7 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deadly against the card Ice: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom zieveraar
Belgium
flag msg tools
I think I have the answer to this question already by reading some posts, but I'm not quite sure.

My opponent attacks me for power, he uses only one character with the deadly trait. I have in defense one character who has the Ice weapon attachement. With Ice, I can use it to kill a character (no deadly) who is participating in the challenge. However, is the deadly in effect? Meaning, will I still lose my character after I killed the character with deadly or is that gone as soon as the character is gone?

Can I even use Ice before my character is dead due to the deadly my opponent has?
(this I'm pretty sure is possible, I'm just not sure.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Unger
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
A Lannister always pays his debts.
badge
"There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes."
mbmbmbmb
There is a Player Action window between you declaring defenders and the challenge result being implemented (and Deadly resolved as a passive effect afterwards). In that Player Action window, you are eligible to trigger the effect of Ice (because the attached character is now participating in the challenge), discard it and kill the attacking character. The challenge then ends immediately, because your opponent needs at least on character in a challenge and that is no longer the case then. The Deadly effect is not resolved, of course

Page 20 in the above linked FAQ explains the timing structure in detail, if you are interested. Don't hesitate to ask if something is still unclear, the flowcharts can appear a bit overwhelming at first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom zieveraar
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info! And that link, it's a bit confusing at times but mostly pretty logical I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
My kids and I have a lot of timing questions these days.

For example:

-attacker declares a military (or any other) challenge with one attacker
[-defender declares a defending character]
-defender plays an event/uses a character power to remove the military icon from the attacking character

Question:

1. does this count as the attacker's military challenge for the turn even if the challenge is now void because there are no attackers (i.e. if all attacking characters are removed from a challenge does it count as that player's one challenge of that type for the turn)?

2. And, for question #1, does it matter whether the defender plays the effect before or after declaring defenders?

3. And, if it counts as the attacker's challenge and the defending player declares defenders, does the defender count as winning the challenge for response effects and such?

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:

For example:

-defender plays an event/uses a character power to remove the military icon from the attacking character

Question:

1. does this count as the attacker's military challenge for the turn even if the challenge is now void because there are no attackers (i.e. if all attacking characters are removed from a challenge does it count as that player's one challenge of that type for the turn)?

2. And, for question #1, does it matter whether the defender plays the effect before or after declaring defenders?

3. And, if it counts as the attacker's challenge and the defending player declares defenders, does the defender count as winning the challenge for response effects and such?

Robin

Actually, your questions are moot because removing the military icon doesn't remove the character from the challenge. Icons are necessary to DECLARE attackers/defenders. Once declared, removing icons doesn't affect their participation in the challenge.

In addition, there are also cards that let characters be added to challenges without be declared as attackers or defenders. No icons are necessary in those cases, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noddingoff wrote:

For example:

Question:

Robin

As Andrew said in your example nothing would happen but I'll answer the question as if something actually did remove the attacking character from the challenge.

1) Yes they still declared the challenge so it still counts.
2) Yes, if there are no participating characters in the challenge it immiedately ends. So if he did it before declaring defenders the challenge would be over, if he did it after he declared 1 or more defenders it would continue.
3) Provided the Defender had a >0 STR then yes they would be considered the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Oh my, we've been playing it wrong! Good to find out, my teenager will be happy.....

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.