Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link - very interesting indeed.

Typical tabloid-style writing, though; they show an ordnance man, an artillery man, etc. and make it sound like these fellows were all in the assault waves on July 1. Not that there was any truly safe place in the battle zone, but there is a certain perspective - it was more dangerous to be an infantryman, statistically speaking, in Northwest Europe in 1944 than it was in the trenches of the First World War. And for the ordnance or artillery, much "safer" yet again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never knew furries went all the way back to WW1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
I never knew furries went all the way back to WW1.

I can hear it now: "Fall back! Furries in the Trenches! Furries in the Trenches!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:

Typical tabloid-style writing, though; they show an ordnance man, an artillery man, etc. and make it sound like these fellows were all in the assault waves on July 1. Not that there was any truly safe place in the battle zone, but there is a certain perspective - it was more dangerous to be an infantryman, statistically speaking, in Northwest Europe in 1944 than it was in the trenches of the First World War. And for the ordnance or artillery, much "safer" yet again.

Statistics can do funny things. Although the trenches over the course of all of WWI, quiet periods and peaceful fronts included, may have been safer than one of the nastier battlefields of WWII, I'd still take NW Europe in the Second World War over the Somme in the summer of 1916.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:

Statistics can do funny things. Although the trenches over the course of all of WWI, quiet periods and peaceful fronts included, may have been safer than one of the nastier battlefields of WWII, I'd still take NW Europe in the Second World War over the Somme in the summer of 1916.

Nastier than what? I am led to believe that it was all "nasty".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:

Nastier than what? I am led to believe that it was all "nasty".

There are degrees of nastiness in battles. The post-Normandy-pre-liberation-of-Paris fighting, was harder fought and more destructive than the second half of the liberation of France, or the invasion of Southern France. But I still don't believe it could match the Somme, where you had 60,000 casualties on one side in a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
I still don't believe it could match the Somme, where you had 60,000 casualties on one side in a day.

Though not all were KIA, that # is the approximate equal to all U.S. deaths in Viet Nam*.

*a fact a friend pointed out to a girl raving about the enormous loss of life in VN -- upon hearing this, she looked up with that 100-yard stare, got up, and walked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
... The identities of most of the people in the photos apparently remain unknown.
I don't know about the people but the sheepskin might have been the source of the flu, the Spanish sheep flu. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for posting this. Can anyone make out the cap badge on number 7 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Peter for posting ...

gamer72 wrote:
... Can anyone make out the cap badge on number 7?

I can say (or better, ...see) nothing about img 7, but the badge on img 8 is a cap badge pre 1918, Army Ordnance Corps.

Sorry,

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Truly a priceless find. Peter thank you very much for sharing this with us all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Langdon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My great Uncle died during the Somme but not on the first day. Very interesting to see these photo's, thanks for posting it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.