Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Campau
United States
Mt Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game, punched it over lunch and downloaded the excellent player aid in the file section. (Glad8r's). I brought it to the Friday night gaming group where we put together a three player game. Jeff, Brian and me.

There are five phases, so I will try to point out how things came along over the phases.

First off, Jeff took the knowledge tile that lets you sell goods for two silver instead of one. Brian and I took mines. I also took a castle and took an extra action, which is always good in whatever game you take. The goods only come out one at a time, and they did not come into the same depot until the second or third phase, I believe. We all managed to close out the small city section in the middle for our 11 pts. Jeff managed to sell a good for three VP's. Brian and I got our one silver for our mines.

Second phase, Jeff got the knowledge where a ship placement can grab the goods from two adjacent depots. So in just a few moves, he had an engine where he could get lots of goods and sell them for more money. He abused it all game, good for him. Brian used the ship first I believe because I remember, why would you take a ship for a lousy one good? Well, A) It matched one he had already. B) It advances you in the turn order. I can't tell you how many times I lost out on a tile because someone took it right before my turn. (And that was just in a three player game, I can't imagine how important turn order is in a four player game) I used a church to get a mine, so now I would get two silver at end of phase. Brian and I finished off a small city for 14 pts each. Jeff was just selling goods for 3 VP a pop. I also started my chicken kingdom with a four chicken tile.

Third phase, Jeff sold and took a warehouse to boot. I closed out the mines for 12 plus the bonus tile for closing out a color first for another six. Brian got the knowledge that lets you get four workers instead of two which was nice. He was getting some end game scoring tiles for later. Every one was closing out sections and we kept leap frogging over the score board constantly. I do remember how quickly things can turn around. Brian and I had two castles a piece in the green section, but it was Jeff who closed it out by placing a castle and using the extra action to place another one after getting one. Where did that come from?

To wrap up though, I got a huge chicken farm going where I scored 4, then 8, then 11. Then I switched to another animal to close out the pastures. I was the first to close out all of the cities, so by the end of the game I had a commanding lead. (or so I thought) Jeff had bonus tiles for # of goods sold and 16 pts for all of his warehouses. Brian had bonuses for buildings and 3VPs for every type of goods sold for 18pts. As the dust settled, Jeff one with 203, I had 190, and Brian had 189!

It was a little long as we were constantly looking at what the 8 buildings and 26 knowledge tiles did. Brian pointed out that as some of the tiles are not used in the three player game, his cows didn't come up like my chickens did Money was tight. Turn order is important, and you should focus on a strategy or two, because if you diversify too much, you won't get the same value of victory pts. We all agreed it would be fun to try the alternate boards on the backs which reconfigure your landscape.

I hope you enjoyed the review. This is a very good game with a lot of depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report.
Now if only I could buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.