Subject: Postcards From The Edge 5. Fire In The East rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In this episode the Axis attention turns to Russia and my ally, Andy, gets to be beaten up relentlessly as well. I don't believe the Germans had lost much more than a couple of planes and subs up to this point and so attacked with a full strength army which enjoyed the by now usual good fortune with weather and combat rolls.

Not to be outdone, the CW continue to suffer at the hands of the Italians. I can't remember any other game where the Italian Frogmen managed to cause so much damage and I don't think I won a single naval engagement - which I like to think was down to very lucky die rolls on Laurence's part. Nothing to do with my poor play...

5. Fire In the East
May 1941 to October 1941

“All the previous week there had been many movements of enemy troops on the other side of the border. It seemed obvious that they were preparing for an attack. Our commanders were being told by high command not to worry - the Germans would never attack us. At dawn that day we realised that we had been right and our leaders were wrong.”
Corporal Yuri Yegenev, 43rd Infantry Division, Baltic Military District May 1941
Interview 1961

“Our assault started on time and drove forward against minimal opposition. The Russians seemed to be giving up the ground in front of us. Our unit covered enormous distances every day for that first couple of weeks - so much distance that we had wait for the supply columns to catch us up.”
Sgt. Michael Nees, 14th Panzer Division, Army Group South, May 1941
Interview 1961

Everywhere was chaos. The reports flooded in from all sectors and the news was without exception bad. No one could contact Walin. He refused to speak to anyone except for his personal assistant Jaana (“the Finnish drinking princess” as she was known around the Kremlin). If there was a plan of action, I certainly didn’t know what it was. The mood wasn’t helped by that smug bastard Nichill sending a telegram pointing out our error in ever trusting the jumped up Austrian corporal.
Dimitri Boblipov, Under Secretary, Soviet Foreign Ministry 1941-43
Memoirs

“The Italian Empire has today joined with our German allies in the crusade against the evil of Bolshevism. We will not rest until we have wiped this abhorrence from the face of the earth. Onward to victory !”
Benito Laurencini, address to the Italian Parliament, 4th May 1941

“It was decided to make a stand on the Neman. The Germans realised that they couldn’t bypass us and continue their drive on Minsk without risking the security of their supply lines so they were forced into a full scale assault. We gave a good account of ourselves but the sheer weight of enemy numbers eventually carried the day. The effort of carrying the position appeared to temporarily stall their offensive and the defenders in Minsk were spared an attack for the meantime. In the confusion our battalion, what was left of it, managed to escape the pocket and make our way north. We made contact with our lines and were reassigned into an ad-hoc formation and sent to the Leningrad area.”
Corporal Yuri Yegenev, 43rd Infantry Division, Baltic Military District May 1941
Interview 1961

The progress in the north is disappointing - I had hoped we would assault Minsk within the first couple of weeks - but this is more than offset by the spectacular gains being made by Army Group South which has already reached the Dnepr river. This progress has convinced the Rumanians to join us and despite less than favourable odds they have immediately assaulted Odessa. The attack was a startling success - the port was captured and the Rumanians lost almost no troops. With Odessa taken there was now no threat to our continued drive through the Ukraine.
Kanzler Johanns, diary 14th June 1941

No longer alone. I feel some of the burden of the struggle starting to lift. Surely the Soviets will drag Johanns into a mire just as their forefathers ruined that other jumped up Corporal in 1812. Meanwhile, we still have many problems. The Italians are all over us in the Med. I fear that Suez will fall unless action is taken - and if the canal is Laurencini’s hands he will reach for India. Wavell is calling for naval support to back up the troops that are arriving soon. I must support him.
Prime Minister Nichill, diary 18th May 1941

“The instructions to release the Victorious and the Courageous from our fleet to allow them to move to the Indian Ocean seemed unwise. We were just beginning to get the Axis convoy attacks under control and to lose two carriers from the theatre was a serious blow. I remembering wondering what were they going to do if the Italians did take Suez, but of course with hindsight there were other reasons.”
Commander Johnny Vaughan, Operations Director North Atlantic Fleet
Interview 1948

