Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
elbert munnik
Netherlands
Geldrop
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

My name is elbert and as you can see here on the geek I have a collection of 70 titles. I'm also a member of a gaming group with a private collection of 300 games. So my desires are met. Recently I met some people interested in playing games and every month we try to meet at least 1 possibly 2 times. They also got quite a collection of games. The problem I'm facing is that a personal friend of mine with only 4 games has become a part of our group and wants to start collecting games as well.

He doesn't need any of the games I own but still he wants to contribute to our gaming desires. What type of games should he get. He owns merchants and marauders, amazonas and keltis. Just recently he has bought Cadwallon city of thieves. Which titles would you recommend he'll get and why.

In general what types of games should a collection contain. How many Substantial games like twilight imperium for instance, what kind of player numbers. The average lengt of a game should that be a deciding factor. Whenever our group comes together we have 2,5 hours including explanation.

Any suggestion is welcome. Please tell something about the balance in your collection and what your favourite titles are so I can give some decent advise

with regards elbert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Elbert,

I don't know what other games your group has. In my case, I'm the only one providing games (mostly). A friend that has been playing with us for a couple of years has been buying once in a while some games, but again, I'm the one suggesting the games to buy, usually. At some point though, he came to a few convensions, and he decided to buy a couple of games that he did like. It happened that those games were not really to my liking, so I wasn't about to buy them. However, we've since played them and will play them again.

What should be in your group's collection? I don't think you should have this style or that style of game, or anything like it. You should get games you like playing. The same applies to your friend.

Does he have a familly with whom he'll be playing? I have many 2-player games, as my wife is often my partner in gaming. However, because 2 of my sons are playing, with myself, my wife and our friend, so with 5 players. This also means that I have to re-adjust my collection to that new reality. I need more 5 player games. So the size of your group will definitively play a role in the type of games you should get. Do you have enough to make 2 groups or more of 3-4 players? Or you only have 5 players and have to have everyone at the same table?

We are not much into high-strategic games, or very intense gaming. Our gaming style is mostly casual (Ticket To Ride, Starfarers of Catan, Small World). Games like Power Grid, Puerto Rico and Caylus really don't go well with our group. However, because we're very much into Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition), games like Descent: Journeys in the Dark, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game were a big hit with us.

Even though I have a large collection (at the time of this writing 411 games), many games are not played and are just taking space. This is something that needs to be adjusted for us.

Even though Twilight Struggle is #1 on the BGG list, it doesn't mean you have to have that game. Actually, out of the top-10, I've played 3 of them (none that I like enought to get a copy) and own 1 (yes, I haven't played that game yet, it's Agricola)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the possibility that you or he or the others in your current group will move away. So it pays to make sure one's own collection is up to that potential threat.

Me, I'm pushing 1000 titles, and while half of those are thrift fodder, I'm pretty pleased with my overall collection balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.