BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Co-op card games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big obvious one, which I have, is of course Lord of the Rings. It is, however, a bit heavy on rules and play area sprawl, both things that I'm more tolerant of than my wife is. What else would be a good alternative in case she doesn't really warm up to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which Lord of the Rings? There are 2, both co-ops:
Lord of the Rings
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Obvious co-op card game that springs mind is:
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card game, though I have been looking at picking up the older board game in case my wife the English teacher has her heart set on a LotR game.

I've got Space Hulk, and it's pretty good solo, but we tried playing it together, and the strategy and maneuvering just felt too clumsy. There's way too much stepping on everybody's toes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
davidbrit2 wrote:
There's way too much stepping on everybody's toes.

Thats kind of key to CoOps. If there s no potential for that, then two people are just solving a puzzle together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
davidbrit2 wrote:
There's way too much stepping on everybody's toes.

Thats kind of key to CoOps. If there s no potential for that, then two people are just solving a puzzle together.

I disagree. It's one thing to have to manage a limited availability of resources, but SH DA takes it a bit too far, and it's difficult to even move without ruining somebody's plan and getting them killed. Decent game, but it's just too messy and cramped for me to enjoy it much with multiple players.

I noticed there's a Resident Evil Alliance card game that lists 1 - 4 players. Is this playable co-op? The details on the back of the box weren't totally clear on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely different kind of co-op card game (but very fun): Hanabi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides those already mentioned, I know of:
Rune Age - One of the four included scenarios is purely cooperative
Chaos Isle: Zombi Deck
The Isle of Doctor Necreaux
Onirim - Only 1 or 2 players
Dungeon Crawler
Quick Quest
Thunderstone - Cooperative variant on BGG
Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord - Cooperative variant on BGG
Road Rage: A card game - Standard deck of cards
Nova's Ark - PnP (Print & Play)
RoboDerby: Express – 3rd Wheel - PnP; Cooperative variant on BGG Edit: Doh! Dice not cards!
Cardmaster: Adventure Design Deck - Out of print; rare
Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation - Not out yet

(based on a visual scan of PeakHope's comprehensive list of purely cooperative games)

I am curious about the "card game" requirement. Would a game that uses cards plus other components work for you? What about cardless co-ops?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to post Hanabi, but someone beat me to it

Also Onirim which is a clever and strange co-op cardgame.

Thunderstone has cooperative variants that work ok, though its clearly not what the game was designed for and some cards don't work playing that way.

And if I can get a last few pieces of art together, I'll be posting a print-n-play co-op cardgame very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Rune Age - One of the four included scenarios is purely cooperative

I might have to get that, then. I like a nice solo game of Runebound now and then.

Quote:
I am curious about the "card game" requirement. Would a game that uses cards plus other components work for you? What about cardless co-ops?

Just trying to round out the collection. I've got a number of good cooperative games where the cards are more an accessory than the primary game mechanic (D&D, Arkham Horror, Pandemic, etc.) and will probably get Gears of War soon. But I could use one or two more games where card play is the main focus (if there's a board or other components that play second-fiddle to the cards, that's fine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course, there is Elder Sign out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.