Subject: Questions and looking for a FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does a FAQ for this game exist anywhere?

Also during Phase II / Phase III, can you make more than 1 development, world?

Which expansion is the best for adding more player interaction. Which is the best for a 5 person group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only build one development in the develop phase, and settle one world during the settle phase. (If you have "Improved Logistics", that specifically allows you to settle a second world.)

You should really add the expansions in order, as they build on each other. The second expansion (Rebel vs. Imperium) adds "Takeovers", which increases direct player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
F00LY wrote:

Yep, the files section, sort by hot -- it's #3.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/28939/race-for-the-galaxy-...

Quote:
Also during Phase II / Phase III, can you make more than 1 development, world?

Playing by the standard rules (not the 2P advanced game): No, not unless you have techs that say otherwise (there's a 2x settle card in the first expansion).

Quote:
Which expansion is the best for adding more player interaction. Which is the best for a 5 person group?

IMHO you should go in order. The first expansion enables 5P but no more interaction or rules than there are in the base game. The second expansion adds takeovers so you can directly affect other players.

EDIT: ninja'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
F00LY wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Race_for_the_Galaxy_FAQ

Stoffel wrote:
Quote:

IMHO you should go in order. The first expansion enables 5P but no more interaction or rules than there are in the base game.

The first expansion (The Gathering Storm) actually does add some interaction, in the form of Goals. It also allows 5p. I would recommend TGS to you, F00LY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
The first expansion (The Gathering Storm) actually does add some interaction, in the form of Goals. It also allows 5p. I would recommend TGS to you, F00LY.

Ah, hadn't thought of it that way but I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general tip, whenever you're seeking a FAQ on BGG, go to the game search box, type in the name of the board game, change the type from "Board Game" to "wiki", and click Go.

In this case, it leads to this page....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Race_for_the_Galaxy_F...

Both allow you to settle 2 worlds in one settle phase. Combine the 2 to settle 3 worlds IIRC, with the one by RSA must be a military world.

If you redefine "settling 2 worlds", TE lets you do that, as you're putting out a new one, and replacing a previous world on your tableau. However, net effect is only 1 extra world on tableau.

Note that when you play 2p adv. game and one player chooses 2 develop action cards, there are 2 separate develop phases in that case.

Yeah, can't really go wrong with exp #1 as the first exp to add. The goals do make it much more interactive (still not direct, but still there) and you get a 5th player set of action cards

2nd exp adds optional takeover mechanic, although its occurence is a bit rare. More goals are the nicer part though, as the first goals go from 6 choose 4 to 9 choose 4. Most goals go from 4 choose 2 to 6 choose 2. THis higher variety means you can't count on your favorite goals being out as much. Another set of action cards are included in this set.

3rd exp adds most interaction, but you need the 1st two exp to play with this...
--NO ACTION
--More TO powers (some combos let you take over non-military worlds, and even allow you to go after tableaux with no vulnerbilities while other cards and strategies encourage players to go further negative military, thus making them more vulnerable to takeovers)

--More goals
--Prestige Mechanic does force you to make choices about going after a player for "the most of this mechanic", or to cut your losses and pursue another path instead.
--Several other powers deal with having the most of something....

Similar to the base game's Mining Conglomerate...

EDIT: changed the term "weaknesses" to "vulnerabilities"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you, everyone.

This helped me so much, I feel like I have a MUCH further understanding of the game, a better grasp of how to use BoardGameGeek more effectively in general, and an unending desire to continuously play and keep testing!

Thanks so much! =)

Another question though:

How do you organize your game so you expand it, yet it is newbie friendly.

What I mean is, if you buy an expansion, regardless of whether you sleeve the cards or not, once theyre mixed, outside of spending a longgg time and a long list seperating them, they're mixed.

Down the road a friend wants to learn but you feel the (expanded) game may be too much on them. How do you deal with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
F00LY wrote:
Thank you, everyone.

This helped me so much, I feel like I have a MUCH further understanding of the game, a better grasp of how to use BoardGameGeek more effectively in general, and an unending desire to continuously play and keep testing!

Thanks so much! =)

Another question though:

How do you organize your game so you expand it, yet it is newbie friendly.

What I mean is, if you buy an expansion, regardless of whether you sleeve the cards or not, once theyre mixed, outside of spending a longgg time and a long list seperating them, they're mixed.

Down the road a friend wants to learn but you feel the (expanded) game may be too much on them. How do you deal with this?

Each card has a mark in the bottom left corner indicating which expansion it's from. That makes it very easy to separate the cards when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
For Race specifically, two options:

1. Pull all the expansion cards out again. You won't need a list, because each card has a small mark in the corner to show which expansion it comes from.

2. Buy a second base set. This game is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Beautiful!

Thanks again everyone, this really helps a lot. Now I feel good about buying sleeves and an expansion haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.