Subject: The stars align rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play enough solo MR you'll often settle into familiar character strategies and sessions can become similar, even in a game as rich and varied as Magic Realm. Every now and again, though, you get one of those Woods Girl-Belt of Strength-Devil Sword games where something opens up that you've never encountered before and reminds you how many possibilities this amazing game has locked away, ready to pop out once in a thousand adventures.

I just had one of those games with the Captain. The Captain is my favourite character and I've played him a lot, both solo and multiplayer, but this game took me down a path I'd never been before. This could actually work by chance with any of characters. I'd been aware that it could happen in theory but had never done it before and working out how to manage it when I had all the parts of the jigsaw was a really fresh and exciting challenge.

Relevant optional rules were Commerce and Grudges and Gratitude. I started out at the Guard and bought an axe first day at Price x 2. When buying I also saw that they had both the Dragon Essence and Dragonfang Necklace.....they gave the notorious Dragon Essence and 7 Gold to me on that first day, thanks to the Commerce rules, and undervalued the Dragonfang Necklace at 8 gold. The possibilities were immediately obvious to me but it's so rare that these things come together in a one month game that I ignored it.

The first tile next to Evil Valley was Deep Woods with Stink M and the Hoard. It took me a few days to discover the Hoard and when I finally had, on the last phase of day 6, the site was crowded....Tremendous Flying Dragon, two Giants and a single Heavy Spider.....not so dangerous in himself but would ensure my death on a failed Hide roll by stopping me from running away from the big boys (which is the true purpose of the otherwise easy to kill spiders....very clever design). I was so tempted to risk a hide and day of looting but opted for safety and the possibility of something special.

I left the Hoard without looting and went straight back to the Guard, with whom I spent a couple of days trading to sell my shield and short sword at cost.....and buy the Dragonfang Necklace for Price x 2. Back to the Hoard and charmed the TFD from hiding first round. Second round his T3 head killed one Giant while the other Giant intercepted me, destroyed my helmet and picked me up. Third round the TFD's T3 head took care of that Giant before he could have his wicked way with me and the spider was short work after that.

The Tremendous Flying Dragon - Dragon Essence - Dragonfang Necklace combo was a thing of beauty. As a day spell I could keep him under my control as long as I cast it first combat round every evening (with a time of "0" so it was always guaranteed). He would fight for me (he's pretty good at that ), he would search in tandem with me (handing goods over before the charm wore off in the evening) and I could hitch a ride flying across the realm if he followed me. The only danger was facing multiple opponents, particularly if unhidden, because my first combat round was devoted to charming the dragon and I would have to wear the attack of any enemies, as I would also have to do on later rounds when there were multiple opponents as he could only kill one at a time.

The ridiculous run of luck didn't end there. Together we looted out his Hoard and among the finds were the Chest and Lost Keys (how rarely does that happen!?!).....and inside the chest were the Timeless Jewel and Magic Carpet!....almost redundant but I now had a permanently energised M2 fly for the couple of times I left Nigel behind (yes, I gave the TFD a name ) to revisit civilisation to sell off booty. I revisited the Guard and the Soldiers and despite swimming in cash, didn't hire them because they couldn't fly and would get in the way of the special thing I had going with Nigel.

We (well, mostly Nigel) killed every other dragon in the game, both giants, all the serpents, both demons, a few spiders and bats, the Octopus and the Patrol (that last was an accident...Nigel was hungry whistle). We ended the month with 50 VP....not my biggest win with the Captain (that's another story)....but certainly one of the most unusual, entertaining and memorable.

Love this game

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sula
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this fun session, Brent! I'm still amazed at the endless possibilities for amazing narratives that this game provides.
Also just wanted to send a word of thanks for your Character Example videos.
Those videos were quite helpful while I was trying to really grasp the flow of the gameplay, and your colorful narration demonstrated just how fun this game can be. Many thanks to you, Lawrence, and Stephan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fun session report. There definitely is Magic in that Realm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
We (well, mostly Nigel) killed [...] the Patrol (that last was an accident...Nigel was hungry whistle).

Great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful story, this magic thing the Captain had with Nigel the Dragon.

Was this Magic Realm called by any instance "Honah Lee"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.