Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of building a Tactics/Lore deck to compliment my buddy's Leadership/Spirit deck as we prepare to take on the third core scenario.

Any quick suggestions on what to think about as I build this sucker out?

I have the core set (which I can proxy up to 3x of any card) plus all three expansions released to date. So I can use any card.

I don't need a specific deck built for me, but from this that have been through it a few times, I would value some ideas on how to build for the scenario.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One basic rule I would suggest with your heroes is to go with Denethor from Lore and Legolas from Tactics. Denethor can be your defensive beast especially if you load him with Dunedain Warnings (for this you will need Song of Kings) and especially Burning Brand to cancel all Shadow effects against him. It means you can engage the Nazgul straight away (reducing threat in the staging area by five) and any attacks can be defended. Plus if you get the Forest Snare on him you will have no problems dealing with him. Legolas is a great hero due to his attacking ability to get progress tokens on the quest card, however I would get the Citadel Plate on him as soon as possible as the Hummerhorns are hidden in there somewhere and they can wipe out a hero as soon as you engage them.

The only problem with this is you don't know which hero will be captured at the beginning. This can make the game very hard and can wreck any deck you or your friend build for this scenario (experience talking here). For this you need to get as many progress tokens on the first quest card as soon as possible so anything that can help questing (Favour of the Lady is great for this as you can discard as many cards you need *this might need a rule check*).

Obviously there are some dead certs such as Sneak Attack and Steward of Gondor to slide in there but I would give the scenario a play through and figure out what you like most (everyone plays this game differently).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Maes
Belgium
Mechelen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While building your deck, you can take a few things into consideration:
- there are a couple of nasty Conditions in the encounter deck
- during the first two stages, as a group, you can play only one Ally
- there's a mix of low threat and high threat Enemies
- one Hero is removed from the game until 'rescued'

Miner of the Iron Hills to remove the condition 'Caught in A Web'.
Additional cheap allies with abilities like Sentinel and/or Ranged are welcome too. Being able to help your buddy is a must in this scenario.

Quick Strike to handle those low threat Enemies (they usually need but a strength 3 hit to be destroyed)

Feint to hold off the bigger minions until they're pound into submission.
Forest Snare would be more effective, but at cost 3 it depends on your Hero composition. Having a single Lore Hero could clog your hand if he's the one that gets captured.

There's one Objective card that requires the bearer to take 1 wound at the end of each round. Having a Self Preservation around (or Glorfindel) might be useful.

Plenty of Orcs in the Encounter Deck. Swinging a Sword of Gondolin helps you adding those progress tokens on locations/quest cards.
(unless you play a Dwarf Hero, the extra attack power is great for cutting through high armour Enemies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Maes
Belgium
Mechelen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Water Dancer wrote:
One basic rule I would suggest with your heroes is to go with Denethor from Lore and Legolas from Tactics. Denethor can be your defensive beast especially if you load him with Dunedain Warnings (for this you will need Song of Kings) and especially Burning Brand to cancel all Shadow effects against him. It means you can engage the Nazgul straight away (reducing threat in the staging area by five) and any attacks can be defended. Plus if you get the Forest Snare on him you will have no problems dealing with him. Legolas is a great hero due to his attacking ability to get progress tokens on the quest card, however I would get the Citadel Plate on him as soon as possible as the Hummerhorns are hidden in there somewhere and they can wipe out a hero as soon as you engage them.

The only problem with this is you don't know which hero will be captured at the beginning. This can make the game very hard and can wreck any deck you or your friend build for this scenario (experience talking here). For this you need to get as many progress tokens on the first quest card as soon as possible so anything that can help questing (Favour of the Lady is great for this as you can discard as many cards you need *this might need a rule check*).

Obviously there are some dead certs such as Sneak Attack and Steward of Gondor to slide in there but I would give the scenario a play through and figure out what you like most (everyone plays this game differently).

You can't play Attachments on the Nazgul.. (FAQ)

Protector of Lorien, that's the one that lets you chuck cards for willpower or defense. (as many cards as you like)

Considering speed is of the essence, I wouldn't include Song of Kings.
Especially if you take into consideration your team mate can play those Leadership cards from the start. (Song of Wisdom is a useful addition to a Lore/Tactics deck of course)

But like you said, we all have a different play style
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This is great. Thanks!

Any thoughts to the ratio between allies:attachments:events.

Should a tactics/lore deck be heavily weighted in any one way?

My first pass at building a deck was pretty attachment heavy at the expense of allies.

thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I built out a deck. Fair game for comments or criticism. Remember, I'll be playing with someone running a Spirit/Leadership deck.

