Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are options for PBEM? I have seen the PC version, anyone use it on a mac using an emulator? I play VASSAL but don't see a module for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Many people run the Empire Builder Pronto software on a Mac via an emulator like Parallels or Vmware Fusion. If you have such an emulator, the EBP free trial download will let you give Pbem a try. I've been playing by email via the EBP software for over a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have parallels and I got it to work. So far after say 5 games against average opponents, the best I have done is second to last. I need to find some strategy guides or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game to work but now I can't get the email to work. Anyway around the setting up the SMTP server? Can I just save the game and email the file to the other player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
If EBP's AI bots are playing too strong, note you can adjust their style and skill in the Game Setup window when you begin a match. The weakest bot is the IA Newby style at Min skill. These settings influence several play factors, including how deeply EBP searches for good load delivery combinations.

A free email acct at Yahoo, though not 100% reliable, is compatible with EBP. If the Parallels emulator is not handling SMTP, yes, you can do the emailing for Pbem manually, though of course it will be somewhat tedious compared to EBP automating the process. Do as follows:

When you start the match, for each person set Type/Style to Human. This gets EBP operating in hotseat mode. When your opponent's turn begins in EBP, save the match to disk, then attach the resulting .ebz saved game file to an email. Your opponent will be able to open the saved game, take his turn, and manually email it back to you. Repeat until someone wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how we are playing it now. I did open a yahoo account but I think it needs yahoo+ to be compatible or maybe it has something to do with me using my Mac. Not as slick as in game emailing but still better than no game.

I did finally beat the 3 other players (set at average). I really liked to build track, too much I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Congrats on the win. When you find yourself winning regularly, as you probably realize for renewed challenge you can increase the skill setting for EBP's AI bots. Another handy feature for honing your game skill is the Turn, Suggest Plan pull-down menu. That analyzes your track network + contracts to suggest a load pickup/delivery trip plan a bot would use in your situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.