Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm teaching a game to 6 players in a few weeks, and I'm concerned that Steam may be a tough learn for that many at once. (We have the new expansion, so we have a map for it)

I'm thinking about getting Railways of the World since it appears to be a bit easier. I don't see the rules posted on the game's bgg entry, so I can't really compare it myself.

Is there enough of a difference between the two games to own both?

(I posted a similar thread under recommendations, and I got a few replies that said RofW was a better fit for my group but nobody said whether it was worth it to own both)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both of them. I like them both, but tend to lean more toward RotW mainly because it's easier to teach and looks better on the table. You can also scale the difficulty back a bit by skipping the first player auction the first couple turns, and playing without the operations cards. For the rules, check the file section for Railroad Tycoon, or the Eagle website. They're basically the same, with a few name changes.

One thing to keep in mind though, is it takes up a lot of table space, so be prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,
Do you think it's a bad idea to try teaching 6 players at once? I would assume learning with 3 or 4 would be ideal....but we're going to have 6, and I don't want a looooong night of learning a game. Would this work?

That's actually the biggest motivation in getting RotW even though I own Steam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Do you think it's a bad idea to try teaching 6 players at once?

By teaching 6 players at once, do you mean two tables with 3 new players and 1 experienced player at each table engaging in a group learning experience? That would work. Do you mean 6 people playing on the same board? You do not want to play this game with 6 players unless all 6 are experienced and have thick skins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Do you think it's a bad idea to try teaching 6 players at once?

By teaching 6 players at once, do you mean two tables with 3 new players and 1 experienced player at each table engaging in a group learning experience? That would work. Do you mean 6 people playing on the same board? You do not want to play this game with 6 players unless all 6 are experienced and have thick skins.

The question (albeit not clearly written) was in response to Jeff's suggestion of RotW. So, even though this is in the Steam forum, I was asking if it would be a bad idea to learn/teach Railways of the World with 6.

I'm not sure if you understood that and are responding about RotW, or if you were answering in response to teaching Steam to 6.

Basically, our conundrum is that we are going to have a game night of 6. We usually have 4-5, and we have plenty of games that fit that #. I own Steam with the new expansion (that plays up to 7 assuming you have an extra set of pieces), but I'm concerned that may be too difficult and not fun (which I think you're confirming in your above post). We want to play something with at least some meat, so I was looking at RotW as an alternative. But maybe even that is too much? And I'm concerned it's too similar to Steam..

Imperial and PowerGrid also come up on lists for 6, but they seem to be the same weight as Steam. Airlines Europe appears to be a possibility, but I'd rather play something heavier. I actually have quite a few lighter games that will fit. If it comes down to it, we can always play 7 Wonders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff_Wells wrote:
For the rules, check the file section for Railroad Tycoon, or the Eagle website. They're basically the same, with a few name changes.

Thanks. I read the Railroad Tycoon rules, and the thread comparing the rules or RT to RotW, and I can definitely see how RotW would be much easier to teach than Steam. I'm not sure about downtime, etc. with 6, but teaching would definitely be a lot easier.

There are, however, definitely some small nuances I'll miss from Steam if I decide to get RotW. I like having the cubes all visible from the beginning. I also enjoy choosing between points or income when goods are delivered. And the maps seem tighter. The economic pressure in Steam is also a significant part of the game. At the same time, I see what RotW has going for it.

I'm still not sure it would be wise to have both in a collection as they are relatively similar....but I'm leaning that way. RotW seems like a pretty cool game and easier to bring to the table. And after RotW has been played, then Steam seems like the next logical progression. I doubt my group will ever get to AoS....and I think I'm okay with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both. I played railways first.
I prefer railways over steam. Railways feels epic, steam feels very dry to me. I like both. But railways more by a decent margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Do Jin Kim
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
I also have both Steam and RWW.

It just depends on whom you are playing with.

I'd play RRW with beginners to train games and Steam with experienced players.

It works great in both circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.