United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a grumpy old man and one thing I've had enough of:

zombie Zombies zombie

I'm ready to go back to games about Egypt or trading in the med.

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not a fan of zombies either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
But once the djinni is out of the bottle, you can't put it back. Zombies have taken over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just shoot them in the head, problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:

zombie Zombies zombie

-E

You just haven't found the right zombie game. and I don't thin kits been designed yet..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Trading in the Mediterranean!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a train game can be set in the era of Cleopatra then, surely, a Zombie game set in Egypt cannot be far behind.

zombiezombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, a little bit of zombies goes a long way with me as well. Cthulhu, too, now that I think about it. Thankfully neither one of those two concepts has gained any traction for games of late...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you count mummies as zombies, it's easy: Curse of the Mummy's Tomb!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
If you count mummies as zombies...

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno.

Its less about, "There's no zombie game that I like" (because I quite like Mall of Horror). It's more about overall saturation -- which I guess goes beyond board games and into all media.

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies, Steam Punk, Biopunk, Neo Victorian, Cthulhu. Star Wars, Vampires...I'm bored with all of those themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Zombies, Steam Punk, Biopunk, Neo Victorian, Cthulhu. Star Wars, Vampires...I'm bored with all of those themes.

Yea..I gotta say. I never thought I'd be bored of Star Wars, but the new releases just leave me cold as well. On the otherhand I cracked open an old collection of the Star Wars CCG and had really fond memories of that one. I might have to get into it again. I wish they would turn it into an LCG.

what is "biopunk"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I've seen this sentiment about Steam Punk, and I gotta say I don't get it - I just don't see it as a particularly prevalent genre. There's a few board games and a few RPGs, but its not like there's been a big crappy blockbuster Steampunk movie or bestselling book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
baditude wrote:
It's more about overall saturation -- which I guess goes beyond board games and into all media.

It's quite ironic that zombie games (board and video) are quite like their subject matter - there's hordes of them, and they just won't die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
Just shoot them in the head, problem solved.

Double tap, just to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

I've seen this sentiment about Steam Punk, and I gotta say I don't get it - I just don't see it as a particularly prevalent genre. There's a few board games and a few RPGs, but its not like there's been a big crappy blockbuster Steampunk movie or bestselling book...

I agree that Steam Punk hasn't hit Hollywood mainstream yet (though the recent Sherlock Holmes had some of that going on). But where I see Steam Punk everywhere is in geek culture related events. Lots of Steam Punk comics and toys at my local comic and gaming shop. I really feel like I see a new indy Steam Punk comic everytime I go in. And this year at Comicpalooza in Houston, there was a huge Steam Punk push with a costume contest, so everyone was doing Steam Punk cosplay, and there were half a dozen booths dedicated to Steam Punk costumes.

That being said, I love it when my favorite genres hit the mainstream (though I am not a Steam Punk fan). I love that The Walking Dead is popular on AMC and Zombieland did so well in theaters. I'm looking forward to Zombieland 2, and I can't wait for World War Z.

Now, the Vampire stuff I'm not so big on. shake

The fine line comes in following and supporting the good ones over the bad ones. Like my love for the Marvel Cinematic Universe leading up to Avengers, while I will never watch X-Men Origins: Wolverine and I'm not excited about the new Spider-Man.

Pick and choose my friends. We don't need to support subpar geek-culture put forth by Hollywood know-nothing know-it-alls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
But once the djinni is out of the bottle, you can't put it back. Zombies have taken over.

I thought it was apes that took over!

Or was that zombie apes, or was it apes and then zombies. This planet is getting crowded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what makes this official...

I think maybe you are just bored. I will wait to see a notarised statement to that effect before I upgrade you to officially bored, from just plain ol' bored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
baditude wrote:

zombie Zombies zombie

-E

You just haven't found the right zombie game. and I don't thin kits been designed yet..

Agreed. The subject matters provides an ample theme for a lot of mechanics. Much like it hadn't really been respected as drama prior to The Walking Dead, it hasn't quite fully been utilized as a mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Egyptian zombie Trading in the Mediterranean!!!

Even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:

zombie Zombies zombie

What took you so long? To me, they've always been tedious.

And still no love for fishmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that it is just the running out of a fad. Personally, I still love zombies, especially the Walking Dead, but anytime something is hot-people will try to squeeze out the last drop in attempts to make money.

Examples:

Zombies- 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead remake, Resident Evil, Walking Dead and 50,000 crappy direct to DVD movies.

Vampires- Buffy, Twilight (shudder), Van Helsing (Double shudder), Underworld, True Blood, terrbile CW programs.

Pirates- Pirates of the Carribean, then the second one, then the third, then the ok fourth one.

Werewolves- Gingersnaps, Wolfman, and the Teen Wolf remake on MTV... and... um... Underworld again... and Van Helsing again.

Ok, so maybe the werewolf department hasn't really been explored and oversaturated, but give it time. Give it 2 years, the zombies will go away and be replaced by, I don't know, sharks seem to be getting popular then it will be another 20 or so years before they are popular again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
cferejohn wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Wha--? There are a metric frak-ton of steampunk books, of varying levels of quality; it's surely a surfeited market. In movies, we had a kickstart with the execrable Wild, Wild West, then League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Sucker Punch, and the new Sherlock Holmes movies are more indebted to steampunk tropes than to Doyle. Even this new Three Musketeers movie looks like it's taken elaborate clockwork machines whole cloth from steampunk works.

Now, after pointing out all of this, I'll say that I'm not tired of it! If it's done well, I think it's neat, and much more interesting than cyberpunk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
baditude wrote:
what is "biopunk"?

The word sounds intriguing, but a quick search showed it's a dystopian setting with genetic engineering gone awry. Not half as cool as a pansied tundra or planet of the apes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.