Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am in the process of correcting the French version of Arkham.
And I try to correct a few kinks in the French version but also in the english one.

For example :
* The Elder Sign is usable only during the Arkham Encounter Phase (dixit K. Wilson) why is it written Any Phase? Can I put Arkham Encounter Phase on the card?

* Ruby of R'lyeh is not exhausted ,when used. So I could use it, give it to someone who could use it give it to somebody else etc???

* Healing Stone is not exhausted ,when used. Multiple players in the same space could use it?

Many thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grouik wrote:
For example :
* The Elder Sign is usable only during the Arkham Encounter Phase (dixit K. Wilson) why is it written Any Phase? Can I put Arkham Encounter Phase on the card?

Presumably in case a future card allowed gates to be closed in another phase. So far none have come up, so Arkham Encounter Phase is probably safe, but there's nothing particularly wrong with "Any Phase".

Quote:
* Ruby of R'lyeh is not exhausted ,when used. So I could use it, give it to someone who could use it give it to somebody else etc???

As written, yes. Also as written, you can use it on one Investigator to get 3 movement points multiple times in the same turn. Almost certainly, therefore, it's supposed to be "exhaust to use" like the Map and Motorbike, though I've seen no official statement on this.

...Hmm, on that - anyone know if the Motorbike, Map, and Ruby can officially be used against in final combat against Ghatanothoa? Technically it's not the Movement Phase then, but on the other hand if you can't use them why word their attack in terms of movement points rather than Speed? (ETA: Technically, it's not the movement phase then, and so no-one has any movement points - can't read tomes, for instance - and so everyone gets devoured on Ghat's first attack...)

Quote:
* Healing Stone is not exhausted ,when used. Multiple players in the same space could use it?

I'm sure my copy of Healing Stone says that it is exhausted when used, though the photos of the card on BGG suggest otherwise. Anyway, yes, it definitely should say "exhaust" or it becomes "fully heal everyone in your location in Upkeep" which is a little too good even for $8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
__cim__ wrote:
grouik wrote:
For example :

Presumably in case a future card allowed gates to be closed in another phase. So far none have come up, so Arkham Encounter Phase is probably safe, but there's nothing particularly wrong with "Any Phase".

Quote:

As written, yes. Also as written, you can use it on one Investigator to get 3 movement points multiple times in the same turn. Almost certainly, therefore, it's supposed to be "exhaust to use" like the Map and Motorbike, though I've seen no official statement on this.

...Hmm, on that - anyone know if the Motorbike, Map, and Ruby can officially be used against in final combat against Ghatanothoa? Technically it's not the Movement Phase then, but on the other hand if you can't use them why word their attack in terms of movement points rather than Speed? (ETA: Technically, it's not the movement phase then, and so no-one has any movement points - can't read tomes, for instance - and so everyone gets devoured on Ghat's first attack...)

Quote:

I'm sure my copy of Healing Stone says that it is exhausted when used, though the photos of the card on BGG suggest otherwise. Anyway, yes, it definitely should say "exhaust" or it becomes "fully heal everyone in your location in Upkeep" which is a little too good even for $8.

Okay great thanks.
My goal is to simplify the game for fist time players and avoid as many questions as possible by making the rules and the cards clearer if I can. For example the whip and the cross I will explain their special power works even if you do not use them during combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to close gates in the other world encounters phase as well! Apparently you can not go for the seal in this instance (not confirmed by developers, but this seems to be the consensus) though which makes the elder sign impossible to use outside of the Arkham encounter Phase.

I think...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this on FFG too:

Most likely, the Ruby was supposed to be exhausted, which means you can't trade it off and use it multiple times. In fact, the very suggestion that it can be used multiple times by trading it between investigators would imply that it could be used multiple times by a single investigator. Nine extra movement points is nine extra movement points, whether three investigators each use it once, or a single investigator uses it three times. My assumption is that the thing provides three movement points, no more and no fewer—and following the outline laid by other similar items, it should be exhausted.

As for the Elder Sign, that's a "misprint." You can use it any phase that you seal a gate, but 99% of the time that's during the Arkham Encounters phase. There is some debate going on about whether gates that are closed in atypical ways can be sealed too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Healing Stone say something to effect Upkeep: Heal either one sanity or one stamina? I think it specifically limits one investigator to one healing point per Upkeep phase.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Healing Stone obviously cannot be used multiple times. However, that is during Upkeep (everyone's is generally done all at the same time), and the Ruby is used during Movement, which is done sequentially, which would accommodate multiple uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul V
msg tools
__cim__ wrote:
grouik wrote:
For example :

Why would that matter? You don't need to close a gate if you're going to seal it with an Elder Sign, only if you are trying to seal it with clues. You can seal an open gate with an elder sign.

The revised base rules state that an elder sign may be used as long as you have an explored token (so you can't use it on the movement phase *before* you enter the gate, and collapse the gate before being drawn in) but since it can be used on any phase, as the rules are written you could seal the gate during your Movement phase when you return from the Other World, and then you can get an encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rankinsect wrote:
The revised base rules state that an elder sign may be used as long as you have an explored token (so you can't use it on the movement phase *before* you enter the gate, and collapse the gate before being drawn in) but since it can be used on any phase, as the rules are written you could seal the gate during your Movement phase when you return from the Other World, and then you can get an encounter.

I'm not sure that's the case.
1) "Any phase" generally means "Any phase in which this is applicable". You can get some odd results with other "Any phase" powers by taking it too literally. (Try the same logic on Charlie Kane's special power, for instance)

2) From the AH rules, page 17, emphasis mine
Quote:
When an investigator returns from an Other World, as
described earlier, the player should place an explored
marker under his investigator marker. This gives the
investigator an opportunity to destroy and close the gate
during the next Arkham Encounters Phase.

This suggests that explored markers only "work" in Arkham Encounters

3) And page 18, emphasis mine:
Quote:
elder sign cards in the Unique Item deck. To use an
elder sign, the investigator must be at the location of the
gate and must have acquired an explored marker, just as
if
he were attempting to close the gate.

This suggests that other than the lack of clues and Fight/Lore check, everything else must be the same.

However, this ambiguity is probably why it has been officially "clarified" to mean "Arkham Encounters Phase".

Interestingly, this suggests an unusual compromise for that Blue OW encounter - you can use clues to seal the gate as normal even if you get LiTaS, because the "sealing with clues" paragraph doesn't say anything about being in the same place as the gate, just that you need to have closed it. Whereas you can't seal with an Elder Sign even if you pass the Speed check, because the gate isn't open to use it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
__cim__ wrote:
I'm not sure that's the case.
1) "Any phase" generally means "Any phase in which this is applicable". You can get some odd results with other "Any phase" powers by taking it too literally. (Try the same logic on Charlie Kane's special power, for instance)
Word!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer :

The Ruby can be traded from one investigator to another during movement, and each investigator who has the Ruby during the Movement Phase can use its ability. Of course an investigator can only give the Ruby to another investigator in the same street area, location, or Other World, so it does require a little coordinating. But it is legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouik wrote:
Official answer :

The Ruby can be traded from one investigator to another during movement, and each investigator who has the Ruby during the Movement Phase can use its ability. Of course an investigator can only give the Ruby to another investigator in the same street area, location, or Other World, so it does require a little coordinating. But it is legal.

This makes perfect sense. The Ruby is not a vehicle, like the Motorcycle... it is a gateway to the use of non-Euclidian space. Any number of Investigators a turn can vanish into a corner and emerge elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.