Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Skull» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you bid more than possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If 5 coasters are in play during bidding, can you bid 6 or higher (i.e. to overbid someone and sacrifice a card just to make sure the other person doesn't win the game)?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your bid is how many cards you can turn over "from among all those placed on the play mats." So no.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok, thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no maximum bids

If you take the complete sentence:

''The player who issues the challenge announces
the number of cards he or she intends to flip
over from among all those placed on the play mats
of all the players.''

It is not an obligation, the person just announce how many he ''intend'' to flip. He can be wrong, or bet more just to make sure one player don't have a chance to win on that turn.

I just take a look on the French rules and it is about the same. There's no obligation.

I'm waiting a confirmation from the designer.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefan B wrote:
There's no maximum bids

If you take the complete sentence:

''The player who issues the challenge announces
the number of cards he or she intends to flip
over from among all those placed on the play mats
of all the players.''

It is not an obligation, the person just announce how many he ''intend'' to flip. He can be wrong, or bet more just to make sure one player don't have a chance to win on that turn.

I just take a look on the French rules and it is about the same. There's no obligation.

I'm waiting a confirmation from the designer.



The most you can bid is the total number of cards available to flip. This is crucial to the strategy of the game in my opinion as you have to be extra careful about playing roses when somebody already has scored 1 point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no stipulation of any maximum.

The best strategic move I saw in this game is to bid over to avoid a situation where a player think it is almost sure the other player will win. By the sacrifice of one of his card, because it is sure he can't have enough Roses, the player bet on playing another round instead of seeing the other player win on that turn.

Saw this situation many times, I will wait the confirmation from Hervé, but it won't change the way i play the game if he says there's a maximum. I really prefer this way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played it both ways now (due to the original thread answer), I too like having the option of sacrificing a card to make sure someone doesn't win immediately. Curious to know what the designer thinks though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody had mentioned that they watched the designer demo this, and the ruling that there was a max.

Also, it should be forbidden to not allow you the option to sacrifice a card to make sure somebody doesn't win. If somebody guesses that all the cards are roses, they deserve the victory. I feel the game would be broken without this rule. I personally would never play the game without a maximum. (Though you are more than welcome to play the game as you like.)

And the stipulation of a maximum is kind of in the rules....

Under "Revelation", Reveal cards one at a time.

Lost Bet: If the challenger reveals a skull, they failed and stop flipping cards for their bet immediately.

There is nothing in the rules to indicate what to do in a situation where there aren't any more cards to flip. That alone could be enough to show that you can't bid more than the total number of cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Somebody had mentioned that they watched the designer demo this, and the ruling that there was a max.

Also, it should be forbidden to not allow you the option to sacrifice a card to make sure somebody doesn't win. If somebody guesses that all the cards are roses, they deserve the victory. I feel the game would be broken without this rule. I personally would never play the game without a maximum. (Though you are more than welcome to play the game as you like.)

And the stipulation of a maximum is kind of in the rules....

Under "Revelation", Reveal cards one at a time.

Lost Bet: If the challenger reveals a skull, they failed and stop flipping cards for their bet immediately.

There is nothing in the rules to indicate what to do in a situation where there aren't any more cards to flip. That alone could be enough to show that you can't bid more than the total number of cards.


Regarding your last point, I've read so many bad translations of so many games that I would say you can NEVER infer something like that from ANY rules booklet....
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Somebody had mentioned that they watched the designer demo this, and the ruling that there was a max.

Also, it should be forbidden to not allow you the option to sacrifice a card to make sure somebody doesn't win. If somebody guesses that all the cards are roses, they deserve the victory. I feel the game would be broken without this rule. I personally would never play the game without a maximum. (Though you are more than welcome to play the game as you like.)

And the stipulation of a maximum is kind of in the rules....

Under "Revelation", Reveal cards one at a time.

Lost Bet: If the challenger reveals a skull, they failed and stop flipping cards for their bet immediately.

There is nothing in the rules to indicate what to do in a situation where there aren't any more cards to flip. That alone could be enough to show that you can't bid more than the total number of cards.


Regarding your last point, I've read so many bad translations of so many games that I would say you can NEVER infer something like that from ANY rules booklet....


I agree. But in the same way I agree one can't infer that you can bid to an unlimited amount.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Somebody had mentioned that they watched the designer demo this, and the ruling that there was a max.

Also, it should be forbidden to not allow you the option to sacrifice a card to make sure somebody doesn't win. If somebody guesses that all the cards are roses, they deserve the victory. I feel the game would be broken without this rule. I personally would never play the game without a maximum. (Though you are more than welcome to play the game as you like.)

And the stipulation of a maximum is kind of in the rules....

Under "Revelation", Reveal cards one at a time.

Lost Bet: If the challenger reveals a skull, they failed and stop flipping cards for their bet immediately.

There is nothing in the rules to indicate what to do in a situation where there aren't any more cards to flip. That alone could be enough to show that you can't bid more than the total number of cards.


Regarding your last point, I've read so many bad translations of so many games that I would say you can NEVER infer something like that from ANY rules booklet....


I agree. But in the same way I agree one can't infer that you can bid to an unlimited amount.


True, hence my question. And I just reached the same conclusion - no ceiling on the bids means in theory it could just never stop, which seems pretty degenerate.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Brunell
Canada
Bromont
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
True, hence my question. And I just reached the same conclusion - no ceiling on the bids means in theory it could just never stop, which seems pretty degenerate.


It can't really degenarates, if the bids is higher than the cards because you want to sacrifice, and somebody bids over you, let him have the sacrifice then.

But anyway, I was wrong. Here's the answer of Hervé Marly:

''Il est interdit de proposer une enchère supérieure au nombre total des cartes posées par les joueurs sur les tapis.

Hervé Marly''

Translation:

''You can't propose a superior bid than the actual number of cards played on the table.''

Hope it help.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks! Will have to try it more both ways, but I think that makes sense (and that's what the second group intuited on their own)...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.