Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Eucker
United States
Cedar Grove
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have now played about 12 games of 3 to 4 players and we have won about 40%.

In all of the games played so far we hardly ever (maybe 3 times) used the Sacred Land as one of the actions, and never put the Vanir back to apply an effect. It just doesent seem worth it to use an action to move the Vanir when usually one can get an immediate effect by taking the approiate action directly.

I can't help but think I am missing something.

Comments please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We primarily move it up slowly until the last spot in order to complete runes. It's particularly nice because you can choose when to enact the influence of the rune.

But that's pretty much the only way we use the Vanir track...

Edit:
Out of curiosity, what difficulty are you playing at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
We primarily move it up slowly until the last spot in order to complete runes. It's particularly nice because you can choose when to enact the influence of the rune.

But that's pretty much the only way we use the Vanir track...

I second that! Very rarely I'll use the Vanir track to jump the Valkeries when a key island is blocked and resources are tight, but most of the time I'll even pass that up for a chance to complete a rune without a battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you play 6 players, sometimes it's nearly impossible to knock back an enemy if he moves several times in a row because only one person or at best two will have the appropriate weapon, so having the track stuck at the "move back an enemy" space for emergencies is pretty good. And then if you don't end up having to use it, it's only 2 more actions to search the deck for a rune.

I've also used it to move the Valkyries twice on a turn if an island is blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The top two spaces of the Sacred Land track are very, very helpful. Not sure what more to say than that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
... it's only 2 more actions to search the deck for a rune.

I've wondered about this: If you search the giants deck with the Vanir to pull out the one of your choice, do you shuffle what remains of the deck afterwards? If not, you'll know which giants are coming up next, and I'm not sure this is intended. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlewis2 wrote:
arkayn wrote:
... it's only 2 more actions to search the deck for a rune.

I've wondered about this: If you search the giants deck with the Vanir to pull out the one of your choice, do you shuffle what remains of the deck afterwards? If not, you'll know which giants are coming up next, and I'm not sure this is intended. Any thoughts?

It is in the FAQ

# Once a God have discarded a Giant from the deck thanks to the last stage of the Sacred Land, does he have to shuffle the Giant cards pile ?
# Yes, he does.

See http://yggdrasil.ludonaute.fr/en/faq2.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Eden
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Vanir in almost every game, and I use it to push back enemies.

First, if you are more than 1 god, this is a way to be sure to push Nidhögg back precisely when he reaches Odin's residence, without the need for a weapon. Since Nidhögg's ability does not trigger in Odin's residence, you save to enemy fights at once! For 5 Vanir actions you get enemy fights worth 2 actions and a bundle of vikings and elves.

Second, quite often I play to get all runes. Once that is done, and weapons are forged to a maximum, you have more actions per turn than you can use well. Rather than beefing up on more vikings and elves, the action is well spent on Vanir. After 5 turns, you get an enemy defeat for free.

You can check some very nice session reports with single gods at maximum difficulty to see some good use of Vanir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ada Knitter
Sweden
Malmö
Skane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hm, I've been thinking about that last state of the vanir track. In the rules book, it states that one can "discard" a giant with, whereas when one defeats giants, it says to put them next to the board (in order to collect the runes). To me, it's not necessarily so that one gets to apply the rune of that discarded giant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
AADA7A wrote:
Hm, I've been thinking about that last state of the vanir track. In the rules book, it states that one can "discard" a giant with, whereas when one defeats giants, it says to put them next to the board (in order to collect the runes). To me, it's not necessarily so that one gets to apply the rune of that discarded giant.

This has been addressed by the creator. He said you do get the rune, and it's the best reason to use this ability. You literally get to search through the deck and defeat a giant of your choice, so it's great for completing a rune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.