Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my entry for the Iron Game Designers contest. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/680364/iron-game-designe...

I've started work on the cards, and have a basic framework of the rules on scraps of paper.

Dark Star is a Sci-fi Classic written by John Carpenter, and Dan O'Bannon. Directed by John Carpenter.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069945/

It was Carpenters first film, and had a budget of approximately $60,000. In spite of this, the film has become a cult classic...among a few of us A very few...

As I get more things done, I will post them here.

Eagles

------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: So I have things in a playable state, and just have to tweak and playtest this game as much as possible over the next couple of days. I have to say that this was a ridiculously mindmelting weekend that was the most fun I've had in some time. The combination of learning a couple new programs, AND trying to make a playable game in less than a week, may become addicting for me...

Here is the link to the pdf of all 54 cards:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&...

And here are the rules:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&...

I have updated the pdf file of the cards to fix some errors and omissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game is moving along quickly, but while 'researching' the game I stumbled upon a two DVD Dark Star set that makes the 83 minute movies to 118...and has a 3d model of the ship. Tomorrow I'm going to hit every video store in town to try and grab it. According to bestbuy and walmart.com they both carry it for 15 or 20 bucks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an example of a card without games text:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and please let me know what you think...good or bad. I've been married over 13 years now, so its impossible to hurt my feelings...

Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't seen the movie (or even, I'm ashamed to say, heard of it), but the game looks intriguing. Can't wait to hear more about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got the cards done:

And here are the remains of the day:

I will upload the pdf's to google doc's tonight or tomorrow, and I'm doing one more go around with the rules, which should be done by tomorrow.

Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Haven't seen the movie (or even, I'm ashamed to say, heard of it), but the game looks intriguing. Can't wait to hear more about it!

The movie isn't for everyone, but at the very least you get to see Dan O'Bannon (the creator of Alien) in his acting premier. He was a great writer and I would even go so far as to say a great actor.

You can watch the movie on Youtube if your so inclined as well.

Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: Moved the links to the top of the page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like it could be a semi-cooperative game, where the players must work together to save the ship, while simultaneously trying to end with the most VP. But the way the rules are written, it sounds like it is purely competitive, and if you're ahead by enough points, destroying the ship to end the game might be a winning strategy. True?

Regardless of that question, would it also be playable as a pure co-op? Since it can be played solo, I would think so, although it might throw off the balance a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think the train may have come off the tracks a bit LOL

You are right, it can be played several different ways, and I need to either embrace it or decide a single way to go. I tried to juggle the theme of the film, and a mechanic to simulate that but I think those two thoughts diverged and never looked back.

I'm going to print out a hard copy and reread the rules now I am one of those old guys that has little to no screen comprehension...I need to have a hardcopy in front of me to really do serious editing.

I do however like the idea of a competitive co-op, but as you said the solitaire is essentially a co-op. So I have to decide if I want to have the game played so differently depending on how many players there are...

Eagles
---------------------------

EDIT: Reread your post, and I think that I would like to stay with a 'competitive co-op' for multiplayer and will try to tighten up the rules to reflect that.

Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to get the wording right and make a few changes on the rulebook. Brain burning (any type of editing is mind destroying for me) stuff. So I'm taking a break and creating a vassal module for the game to give me brain a rest.

Eagles

I should have an updated set of rules by tonight or tomorrow morning, but as usual I'd love to hear any comments or critiques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the rules, and modified some of the cards. I've added an arrow in a circle thing to help remind players that some cards are 'play immediately'. I've also streamlined the text on several cards, and completely changed a few as well.

I changed Pinback to also be annoyed with Talby at the start of the game. I did this mainly so that every player card will have 3 dice on it at the start, so that you don't have to search for it later. I removed the 4 die 'requirement' and now each player card has the other 3 player color dice on it.

Things should be alot better now, but if they aren't lemme know.

Working on the vassal mod still. I got most of it done, but I hit a wall on how to get the malfunction cards to sit faceup in the play area...I like vassal alot but man its tutorial is...slim.

OH, and I updated the google doc links at the top of the page. They will take you to the newest files.

Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I have made an Vassal Module for this game. I consider it alpha at the moment as I have not playtested it yet. I also know that the Kevin forgot to add a few rules for the solitaire version of this game. Once he gets those to me, I will update the module.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0WBVnUE4NbHNzkzYjNhYTEtOGE...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the theme - next time, Assault on Precinct 13 (original version)

Anyway, still trying the game out, my first comment (and I am sorry I didn't give this a shot before the competition locked versions) is that the text is a little harsh on the eyes - though that could be a bad print out on my side. I do like the way you skinned the cards in general, really has the feel of the movie

Rotten Tomoatoes ranking for Dark Star:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dark_star/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments JustinKase, lemme go through the pdf's to find if it is a quality issue. I can't remember what font I used, but I will check that as well.

I need to update the solitaire rules, so that the vassal mod can be updated as well. It's been a very busy week for me, but I should be able to get it done today.

Eagles

And wow is that an awesome idea to do AoP13 next! I just may steal that idea from you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of which, where is the alpha vassal module? I thought I posted it here.

Well here is the post again:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0WBVnUE4NbHNzkzYjNhYTEtOGE...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Chad, I have tailored a new .doc for the solitaire game specifically for your fantastic mod you created! You really did a great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it work? I haven't tried it yet. I was going to do so after I finished more changes to Rallytaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently trying the Vassal version.

Vassal question: How do I roll the white die next to the deck? Right-clicking to it makes it look like an annoyance die instead of a rolling die

EDIT: OK, I took a grey die from the right side of the board. I still can't figure out why that white die exists

EDIT2: No visible way to count victory points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagles wrote:
Thanks again Chad, I have tailored a new .doc for the solitaire game specifically for your fantastic mod you created! You really did a great job.

Where is that? I am having some trouble playing, I'm pretty sure I don't get it right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules questions:

1) 'Draw one card. If it is a Malfunction card, put it immediately into play otherwise put it into your hand.'
- Which cards are the malfunction cards, the ones that say 'System/Status'?
- They are played in the middle of the table, so anyone can attempt to repair it?
- So if I draw one of these at the start of the game I actually play it at some point, otherwise I can simply save it in my hand to avoid troubling with it? Or play it for vp?
- Rule says that 'If you were unsuccessful in repairing the malfunction, discard the card.' Shouldn't the malfunctions stay in play?

2) According to the rules, cards like 'Asteroid Storm' are played from your hand anytime you want. Why would I want to play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The white die are used to measure annoyance with one of the characters.Only the black dice are used for rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys for the late replies! Had a family emergency yesterday afternoon that ate up the whole day...lemme read through all your posts.

Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moonleaf wrote:
Rules questions:

1) 'Draw one card. If it is a Malfunction card, put it immediately into play otherwise put it into your hand.'
- Which cards are the malfunction cards, the ones that say 'System/Status'?

Yeah...they have the ship schematic on them.

Moonleaf wrote:

- They are played in the middle of the table, so anyone can attempt to repair it?

Yeah, any of the crew can attempt to repair it. You also have to keep track of how many there are currently in play. So its best to space them out.

Moonleaf wrote:

- So if I draw one of these at the start of the game I actually play it at some point, otherwise I can simply save it in my hand to avoid troubling with it? Or play it for vp?

Whenever you draw a malfunction card you have to immediately put it into play. Even if its part of your initial hand.

Moonleaf wrote:

- Rule says that 'If you were unsuccessful in repairing the malfunction, discard the card.' Shouldn't the malfunctions stay in play?

That is a mistake and should read 'If you were successful in repairing the malfunction, add any annoyance to the crew member that repaired the card, and then discard the card.'

Moonleaf wrote:

2) According to the rules, cards like 'Asteroid Storm' are played from your hand anytime you want. Why would I want to play it?

That was leftover from an older version and I didn't revise it with the game

I will update the rules now, and post them up asap. Hopefully you guys are helping me get 'most improved'

Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Moonleaf wrote:
I am currently trying the Vassal version.

EDIT2: No visible way to count victory points

There is an area of the board to the right that says "planet cards and others". Put Unstable planets that you successfully bombed face up here to show their VP, or flip them facedown, to remove it from game and to show that you didn't get the vp's. Also, any card that is permanently discarded from the game goes here facedown as well.

Eagles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.