12 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Board size? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Croker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm very keen on buying this, despite the fact that I'll be playing solo. I've heard that this is a good game to play solo, by the way - can anyone comment on that?

Anyway, my main query is as follows; as much as I would dearly love to buy the game, I need to make sure I have the table space for it, as it looks rather large!

Anyway, I could possibly use a two table solution, so the tables I have available are as follows:

1 x octagonal table which is basically 4 foot wide at its widest - being octagonal it obviously has 8 sides, so the widest "side" is about 19 inches. So I guess the board would need to be no more than 19 inches wide ideally.
1 x occasional table which is 13 inch by 21 inch (approx).

Can I get the main board on one and the cards etc on the second? What do you reckon?

Cheers for any advice you can provide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H W
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since it's a Co-Op it lends itself to solo play well - though you'll need to play more than one character at a time to have a chance!

Re: your table, I don't think they'll cut it. 19" is roughly 48cm. The board might be narrower than that, but it's definitely a longer, and you'll get some over hang.

Without the big box expansions, I've managed to fit the base, the cards, counters, and room for two players on a 120cm by 70cm table. With 1 big box expansion, I add another 120x60 foldable table parallel, and rotate the board so it's across the two - plenty of room either side then.

I recently got another big expansion which I think will need me to lay the foldable table perpendicular to the original table (T-shape).

Of course, if you're soloing, you could play on the floor or get some foam core to create a flat surface to play on the bed?

Hope that helps, it is a big game, but well worth playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Croker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
heathengray wrote:
Since it's a Co-Op it lends itself to solo play well - though you'll need to play more than one character at a time to have a chance!

Re: your table, I don't think they'll cut it. 19" is roughly 48cm. The board might be narrower than that, but it's definitely a longer, and you'll get some over hang.

Without the big box expansions, I've managed to fit the base, the cards, counters, and room for two players on a 120cm by 70cm table. With 1 big box expansion, I add another 120x60 foldable table parallel, and rotate the board so it's across the two - plenty of room either side then.

I recently got another big expansion which I think will need me to lay the foldable table perpendicular to the original table (T-shape).

Of course, if you're soloing, you could play on the floor or get some foam core to create a flat surface to play on the bed?

Hope that helps, it is a big game, but well worth playing.

Heathen!

Thanks for the info, this is very useful. Just one query though, when you say that it's longer than 19", that's fair enough, but I may not have explained the main table I have available properly. When I say that it's 19" wide, that's just the width of one of the "sides" of the octagon, of which there are (of course) 8. From one "side" to the opposite is just on 4 feet (I think it's about 47.5").

So, if the board is 19" wide (or less), and 47.5" long (or less), it should fit, right?

Am I even making sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The base game board is the nominal 2' by 3' which is usually around 22" by 34". You could probably get the board on that octagon but I don't feel like doing the math!

The problem is the footprint needed to play. You can easily place most of the encounter decks on the board by being creative. No need to set those up on another table. The issue is the investigators and the amount of space they take up. They have their sheet which holds their info that you can't cover up plus all the cards they collect as the game progresses.

You might be able to fit these in the trapezoids left around the board. Depends on the number of players you have. 4 should probably work. Anymore than that, and you are going to be crowded.

I don't think a 2nd table will work unless you but it up against the first. Or you could use that for expansion boards when you get to that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great solo-play game, as currently about half of my games are solo.

But by the sound of it, you may have to become acquainted with your floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One solution, especially as it's a co-op game, is to play on someone else's table. Where you at in the UK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Croker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info, chaps! I've taken the plunge and ordered the game, so I'm sure I'll work it out, even it means getting re-acquainted with my floor

Darren - you make an excellent point, and I guess I could look for other players once I'm properly acquainted with the rules. I'm based in Liverpool, though, and judging by your profile you're in Exeter, so I doubt we'll be playing together in the near future, unfortunately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jr. Rosbach
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
The base game with the first two expansions (Dunwich and Dark Pharaoh) can be played by yourself, and you can still have a hope at winning. However, after that, you are just playing a losing game if you play this game by yourself. I mean, base game can be won, but with expansions the game becomes much harder.

You should note that I have all expansions and the game takes up about 15 ft by 10 ft of space (with people too). Soooooo....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marovin wrote:
The base game with the first two expansions (Dunwich and Dark Pharaoh) can be played by yourself, and you can still have a hope at winning. However, after that, you are just playing a losing game if you play this game by yourself. I mean, base game can be won, but with expansions the game becomes much harder.

You should note that I have all expansions and the game takes up about 15 ft by 10 ft of space (with people too). Soooooo....

If he only plays one investigator yes, but once he has a grip of the rules etc. he would presumably play more. I played two my first couple of learning games, then went to 3 and pretty much stayed there, find soloing 4 investigators a bit much a lot of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Croker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the continued input, folks. I have done a little research into playing solo, and intend to try learning the game with two investigators per game at first.

Not worried about expansions for now; let me just master the basics first, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not to hard to play the game solo without the board. I *think* I posted a cardless variant. PM me if you can't find it.

Also, the rulebook comes with a shrunken-down version of the board. You can photocopy it onto cardboard, and make a cheatsheet of the special encounters on the main board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Croker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's a very kind offer, Freelance, and one I may take you up on.

Having re-checked my measurements I'm a little more positive that the board and accoutrements will fit on my table. Certainly I'll come back to you if I run into space problems, though!

Having now bought the game, I'll also investigate the VASSAL modules for it - although one of the reasons I decided to take the plunge was (after years of not playing any boardgames despite loving them as a child/young teen) - to get me away from the screen and back around the table. I have to say, I'm absurdly excited at the prospect!

Anyway, now all I want is a Hoplite table from Geek Chic, who sadly don't ship internationally Oh, and a house to put it in, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.