Heroes:
Gimli
Legolas
Denethor

Attachements:
Dwarven Axe x3
Citadel Plate x3
Horn of Gondor x3
Blade of Gondolin x3
Protector of Lorien x3
A Burning Brand x3
Song of Wisdom x3
Self Preservation x3

Events:
Quick Strike x3
Feint x3
Swift Strike x3
Lore of Imlardis x3 (really struggled with this one vs. Strider's Path)

Allies:
Winged Guardian x3
Gandalf x3
Miner of the Iron Hills x2
Landroval x3
Radagast x3

With the restriction of one Ally per turn in the first two phases of the scenario, I was wondering if I am too ally heavy. Going to need to get Radagast out to help pay for those eagles though.

Anyway, if you get a chance to the ink about it, let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Maes
Belgium
Mechelen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say your attachment heavy

- Erebor Hammersmith is pretty cheap with decent stats and lets you recover an attachment from a discard pile.
- Rivendell Minstrel searches the deck for 1 Song card.
- Daughter of Nimrodel heals up to 2 damage to a Hero.
- Longbeard Map-Maker has the same stats as Erebor Hammersmith, helps you make a run for it when resources are piling up.

I tend to swap a copy of an Attachment for an Ally that basically does the same thing to get some versatility in the deck.
(keep in mind that some of these Allies might die quickly if Necromancer's Reach is revealed)

You're low on Healing cards, I wouldn't swap Lore of Imladris for Strider's Path. Then again, there are some locations with a nasty travel effect that you want to avoid. You could include a copy or two without dropping cards.

I'd say run the deck you've posted to see how well it does, you can always tweak your deck in between plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Mannix
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerethar wrote:

You can't play Attachments on the Nazgul.. (FAQ)

Protector of Lorien, that's the one that lets you chuck cards for willpower or defense. (as many cards as you like)

Considering speed is of the essence, I wouldn't include Song of Kings.
Especially if you take into consideration your team mate can play those Leadership cards from the start. (Song of Wisdom is a useful addition to a Lore/Tactics deck of course)

But like you said, we all have a different play style

Do'h! And here was me thinking I'm such a clever little smart ass! I need to replay through this anyway. Despite the Forest Snare scenario, me and my friend went a few turns before putting the Nazgul into play because the detail is on the Nazgul card, not the Quest Card.

Backing to the deck building board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy and I got this to the table last night. I was playing the deck I listed above (Legalas, Gimli, Denethor). He was playing a Tactics/Spirit deck with Aragorn, Eowyn, and Theodread.

Theodread ended up being the captured hero. Our initial Staging area didn't seem too bad. A few enemies at 35+ threat, some middling threat strength from some location cards . . . one encounter card attached to one of the three objective was a treachery card so that fell away. Not too bad overall . . . we thought.

My starting hand was ok and I was able to get Song of Wisdom out on Legolas along with Blade of Gondolin. Later on I played Radagast who helped recruit Winged Guardian. Gimili picked up Citadel Plate and later damage turned him into quite a fighting force. Daughter of Nimrodel was able to do a round or two of healing.

We ended up only playing six rounds before we lost. Aragorn picked up caught in a web which put him out of play for a bit. By then the enemies had piled up and even the lowliest Cavern Guardian was a serious threat.

My buddy was in a pretty tight spot. Without Theodread he didn't have much in the way of resources. It did turn out that threat strength was enough that regular questing, even with Eowyn, didn't produce much in the ways of results. About the only progress tokens we had were from Legolas' kills. I think we ended up with 7 of the 9 tokens needed to complete the first stage. Although, I know picking up any of those objective would have ended the game pretty quickly.

Ultimately, when I couldn't engage with anymore enemies ( I was as facing Ungoliant's Spawn,Chieftan Uftak, Dol Guldor Orcs, and a Cavern Guardian at one point) anything my buddy faced was destined to kill one of his heroes. By the sixth round our threats were pushing 48/49 on top of everything.

I think I learned enough that I can keep trying this deck. At the least I didn't learn anything that caused me to think I would change the deck. It was good to see the Radagast + Eagles show some results. He's a pretty good quester too.

Will have to try again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, we did it!

On our second overall play, my buddy and I beat the quest.

Our total two player score was 92 with no hero deaths.

Everyone was pretty beat up in the end, but all heroes lived. It was a strange encounter deck though. I think only one location made it to the staging area so we did little traveling. The enemies that popped up were manageable especially with a juiced up Gimli. Gimli + Legolas knocking out enemies kept the progress tokens flowing while Eowyn was in prison.

Once Denethor picked up Burning Brand he as a defending force (even more than he already was).

Once Eowyn was released, questing was no problem and we picked up the final two objectives without much worry.

Once in the open in 3B, we were ready to take on the Nazgul. He faced a snake attack from Gandalf and was defended by Denethor who negated his shadow card with Burning Brand. A Gimli/Legolas attack combo finished off the Nazgul. With the two progress tokens from Legolas' involvement, that finished off that stage winning the quest!

On one hand, a lot of things went our way. But on the other, we managed threat a lot better this time which allowed us to focus on taking out enemies and questing. Using Denethor as the primary defender is an open secret, but this is the first time I saw him in action. Wow. What an addition.

Looking forward to moving on to the expansion quests, but also coming back to this one down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.