Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been bugging me for a while, and I just wanted to get it off my chest. I'm sure this has already been done somewhere else, but I haven't found it yet.
What inspired the ships of Twilight Imperium?
You've got your Battlestar Galactica represented in the cruiser.
Star Wars shows up with War Suns as the Death Star, dreadnoughts filling in for Star Destroyers, and maybe even the Corellian cruiser getting some love in the carrier, but that's a bit of a stretch if you ask me.
It's been suggested that the flagship models look a lot like the U. S. S. Sulaco, though I think I've seen that design elsewhere. I don't think that the fighters really look much like TIE fighters, though they both share the same design flaw; namely, how the hell does the pilot see laterally?
The space docks show a striking resemblance to Deep Space Nine.
Which leaves the destroyer, which I think I've seen somewhere before, but I'll be damned if I can remember where.
What do you think inspired these ships? If you can find a better comparison than I've given, I'd love to see it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was discussed somewhere else (check Shards and Shattered forums).

EDIT: found it http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/657900/whats-the-origin-of-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emancypator wrote:
It was discussed somewhere else (check Shards and Shattered forums).

EDIT: found it http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/657900/whats-the-origin-of-t...

Nah, I remembered that it had, but I was being a little lazy. It also hadn't really answered any of my questions, either. I was trying to get the discussion going again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flagships are definitely Sulaco.

I believe the carrier is based on the Orion starship from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

In another thread I think the destroyer was believed to be based on a ship from Flash Gordon.

The Mechanized Units seem to take some inspiration from Siege Tanks in starcraft.

The Ground Forces are clearly based on the rock monster from Star Trek the Next Generation whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
I believe the carrier is based on the Orion starship from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I'm not seeing it, personally. I'm actually thinking that it may have been another ship from the BSG reboot: the fuel refinery ship (it's in the poster image I linked of Galactica, above).

IncrediSteve wrote:
In another thread I think the destroyer was believed to be based on a ship from Flash Gordon.

Are you sure? It's nowhere near... er, shall we say, "cylindrical" enough...

IncrediSteve wrote:
The Mechanized Units seem to take some inspiration from Siege Tanks in starcraft.

Yeah, I agree, but they're so nondescript that it wasn't really an issue.

IncrediSteve wrote:
The Ground Forces are clearly based on the rock monster from Star Trek the Next Generation whistle

Remind me what the emoticon for a groan/eyeroll is again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
templarjr wrote:
though they both share the same design flaw; namely, how the hell does the pilot see laterally?

Because in space battles, there's no need to see laterally (outside the universes where any common sense goes out the window, like Star Wars).

I mean, here is your target: 1,000 km away (that's close range) that you can't even see with your eyes if it was in front of you... Now's the time to fire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Pean
Canada
QUEBEC CITY
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Carrier definetely looks like a ressource harvester in Sierra/Relic entertainment computer game Homeworld 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother_doomsday wrote:
The Carrier definitely looks like a resource harvester in Sierra/Relic entertainment computer game Homeworld 1.

There are some cockpit similarities, but I wouldn't say it's a wash. Props either way for bringing up Homeworld, now I wanna play it again cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.