Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
The RallyBird Baseball board game
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, or should I say Bonjour!

I made this National Alignment chart in preparation for my first play...

I welcome your input-- any corrections? things to add?

Afterward I'll post a PDF of it. Thank you!

Cheers and Huzzahs for the Age of Napoleonic Games! --Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, french dominions are subject to insurrection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a note on whether an insurgent country which has had the insurgency put down (i.e. fail) can insurrect again or not? (I don't remember which.)

Also, aren't formerly insurgent countries lesser coalition members (fewer corps and such) than if they had entered diplomatically? Perhaps a note about that too (if it is the case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coalition member:

Quote:
If capital occupied by Coalition corps, immune to FR diplomacy

It is only true in case of a minor coutry. Coalition member major country is only immune to Frech diplomacy if it was previously insurgent.A neutral major country occupied by coalition troops is considered immune to French diplomacy.

I would be surreal just to have one coalition corps in Moscow and then Russia would be automatically immune to French diplomacy the rest of the game.

See this post
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/648582/occupied-in-coalition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply

Quote:
Coalition member major country is only immune to Frech diplomacy if it was previously insurgent.

Perhaps...Coalition member major country is immune to French diplomacy if (a) it is a previously insurgent (now Neutral or Coalition) or (b) previously a French ally that surrendered due to military conquest and has its capital occupied by a Coalition corps of a different (non-native) nationality.

Sound right?

R.V.'s quote--thanks for the reference:

Quote:
If a country, whether minor or major, was forced to surrender to the Coalition and its capital is consequently and continuously occupied by a Coalition corps of a different nationality it is immune to French diplomacy. In the case of a major country that is true only as long as it does not join the Coalition of its own free will (through diplomatic action) and can therefore no longer be considered "occupied". In the case of a minor country, because it is effectively considered as being forced to join the Coalition, it remains occupied (and immune to French diplomacy) only for as long as a Coalition corps is present. Of course, any country that successfully cast off French dominion status is always immune to French diplomacy regardless.

So it is possible to have "one coalition corps [that is not Russian] in Moscow and then Russia would be automatically immune to French diplomacy the rest of the game." - ?

I can imagine a war-weakened Russian government run by elite Russian factions militarily protected by class-suitable armed foreigners and controlling Czarist diplomacy as far as preventing French influence.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A note after my first play -- some of the info on my chart seems superfluous, as the Diplomatic cards themselves tell you exactly what they can do. So some questions never arose, I am happy to report.

A lot of other questions did arise, and we never used my prototype player aid, instead digging through the rules.

Most of the time it wasn't too hard finding the rules. Possibly we were aided by all the orange and pink highlighting I did.

Other than the fact that the cards help forestall some questions, I am not sure what to conclude, but I enjoyed the first game!

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
3.2.3.1 Diplomatic Action (see 7.0): Some cards
(Napoleon I, Talleyrand, Pitt, English Gold, Metternich and
Alexander I) allow the players to change the diplomatic
alignment of neutral or enemy countries during the
Diplomatic Phase or Peace Talks. Note that Britain, France,
French dominions, occupied major countries (but see 3.5.5),
insurgent countries and Coalition members that were
previously insurgent countries are immune to enemy
diplomacy. Österreich, Preußen and Russia can only be
turned into French allies if they are occupied by French controlled
forces.

3.5.5: An occupied neutral country is always immune to the
non-occupying side’s diplomacy; however, Metternich and
Alexander I can still be played by the Coalition player to turn
Österreich and Russia, respectively, into Coalition members.

While I can't remember if and where it is made 100% explicit in the rules, for purposes of diplomacy, the term "occupied" or "occupation" always refer to the capital region (or sole region in the case of a minor country).

Quote:
So it is possible to have "one coalition corps [that is not Russian] in Moscow and then Russia would be automatically immune to French diplomacy the rest of the game." - ?

To be clear, you're describing a situation where Russia was defeated by the Coalition and remains occupied by the Coalition. It could happen, but it is useless to the Coalition since anyway Russia can't be converted to French ally (through diplomacy) without being occupied by the French. So think of the Coalition corps as providing military assistance to neutral Russia against aggression by the French. Soon enough--if the right card comes--Russia will join the Coalition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your helpful comments!

I am reappraising what I am trying to accomplish with the player aid. Some of it seems redundant, since key info is on the cards. I don't think I need to explain everything about alliances (or can on 1 clear page), but I am not sure what is essential.

Also, there’s a similar (but rather terse) chart here.

So I’m going to play the game some more and try to note my issues.

“The real conquests, the only ones that do not cause regret, are those that are won over ignorance.” –Napoleon, 1797.

Here is a pic of the game opened for study with the help of Napoleon Boneypaws.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.