Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland» Forums » General

Subject: Quit complaining... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Gansen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already posted this on this forum on the Switzerland page.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7392686#7392686

I kind of wish everyone would stop their belly-aching about the 2nd map collection having Switzerland on the reverse. For those of us who missed Switzerland during its first printing, this is great. Now we don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a second hand copy or attempt to forge a copy.

Also, the 2nd map collection is still a pretty good deal. Let's look at India on its own... As far as an expansion goes, this is actually comparable to other games in the series. Switzerland was $30 when it was released, and Nordic, which for all extensive purposes is an expansion, is $50 (yes, it has its own Train cards and plastic trains, but really...). So, considering just India as an expansion, it's not bad. PLUS, for those of you who have over-used your original Switzerland board, you get a new board and a new set of cards.

Even if you get two maps with TTR Asia, one of them can only be played with a specific amount of people. Over all, I'd say Map Collection 2 is the best bang for my buck and is one of the next games I want to get (behind Marklin).
15 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one go about "over-using" their Switzerland board.

As for value, I think people are just upset that others, who didn't bother getting Switzerland the first time, are getting a better deal out of map pack 2.

Personally I paid about $30 for my Switzerland. If I was willing to do so for Switzerland, I'll probably do it again for the one India map.

I just hope that India is actually good, as Switzerland is by far my least favourite map.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And I also posted this on that thread:

luapnes wrote:
I kind of wish everyone would stop their belly-aching about the 2nd map collection having Switzerland on the reverse. For those of us who missed Switzerland during its first printing, this is great. Now we don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a second hand copy or attempt to forge a copy.

Good for you.

Of course, you are looking at it from your point of view and that's fine. Yes, for those that missed the first printing I guarantee it is great. However, for those that bought the first printing it is annoying, but I'm not sure if you understand my point of view as well as you do your own. Oh well, hopefully my Swiss map will sell and then, guess what, no more 'belly-aching' about it! (from me anyway)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gansen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see it from your point of view, as well. I guess I would be a bit disappointed if I had the Swiss map and had anticipated a completely new set of maps in the 2nd map collection. I guess the point I am trying to make is that while you may be disappointed, I still think it's a pretty good deal when you compare it to the other expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one's upset are the one's that get off on thinking they've got some "rare" gem worth "dozens of dollars" in their collection....shake The reality is that these people wouldn't have ever sold the game anyways because it's too important for them to brag about their OOP swiss map. Days of Wonder is a game company that wants to make money so they can keep making games and you know what, they're getting my money for the swiss map. Thanks Days of Wonder and Ian Vincent for a great map collection that I look forward to playing over the Christmas holidays


Edit: And my point is proven...

luapnes wrote:
However, for those that bought the first printing it is annoying, but I'm not sure if you understand my point of view as well as you do your own. Oh well, hopefully my Swiss map will sell and then, guess what, no more 'belly-aching' about it! (from me anyway)



Please explain why Days of Wonder should care about you making money off a game that they invested in and had all the risk of losing money. Didn't you buy the game to play? That's why they sold it to you and why they will keep selling it to others.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
The only one's upset are the one's that get off on thinking they've got some "rare" gem worth "dozens of dollars" in their collection....shake The reality is that these people wouldn't have ever sold the game anyways because it's too important for them to brag about their OOP swiss map.

And you would be completely wrong. I am not upset that others are getting the chance to own the map, I am really pleased that it has a re-issue. I would have preferred a different map other than the Swiss one, but that is simply because I already own the Swiss map - it's is not because I want some ""rare" gem worth "dozens of dollars"" in my collection. I enjoy the Swiss map and I wouldn't have sold it "because it's too important for [me] to brag about [my] OOP swiss map". Mine is an understandable position for someone who already owns the Swiss map and I am absolutely sure that those who already own the Swiss map, even those who say that they are not bothered by the addition of the Swiss map, take the position that they would have preferred a different map over the Swiss one.

skyzero wrote:
Days of Wonder is a game company that wants to make money so they can keep making games and you know what, they're getting my money for the swiss map. Thanks Days of Wonder and Ian Vincent for a great map collection that I look forward to playing over the Christmas holidays

I also understand that DoW needs to make money and of course they will do with this release and you know what? They'll be getting my money also, because I want the India map. Thanks Days of Wonder and Ian Vincent for a great map collection that I look forward to playing over the Christmas holidays
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
[q="skyzero"]I would have preferred a different map other than the Swiss one, but that is simply because I already own the Swiss map - it's is not because I want some ""rare" gem worth "dozens of dollars"" in my collection.


This. I didn't even know the Swiss map was out of print or worth more than what I paid for it until I read these accusations of people "getting off" on owning a rare game. I assumed it was as available as any other TtR map, which made it even more confusing that DoW would reprint it on the back of a new map. Now that I know it's a rare gem, I shall make the most of lording it over everyone who didn't buy it years ago. Until the repint hits the shops, at least...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
JoffW wrote:
I am absolutely sure that those who already own the Swiss map, even those who say that they are not bothered by the addition of the Swiss map, take the position that they would have preferred a different map over the Swiss one.

Don't speak for me. I already own the Swiss map. I recognise that the second volume of the map collection would be better value for me if it gave me two maps I don't already own, rather than one, but I recognise that DoW is a business and has to make these decisions as a business. Ultimately I would prefer that DoW make the correct business decision, so that they can continue making good games at affordable prices (which I may then buy). It would be nice if their needs and mine aligned perfectly, but when they don't, it doesn't necessarily mean my preference is to favour the most immediate value for me.

This particular business decision may result in me not buying the product in question as quickly as I would, or potentially never. (It all depends on how my finances change and what competing products vie for my dollar. That will likely include other products from DoW.) That doesn't mean this is the wrong decision for DoW, or that I would prefer that they made a different one. My single purchase is not worth enough, on its own, to justify a change on DoW's part.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have a Swiss map, and I'm thrilled about the re-release. (I re-re am!) For one thing, I got it on Tanga with the base game for a combined $64, so I didn't pay too much for it in the first place, but, even if that wasn't the case, I was too lazy to request the card upgrades and my map never, ever under any circumstances would sit completely flat on the table.

I think DoW could quell the whole anti-India sentiment by just offering a discount code to previous Swiss map owners. I don't think the Swiss map came with one in the first place, which is a pity, as they would simply have to re-activate them.

In an unrelated note: Does anybody else think I'm getting old for not wanting to go to see Thrice tonight because it means having to stand through 3 opening bands, which is bad enough, and it would also get me home near midnight, and I have to be at work tomorrow morning? I never liked opening bands, even when I was 20.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I already own the Swiss board and requested and received the higher quality replacement tickets. I already know that I will be requesting TtR Maps: Vol 2 for Christmas. After reading another recent post on this forum, I realized what I'm giving my friend for Christmas! And I can tell them that their gift is a $60+ out of print game. Hehehe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.