We have today ordered our Pacific fleet to begin rebasing to Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. From this base our forces will be better able to defend our interests in the event of a deterioration in the situation in this part of the world. In no way does this action constitute an acceptance that such a deterioration will occur, only that should it occur, we will be prepared.
President Simonson, Statement to Congress
18th June 1941

We have successfully advanced into Latvia, destroying two Soviet formations with no significant losses and are now continuing our drive towards Riga. Our attacks in the Vitebsk area have also eliminated Soviet resistance but the troops involved in this attack require reorganisation following stiff resistance. This will resolved immediately so as to allow continued progress towards Leningrad.
Feld Marschall von Leeb, commander Army Group North
Report 12th July 1941

Dnepr river successfully crossed at several points. Dnepropetrovsk assaulted and captured in well coordinated attack. Kiev secure. Immediate operations now to clear remaining Soviet formations in Donets basin. Rumanians now moving into Crimea to isolate Sevastopol..
Feld Marschall Manstein, commander Army Group South
Report 15th July 1941

The Finns have launched a surprise assault and are attempting to capture town. We are resisting as best we can ...
Commissar Boris Yeltsin, Commander Soviet forces Murmansk
Report 13th July 1941

Soviet forces defeated. Murmansk secured.
Major Sepp Raati, 4th Finnish Infantry Corps
Report 15th July 1941

Our forces have today commenced operations against the oppressors from the British Empire and Soviet Russia. In order to secure our goals we have allied ourselves with the Italian nation. Praise Allah !
Statement issued by the Persian Foreign office, 10th July 1941

Isn’t it about time we showed the towelheads who is the boss ?
Extract from the Times leader column, 12th July 1941

Franco had been badgering me for some time about the Portuguese question. His staff assured him that the operation could be completed without compromising our position at Gibraltar and eventually I accepted his proposals. Obviously, his staff had done their homework because the victory was swift and conclusive. Another possible avenue of attack for the British was closed.
Benito Laurencini, taped interview 1948

The fall of Portugal was another blow if not unexpected. All British subjects had been evacuated several weeks earlier. Of more concern is the Italian landings on the west side of the Suez Canal. This makes our position even more fragile in this theatre. With the entry of Persia on the Axis side, it seems likely that an attack into southern Russia will be forthcoming. Given the advances already made by the Germans, Walin’s position is looking shaky.
Extract from letter Nichill to Simonson,
20th July 1941

The landing at Dalmietta was a gamble but it was a gamble that paid off. Luck seemed to be with us and we were determined to make it pay.
Benito Laurencini, taped interview 1948

Riga assaulted and captured without significant losses. Proceeding with elimination of pocketed Soviet forces.
von Leeb, commander Army Group North
Report 3rd August 1941

Our forces have now reached Stalino and have engaged Soviet units. We expect complete annihilation of the enemy to be complete within the next two days. Rumanian forces have now crossed the Kerch Straits without opposition and have occupied Krasnodar. The first of the Russian oilfields are now in our hands.
Manstein, commander Army Group South
Report 7th August 1941

Lead elements of 2nd Panzer Army have bypassed Pskov and are driving on towards Leningrad. Infantry Divisions are assaulting the city. Anticipate capitulation of defenders within next 24 hours.
Report 11th August 1941

Stalino captured. All Soviet forces eliminated. Commencing advance to Rostov.
Report 19th August 1941

It is almost like the two of them are in a contest to see who can bag the most Russian cities. This is a contest I greatly approve of ...
Kanzler Johanns, diary 24th August 1941

Despite the fact that he does not seem to have the necessary forces, I believe the Italian will launch an assault against us imminently. With any luck we will bloody his nose.
General“Dingo” Jones, commanding officer, Tangier
Report 26th August 1941

Assault commences 0600 tomorrow (Tuesday).
Generalissimo Pierluigi Vespa, Commander Joint Italo-Spanish forces, Morocco
Report 28th August 1941

We still hold Tangier but have suffered heavy losses. The enemy appears to have suffered minimal casualties but will, at least, not be able to renew assaults for a couple of weeks.
General“Dingo” Jones, commanding officer, Tangier
Report 26th August 1941

