Subject: Any good reason for the start word to be public? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just learned this game over the weekend. It seems like a lot of the unwritten-rules tension comes from the fact that the start word is public. So one decent strategy can be to do [start word] [article/conjunction] [synonym for destination word loosely related to start word but still arguably within the guidelines]. Appears that a secret start word would mitigate that. And I don't quite see the reasoning for even having the start word public, so wanted to check with BGG before implementing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cormier
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea and worth trying. One thing though - your example there could fall outside the 'spirit of the game' rules. Each 3 word phrase must be an actual phrase. But if you can make it work such that it still is a phrase and not 3 disjointed words - that's cool!

Let me see if I get what you're saying. If your start word was 'bridge' and your destination word was 'canoe' you're thinking of saying "bridge with raft"?

That's legit. You might not get canoe right out of the gate but you could be closer (or you could get a bunch of confused looks!). If everyone knew that's how you were playing then it would be more of a challenge to hide the first word. I guess the only benefit of making the first word public is that everyone can make sure it's used!

Let us know how it works for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
Just learned this game over the weekend. It seems like a lot of the unwritten-rules tension comes from the fact that the start word is public. So one decent strategy can be to do [start word] [article/conjunction] [synonym for destination word loosely related to start word but still arguably within the guidelines]. Appears that a secret start word would mitigate that. And I don't quite see the reasoning for even having the start word public, so wanted to check with BGG before implementing.

If you hide the start word that is fine for the first word of the turn, but as soon as someone guesses the first Destination word correctly, that word becomes the new Start word, and there's no hiding that - everyone knows what it is!

As for your clue ("bridge with raft" as Jay applied it), that's fine as long as it's a coherent thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.