Popular Tags: [View All]
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Special credit and thanks to my daughter, Kate, for helping test and balance this variant.

-------------------------------

The game goes so quick that you barely get to see any of the real (card) action, ESPECIALLY with 2-player. We do love the game, as-is, and will continue to play it that way; but, we wanted a way to get more involved, especially with the fun artwork and flavor the cards add. So... enter the Extended Director's Ultra Special Cut of King of Tokyo!

-------------------------------

In the Extended cut, you play to 40 Victory Points... or be the last monster standing!

Play proceeds as normal, with the following exceptions:

NOT DEAD YET! - When you reach 0 health, you reset your health to max value of 10 (12 with Even Bigger in play on your side). This only occurs once, effectively doubling your health. Overflow damage that took you below 0 health is ignored this turn.

If you kill a monster in Tokyo who's NOT DEAD YET!, reaching 0 health the first time, you receive 5 Victory Points, that player loses 5 Victory Points, and you automatically take Tokyo (scoring the normal additional 1 VP for doing so).

If you are in Tokyo, and you kill a monster who's NOT DEAD YET! outside of Tokyo, nothing extra occurs. The monster killed resets their life to maximum (one time), and play continues.

If you have IT HAS A CHILD! in play, the effect only occurs at elimination, not when NOT DEAD YET! (i.e. when you reach 0 the second time). IT HAS A CHILD! causes you to lose 20 Victory Points rather than all.

Any other effects that occurs at 0 health will occur both when NOT DEAD YET! is triggered and when the monster is eliminated at 0 health.

-------------------------------------

Final thoughts:

We have so far only tested this with 2-players. While 3+ players certainly benefits more from the game as-is, it can still go too quick to get any real variety of cards into play, and well... we love the cards too dang much. Will be testing 3+ players next Wednesday, will let you know how that goes.

A fun and unintended strategy came about when close to triggering NOT DEAD YET! in that I actually didn't want to kill Kate's monster when I was in Tokyo and she had only 1 life the first time. I wanted that VP bonus! So, there was actually a brief moment where I didn't want to damage her at all, and it was a DOH! moment when I actually rolled the claw, forcing her health reset and not getting the points.

We originally played simply doubling health and VP to win, but as Kate quickly pointed out, just doubling the health means the first person in Tokyo gets to sit around twice as long. Thus, the VP exchange was born, giving the player in Tokyo a reason to give it up before the first death (and a reason to try harder to kill him).

We have a LOT of fun with this variant, and hope you will too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Reichler
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like this idea -- going to try this in my next 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea! Why do you steal points when killing someone in Tokyo, but not if they're outside of Tokyo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To offset the 'in Tokyo' victory point bonuses. With an extended game, it became too much of an advantage to stay in Tokyo and win with a VP victory. This encouraged whomever was outside of Tokyo to play more aggressively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.