Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
I just spent $200 buying the third edition, new in box and wrapped, on eBay. It just arrived...

The hourglass smashed inside, the tile wrapping seems to have rubbed open and come off, so some tiles have twisted and torn badly out of the holders, and had all their surfaces scratched and sandblasted :-(

To round it all off, the figurines on one sprue had torn off and a few of the more delicate parts there snapped off and broke.

It's a massacre. I feel so sad and disappointed :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch

Much pain. You might want to see if GW can help, but this long after it was available from them, it seems unlikely

The hourglass was also broken in mine - took forever to clean that stuff out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying this game "mint in shrink" is really a buyer beware tale after all this time.

Sounds like you got the Worse Case Scenario of about everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Id suggest trying GWs customer service. They tend to be pretty good. Its unlikely you can get the tiles replaced after all this time. But they may be willing to replace the broken minis and timer. Though you may get standard 40k units as proxies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably the worst tale I have heard about buying a "new" copy of this game, but sadly not the only one. Having bought my copy less than a year a go I feel more and more like I dodged a bullet.

I really hope GW or your purchase source can help you out somewhat, but methinks there's no way to a 100% positive outcome at this point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I contacted GW back in May to get a few tiles replaced in my new, unopened set (one of the GS had cut through the tile plastic wrap and cut up 2-3 tiles), they had those tiles available in their "box o' parts" and shipped them to me quickly. I have no idea what their stock looks like now.

That really is heartbreaking to hear. I too feel like I dodged a bullet with my set. I purchased it new for $175, and the only parts that needed replacing were the 2-3 tiles I mentioned. The sprues were in perfect condition and the timer hadn't exploded, much like it did for the FLGS employee who suggested the game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had three copies pass through my hands so far and all have been in perfect condition. I guess I got lucky. The hour glass is not really a problem, the miniatures can be fixed with a little effort, but the ruined board sections is really tragic. Is their any chance that you could glue then press them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also using plastic cement will fix the delicate figure partts, just be careful to use very small amounts.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SO sorry to hear about this, and there not being much you can do at this point about it. Might I suggest perhaps selling the terminators on Ebay? The last few auctions I have seen for just the terminators went for well over $100 USD...you can at least recoup half of your investment by the marines alone. There hasn't been an auction for just the marines in a long time so you could see the auction go for a LOT more and then you can buy a new copy. This is what I'd do, personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you contact games workshop's customer support?

Also... ALWAYS buy insurance on purchases you get shipped to you. ALWAYS. That way if nothing else you can get your money back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Also... ALWAYS buy insurance on purchases you get shipped to you. ALWAYS. That way if nothing else you can get your money back.

This might be taking the thread OT, but I'm not sure I see the point of insurance. I've had a few online purchases go awry, and even if insurance might have helped in those situations, I doubt it would have helped to the equivalent of having paid a premium each and every time I made a purchase. Perhaps if I lived in a country that had really a unreliable postal system it might be different, but it seems on balance to me that even if occasionally things go wrong, it doesn't make insurance worth the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
corkysru wrote:

This might be taking the thread OT, but I'm not sure I see the point of insurance. I've had a few online purchases go awry, and even if insurance might have helped in those situations, I doubt it would have helped to the equivalent of having paid a premium each and every time I made a purchase. Perhaps if I lived in a country that had really a unreliable postal system it might be different, but it seems on balance to me that even if occasionally things go wrong, it doesn't make insurance worth the money.

Insurance on postage covers any and all replacement costs.
And since in America insurance is about 1.50 for up to 150 (and the fact that the USPS has damaged 6/8 packages so far) it has definitely paid off. Now if it is only worth about $20 then don't bother but since most of my online purchases are 75- 200 it is well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
The seller didn't have an option for insurance. They didn't even appear to speak English, or never bothered to respond to any of my queries, or my complaint about what happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You cant complain to the seller as you bought the game mint sealed in the box. Had they been selling the game opened and it arrived in that condition THEN you'd have reason to raise hell.

In this case its alot like buying it straight off the shelf.

In a simmilar case, some of us have bought sealed boxes of Knight Hawks minis years later. Only to open them and find the ships are pitted or in a few worse case scenarios, little better than a pile of dust. Mint in the box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M W
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It kind of happened to me too, in a small fashion. I bought it from a private seller, ha had opened it but haden't touched it really, all the tiles and figures was unpunched and in plastic wrapping still. But, even untouched there was things that was broken, like one GS hand, parts of the delicate C.A.T and bent details on the sarges wings. Nothing a little glue couldn't fix proper, but still...Makes you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fong Weihong
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah makes you think what? I opened a copy at release and a few delicate parts of the miniatures were slightly bent because... they're delicate.

Now about the thread OP, I think you were probably ripped off. Guy selling to you probably stuffed an opened copy back badly, causing damage and shrink wrapped it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to file an insurance claim you will need a receipt or an invoice or billing statement or cancelled check... something to prove its value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dustbiter wrote:
Yeah makes you think what? I opened a copy at release and a few delicate parts of the miniatures were slightly bent because... they're delicate.

Now about the thread OP, I think you were probably ripped off. Guy selling to you probably stuffed an opened copy back badly, causing damage and shrink wrapped it again.

Ive seen that stunt pulled before. Got a batch of Star Frontiers modules in shrink. They were not mint. The tip off was they were also selling the office copy of the game... in shrink... ook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.