Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
krobbins426
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on forced rest with baby number two. My board game playing skills and knowledge are a bit rusty, since I haven't had much time to play since my first daughter was born. I've been demolishing seafarers of catan and am looking for something else to pass the time. apps are better than online, since I don't always have wifi. The carc app doesn't hold my attention. And keltis and zooleretto I downloaded a while back and I found both very buggy and they crashed a lot. I'm supposed to limit computer time, since I also have had vertigo and blurry vision with this pregnancy. So something that I can play for an hour is good (even if that's several games). So, geeks, what do you recommend? Good value and ai for $? Ttr seems expensive and I wonder if it will hold my attention. I saw Tikal, but have never played. I'm wondering if knizia's games will be too repetitive and/or buggy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Cummings
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is great, I can't say if it will hold your attention but games are faster than Carcassonne.

Not sure if it is your taste but Ascension is also good.

Ghost Stories is great as well and solo games can take 30-45 minutes. It is hard to beat and keeps you coming back for more.

We also cover a lot of other games on iOS Board Game blog on the front page with board game news or at www.iosboardgames.com.
I have reviewed a bunch of games there as well.

I hope you find something to pass the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see if I can help. My favorites ...

Card based games ...
Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer - just like the actual card game
Dungeon Solitaire - caught me by surprise

Turn based strategy games ...
Highborn HD - colorful and humorous
Smallworld - just like the board game
Ghost Stories - just like the board game
Samurai - a Knizia game - no bugs
Ascendancy - the PC game from decades ago - a 4X SF game

Puzzle based strategy games ...
Puzzle Quest 2
Dungeon Raid
The Dungeon - my favorite of this batch
Labyrinth - a Knizia game - no bugs

I'm not sure how severe your vertigo is ...

Fantasy role playing action adventure (whew!) ...
Dungeon Hunter 2 - the best I have obtained - very very well done

Congratulations & Good luck with all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second recommendations for Ticket to Ride, Small World and Ascension.
Neuroshima Hex is also a impressive implementation of the real board game too. Actually it feels like it's been made for the digital platform as you do not need to worry about calculating the battle results.
For a light fun I'd suggest Bang! too.

All the best to you and your babies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like deck building games (like Dominion), Ascension is fantastic. Ticket to Ride is expensive, but is very well done and has lots of replay value with the expansions. Judging by the games you like, you might also enjoy Kniziaʻs Battle Line - itʻs still a bit buggy, but the developers have been pretty good about fixing issues. All three of these games have both AI, local, and online game play, so there are a lot of options for play.

And two more non-boardgame recommendations - iPacross is a collection of picross puzzles (kind of a cross between paint-by-number and a logic puzzle), which is really well done, and Astra Jigsaw HD for jigsaw puzzles. Iʻve found these both to be pretty relaxing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there are some lists available that might help you

Boardgames for Apple's iPad - The full list

iOS versions of Board Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
krobbins426
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. When I was on bed rest with my first, the computer play options were far fewer, mostly BSW. There are so many more choices now. Some of the games I'm not familiar with, but it looks like it should be much easier to learn through an app than it was with BSW.

I have high hopes for getting back to playing with people soon too. We made some new friends through our daughter that had Carc on their shelf and triminoes. So we brought over Settlers. Soon enough we should be able to break out some of the games with them that have been sitting on my shelf collecting dust these past few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F.
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I've been having a lot of fun with the Great Little Wargame app on the ipad. Plays like a boardgame as you move units around on a very attractive hex board with lots of maps to boot. There is a campaign as well as a simple skirmish mode for quick battles. You can also easily save your spot and pick back up if you get interrupted. (Three kids of my own. Happens a lot. )

I'd also give a thumbs up to Neuroshima Hex. One of my favorite "true boardgames" on the iPad. Good luck with the kid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.