Subject: Flooded Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Have recently played this game and have one question...

The rules state that, 'The Diver may move through one or more adjacent missing and/or flooded tiles for 1 action'.

Does that mean that the rest can't move through missing and/or flooded tiles? I'm meaning the flooded tile bit rather than the missing tile, cause that's obvious you can't go on a tile that's not there.

Seems strange that the Diver has an ability to do this especially the flooded bit, as the rules state that ANY pawn can 'move onto the flooded tile, but not move onto (or over) the space of a missing tile.' Therefore why make it a special ability for the Diver?

Look forward to your replies.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if its the proper ruling or not, but here's how our group handled it:

Our best interpretation was that "through a tile" means to literally skip over it without landing on it. You move through the tile and onto the next one.

So a diver would have an increased rate of movement when going through a flooded tile because he wouldn't have to first move onto the flooded tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, what lordrahvin said.

Also keep in mind that with the Diver you can move through multiple flooded and missing tiles. So if there happens to be a big gaping hole in the island, the diver can swim through it with ease
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'll keep it simple. Can a pawn land and stay on a flooded tile? Yes or No? (Not including the diver)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the way we play it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mofman wrote:
So, I'll keep it simple. Can a pawn land and stay on a flooded tile? Yes or No? (Not including the diver)

From what I understand, you can move onto a flooded tile, although there is very little reason ever to do so.

So if you wanted to go from one island tile to another,
Island Tile ------> Flooded Tile ----------> Island Tile
this would take 2 moves.

As a diver, however, it would only take one move:
Island Tile --------------------------------> Island Tile
It would take only one move, as the diver would effectively ignore any intervening missing or flooded tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mofman wrote:

Any pawn can land and stay on a flooded tile, so the answer is, Yes.

There are many times where you will move onto a flooded tile, so I'm not sure what is meant by having little reason to do so. A flooded tile may be a required artifact tile, Fool's Landing, or maybe between you and another tile that you need to get to. In each case you need to move onto a flooded tile. At the end of our games nearly every tile is flooded, so most moves end up being onto or through flooded tiles. Beware of ending your turn on flooded tiles, however many times you have no choice but to do so because you have no actions left to shore up the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Anyone can move onto a flooded tile (using 1 move action per tile, of course).

The diver can move through any number of flooded tiles (or missing tiles) for a total of 1 action.

So, the diver can move faster than everyone else, as long as there's water involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:

The diver can move through any number of flooded tiles (or missing tiles) for a total of 1 action.

So, the diver can move faster than everyone else, as long as there's water involved.

Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for. Diver = Any Number of flooded tiles/no tiles = 1 action.

That makes the difference!

Thanks all who have commented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Mofman wrote:
dcclark wrote:

Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for. Diver = Any Number of flooded tiles/no tiles = 1 action.

That makes the difference!

Thanks all who have commented.

Also keep in mind that the diver can "turn" mid-swim. The diver gets progressively "stronger" as the game goes on. The diver cannot swim around the outside of the island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mueller
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Broox wrote:

Also keep in mind that the diver can "turn" mid-swim. The diver gets progressively "stronger" as the game goes on. The diver cannot swim around the outside of the island.

That was my question, and I think I can infer the answer from what you said, but I want to be super-clear.

The diver can swim through any number of adjacent flooded or missing tiles.

I was thinking that meant they need to be in a straight line. But, you are saying they could turn in mid-swim.

So, if Diver starts in square A1, they could end up in square D3, as long as there was flooded or missing tiles in between, and only 90 degree turns were taken. They could even navigate around a non-flooded tile in this way?

Hopefully my notation makes sense. If not, I will set up an example and post a pic.

Thanks
KMueller

Edit: Dug a bit in the Diver thread, and found the answer. The diver can turn 90 degrees as much as he wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, if Diver starts in square A1, they could end up in square D3, as long as there was flooded or missing tiles in between, and only 90 degree turns were taken. They could even navigate around a non-flooded tile in this way?

In your example the move would cost you two actions because the diver still moves orthogonally. The moves are legal for the diver as long as they were not going outside of the boundaries of the original layout of the game and as long as square D3 is not completely sunk (flooded is okay) because the diver can't end their turn on a sunken tile.

The following long thread covers a lot of questions for the diver with input from the designer Matt Leacock.

Diver questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.