7 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you show or talk about your hand? Is the Zlich real? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Walker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is pretty much that: I just got the game not played it yet but played the original like twenty years ago and back then it was all about lying, swindling, bluffing and strongarming your way around -
is this still the case?
Can you lie or talk about the contents of your hand, even going far enough as to show cards?

I notice the Mind says he can look at the other player's hand but not talk about it, what if the other players keep saying 'does he have a negotiate' over and over till he cracks? What happens? Can the Mind hint at or find a cheaty way to get around this? I know people who would crack in seconds if you kept hassling them. In a similar way can you accuse other players of having say a negotiate to see their face reactions like poker? I always assumed this game is like poker.

I thought I better get this straight before we paly game 1 this thursday.

Oh and is the famous 'Zilch' a real character or fan made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make whatever grand claims you want about your hand, but you cannot show it to other players. That's almost verbatim what it says in the rulebook.

That just makes sense, really. What would be the point of the game if you knew what was in everyone else's hands? Encounters would be extremely bland.

Just as the Mind says, you can't reveal what you saw. If you really play with people like that, I'm glad I'm not joining you. Why don't you play Illuminati or something where cheating is encouraged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a loaded question referring to what is called "table talk". Some people play you can say whatever you want about your hand, just not show it. Other people play you cannot say or reveal what it is in your hand or another player's hand unless some game component effect forces you or allows you. I prefer the latter.

The Zilch is real. It's from Ye Olde Eon days to allow a 7th player to play the game, sort of. I'm not fond of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
What would be the point of the game if you knew what was in everyone else's hands? Encounters would be extremely bland.

That pretty much sums up why Aura was such a yucky power. As if it wasn't bad enough for everyone to know what was in everyone else's hands, the wild flare turned the entire deck face up and fanned it out. The only mystery left was how long it would be before somebody suggested banning the power from the game. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
SparkingConduit wrote:
What would be the point of the game if you knew what was in everyone else's hands? Encounters would be extremely bland.

That pretty much sums up why Aura was such a yucky power. As if it wasn't bad enough for everyone to know what was in everyone else's hands, the wild flare turned the entire deck face up and fanned it out. The only mystery left was how long it would be before somebody suggested banning the power from the game. ;-)

Yeah, really. Sounds like a real winner they had there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Walker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But cheating is encouraged - as long as you're using the classic Filch flare! Besides, surely you are supposed to push the powers as far as possible and use cons and tricks to get people to ally with you and stuff (I admit badgering the player is not exactly fun but that's what my brother's like!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordocean wrote:
My question is pretty much that: I just got the game not played it yet but played the original like twenty years ago and back then it was all about lying, swindling, bluffing and strongarming your way around -
is this still the case?

Yep.

Quote:
Can you lie or talk about the contents of your hand, even going far enough as to show cards?

You can say, you can lie, but you can't show.

Quote:
I notice the Mind says he can look at the other player's hand but not talk about it, what if the other players keep saying 'does he have a negotiate' over and over till he cracks? What happens? Can the Mind hint at or find a cheaty way to get around this? I know people who would crack in seconds if you kept hassling them. In a similar way can you accuse other players of having say a negotiate to see their face reactions like poker? I always assumed this game is like poker.

As a general rule, I'd say for the sake of simplicity, follow the rule as it says: you can't talk about the player's hand that you saw. However, even if you did allow such a thing, the Mind player could always be lying. After all, if the Mind tells everyone else what he saw, then he's giving up a large portion of his advantage. His whole advantage is that he has information that other's don't. Why would he just give away that advantage by sharing the information? On the third hand, there's nothing in the rules that prevents anyone else from talking about the contents of someone else's hand, such as when you've just given or taken compensation. Or with powers like Trader, Hacker, Philanthropist, etc. And any such talking could always be a lie anyway, so it really doesn't matter. "He just took card X from me as compensation! The X card is in his hand!" "No it isn't. I didn't take the X from you. You're lying." Who are you going to believe?

Quote:
Oh and is the famous 'Zilch' a real character or fan made?

It was in one of the Eon expansions, but there was never an alien power card for it. You don't really need one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.