Castaways of Deadmans Bay» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bonus for having complete crew set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could we get some clarification about how the bonus for having a complete crew set of a particular type exactly works?

The rules: "If a player acquires all crew of a certain type each of their attacks does 1 bonus damage of that type (Damage, Push, Crew)."

The FAQ: "When you collect all 4 of the same crew to your side, every attack you make while you have this set does 1 Bonus damage of the crews type. So for example if you have all 4 Push crew, and you hit with any attack you'll do the normal damage of that attack plus 1 extra Push."

1. Does it need to be a successful attack? i.e. if the defender guesses correctly, is the bonus still applied?

2. What exactly triggers the bonus? i.e. is it by (a) playing an Attack card that matches that type; or (b) having a Power Up card that matches that type?

For example, let's say I have a complete set of Damage crew, with the example below would I get the bonus no matter what I attack with, since each successful attack will be triggering at least one Damage effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Adamson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The bonus is triggered by any successful attack, and the crew-type determines the type of the bonus. So if you have all four push-crew cards, any attack that your opponent doesn't block pushes them one tile further.

The few rounds I've played have been decided by running out of crew - unlike the other victory conditions (which don't affect gameplay), progress toward stealing all of your opponent's crew means you become increasingly more deadly, and more able to steal crew -- the first player to nab all four yellow crewmembers has an easy road to victory. The other win conditions seem to be at a noticeable disadvantage.

While more play is needed to be sure, we've been thinking about trying out the way you suspected the rule worked: having all 4 crew members would give a bonus of their type only on a successful attack of the same type - essentially doubling your "base" powerup for that type.

I'll keep you posted...

-David.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Volkwein
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
David is exactly correct, if any of the attacks land 1 extra damage is done in addition to the normal stack.

The crew is a renewable resource similar to plank position but because of it's strength there are slightly more crew to go through than plank. Although the difference in power is actually intentional. Some victory conditions will seem more appealing at different times in the game and that feeds into the guessing mechanic.

Glad you guys are enjoying the game!
If you have any more clarifications, please let me know and I'll post them on my sites FAQ and include them in the next rules printing.
http://ponderzombiegames.com/Castaways/faq.html

Cheers,
~ Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.