoping to get it for my oldest son who is HUGE Drizzt fan. The new comic is out now as well and it's pretty good:

[geekurl=https://shop.idwpublishing.com/comics/series/dungeons-dragons/drizzt.html[/geekurl]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.