Reports from Faroes Gap indicate that a large number of Italian submarines have been sunk. Remainder scattered. Convoys safe.
Message from Admiralty to War Office, 29th August 1941
The weather has turned and it has been raining across the sector for the past week. This is seriously reducing our mobility but our troops are now assaulting Vitebsk. Advance Kampfgruppen of the 2nd Panzer Army will reach Leningrad within the next 72 hours.
Report 6th September 1941

The rain has not disrupted our continued progress. Kharkov has been captured. Forward elements are approaching Rostov. We will push forward with all haste as directed and engage Soviet forces at every opportunity. The Russians are in disarray and defeat of their forces around Rostov will eliminate the Red Army in this theatre.
Report 9th September 1941

Two Italian officers were captured at 04:30 hours attempting to swim away from the carrier Implacable. It was quickly clear that an attempt to mine one or more ships had been made but despite interrogation, we were unable to ascertain where the mines had been laid. The explosion occurred at 05:45, below the waterline of the Implacable, and within 25 minutes she had sunk. No fatalities have been reported among the ship’s crew.
Extract from report to the Admiralty by Liverpool Port Military Police
18th September 1941

Further mopping up operations have succeeded in elimination of remaining Soviet forces north of Kiev. A major assault commences tomorrow in the Rostov area - we intend that the city and surrounding areas will be cleared of Soviet formations. This will cut the Soviets off from the Baku oil fields.
Report 25th September 1941

The Italians have cut supply to our forces in the Delta. Request naval units at Aden enter Red Sea to reestablish supply lines.
General Wavell, CinC North Africa
Report 24th September 1941

Carriers Courageous and Victorious, Battleship Resolution and supporting cruiser and destroyers have been ordered into the Red Sea. Supply will be restored.
Message Admiralty to Wavell, 26th September 1941

“In a series of engagements we have successfully surprised the British fleet and have inflicted significant damage without loss. The aircraft carriers Courageous and Victorious are confirmed sunk. This is a great day for the Regia Aeronautica ...”
Benito Laurencini, address to the Italian Parliament, 3rd October 1941

Bollocks.
Prime Minister Nichill, diary 4th October 1941

Elements of Persian cavalry have entered Samarkand. The invasion of the Urals has commenced.
Telegram from Laurencini to Johanns, 9th October 1941

Rostov and surrounding area successfully captured. Minimal losses suffered. No significant Red Army forces between us and Stalingrad.
Report 10th September 1941

Our first assault against Leningrad has been stopped. Following reorganisation and reinforcement we will re-engage the enemy. The city is isolated and Russian reinforcement is not possible.
Report 14th September 1941

It is imperative that we clear the British from Morocco. All the necessary assets have now been made available and you are instructed to assault Tangier without delay.
Laurencini to Generalissimo Pierluigi Vespa,
14th October 1941

The Italians have been stopped. We have eliminated their air forces and inflicted significant losses on the assaulting ground troops. Situation stabilized for meantime. We can, however, expect renewed efforts by the Axis next month. Reinforcements are urgently required if at all possible.
General“Dingo” Jones, Report 16th October 1941

Congratulations on your sterling efforts. Reinforcements may be a bit of a problem as the situation in the Far East is looking threatening.
Nichill to Jones, 17th October 1941

Well that’s helpful.
Jones, diary 17th October 1941

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Urals in OCTOBER 1941! Ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nicholls
United Kingdom
Bakewell
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Indeed. I can't quite remember what happened here, although I suspect it is a combination of Greg playing and rolling well for the Germans and the German army being larger tha usual due to very small losses in France.

We've found that if a player gets a consistent period of good or bad luck early on, it is often impossible to recover even if the luck evens out later. When both players on the Axis side get lucky in 1939/40, the Allies are in irrecoverable trouble. Similarly if the early German attacks in Poland go bad you are not going to get a great game.

It has to be said that using 2d10 combat really does help with reducing this problem and it is a mystery why we did not adopt it earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nailsworthnobby wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

We've found that if a player gets a consistent period of good or bad luck early on, it is often impossible to recover even if the luck evens out later. When both players on the Axis side get lucky in 1939/40, the Allies are in irrecoverable trouble. Similarly if the early German attacks in Poland go bad you are not going to get a great game.

This is true with many games that have one side on the offense early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.