Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the hybrid of mini's game and boardgame. The tactical movement, the map, the details of a miniatures game but all contained in one box.

A game like this pleases me: Gettysburg: The Wheatfield

Instead of time consuming, expensive minis, you have counters that actually look like platoons or regiments. The map is detailed and you move the units around via measurements. IF you wanted, you could replace the units with minis.

This seems to be easier to do with napoleon or civil war era war games.

But does one of these style games exist with WWII or modern day combat? ...I just love the ideas of moving platoons around a map, say, of a city, from building to building, firing on each other, cover fire, suppression, etc with more modern weapons.

here are the specs i'm looking for:

open map/gameboard (i.e. NO hexes)
counters that look like the platoon/regiment/soldiers
not just a rule set, but an all-inclusive game (i.e. rules, scenarios, board, counters, etc)
wwII or modern

Basically, a game like i listed above but later in history.
I just don't like the restrictive play of a game like Memoir, and I've already played/have hex and counter games like conflict of heroes, but don't want to get into "actual" minis like Flames of War due to time and money.

Any help please! Geekgold for good suggestions!

Also, i've already checked out Frontiers which is not really scratching the itch...I wonder if the game i'm hoping exists actually exists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it does, at least the WW2 one. I'd buy that title in a second if it did. I also mentioned previously that that game would be great for WW2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:

Also, i've already checked out Frontiers which is not really scratching the itch...

Frontiers was the first game I thought of when reading this post.

There was a WW2 version, Heroes of Normandie, in the works.
Would this fit the bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh...heroes of normandy....let me check that out...

Now if that game was being published, not just as a print-and-play, it would be the closest...but no cigar!

Thanks for the info tho...

Maybe I'll have to start working on something. The only problem is...I don't have enough knowledge of WWII to really hammer it down...I might have to go a more fictional path, but I really like WWII style combat...so we'll see what happens.

If any of you find something be sure to let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawn_cherri wrote:
Gettysburg: The Wheatfield is based on what are called "miniatures wargames rules".
There are thousands of miniatures rules published especially for World war 2.

Beware, if you get into miniatures you may spend more time painting then you will playing laugh

I think the OP looks for an alternative to miniatures wargames.
A game that plays like a miniature wargame, but is self-contained, with counters instead of miniatures and a board or map instead of selfmade terrain.
This type of game has the advantage that you don't need to paint or assemble something. In addition you save space and money as miniatures and all the accessories can be very expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dawn_cherri wrote:
surprise

Oh my, well then, sorry for intruding.
Your recommendations were thoroughly excellent, of course.
Didn't mean to offer any doubt.

shake

No problem.

Your suggested miniatures rules from John Bobek are very good for a DIY version of this type of game, I think.
They seem to be very flexible and adaptable.

I'm toying with the idea of crafting such a "miniatures game without miniatures"...

Rules are easy to get. Tons of free rules available.

And for the units I could use plastic chips, with a nice picture...

Not sure about the board or map, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.