United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three quick questions about order card #59

It Reads: Skirmish

"On turn 2 enter at any unused Entry Area. Kill or Capture all enemy soldiers encountered. Success gains 23 VP."

1) Does it mean encounter when you enter the board from your Entry Area or does it mean encounter throughout the entire scenario?

2) What constitutes having encounter some one? Do you have to have spotted them at some point in the scenario? Does it just mean kill all the opposing units?

3) If it means just eliminate all the opposing units isn't it redundant in a two player game as you'd win an automatic victory for eliminating all the opposing units anyways.

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards have to work for more than a 2 player game. For the entire scenario.

As to the diff between "kill all the other guy's troops" and "encounter," think about if your opponent ran some men off the board...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So at what point is a soldier encountered. When it is spotted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Einroy wrote:

Good question, the Kill or Capture all soldiers encountered requirement needs a clarification in an FAQ and the scenrios - especially when large multiplayer games are going on.

Soldiers "encountered" are soldiers that are spotted during play, and that can shoot at you or be shot at by you.

Success at the mission requirement is very difficult as any exiting encountered enemy soldier causes you to fail the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if this prompts an immediate, "then all he has to do is run off the board as soon as one of his guys gets spotted and I lose" response, keep in mind that the contents of the Order cards are kept secret, even from people on the same side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question on this and other orders that say enter on 2 or 3. So what the heck do I do on turn 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cycle Cards or maybe use the look action to hold cards for next turn.
The enemy does not know when you enter and you could be bluffing so he will play accordingly.

If solitaire do not look at Order cards until you have played your first turn action cards or maybe use a random method to decide when to reveal the order card e.g turn 2, 3,4. simulates getting the lie of the land before committing to a tactic or late orders from the platoon sergeant / lt (sounds plausable whistle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good answer...

The orders that delay entry are included to allow reaction to enemy moves. It is not always an advantage to react, especially if the player going first can gain defensible ground and establish an effective fire base. What keeps it from being a dominant first mover advantage is the ability to shift entry areas to mitigate the enemies time to prepare.

The narrative would sound like this "Hey Sarge someone is coming." Sarge, "Where are they?" Soldier, "Can't tell..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So legally I can keep my soldiers off the board even if I have move orders for them and my order card says enter somewhere on the board? Ex. American turn orders enter at area A and capture all landmarks. First turn Americans have 3 move orders but choose not to enter the board. Turn two germans are now allowed to enter the board germans get a move order phase one choose and move his men onto the board at such a location, Americans ignore move order. Next phase americans move they move onto the board. Allowing the americans to not give away their entry point to the germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not following how delaying entry--which hurts the US in this situation-- allows the US to "not give away their entry point to the Germans."

Do you mean that the US is choosing to have the Germans enter first, before they know the US entry point?

If that is the point, it is certainly legal. Jeff did put in a rule where, if you don't enter by turn 4, you don't enter at all, but you can wait that long I you want to.

Why you would want to is another question. If you want to "capture all landmarks", it is a good thing to get the jump on the opposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a big advantage to keeping your entrance point a secret since the Germans can also use this information to enter onto the map either very close to your squad to mess up a capture point or behind your squad to either fight or shoot from outside the Americans firing arcs. You could also be waiting for a better set of card choices before entering onto the map. If 1 move and all the rest of the options are shoot or look you may want to sit out one turn in hopes of getting a several move option the following turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Ambush!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:
Einroy wrote:

Good question, the Kill or Capture all soldiers encountered requirement needs a clarification in an FAQ and the scenrios - especially when large multiplayer games are going on.

Soldiers "encountered" are soldiers that are spotted during play, and that can shoot at you or be shot at by you.

Success at the mission requirement is very difficult as any exiting encountered enemy soldier causes you to fail the mission.
This seems to require a scorecard and fiddling during play (keeping track of every soldier spotted). This may be obvious, but am I right in assuming that this means "...soldiers that are ever spotted during play,...", and therefore a soldier that subsequently hides after being spotted has also been encountered?

kduke wrote:
Jeff did put in a rule where, if you don't enter by turn 4, you don't enter at all, but you can wait that long I you want to.
For clarity: Does this include turn 4 deployment, or is it too late to deploy after turn 3 ends? In other words, by the end of turn 4, or the beginning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say by the end of turn 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.