Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I have played the Lord of the Rings: The Card Game 4 times. The first 3 plays we used standard single-sphere decks.

When we sat down to our 4th play, we both wanted to try it with heros from 2 different spheres but we didn’t want to spend time building decks. So, we did it randomly (e.g. I had 2 Spirit and 1 Lore hero so I used the 29 Spirit cards plus 15 randomly selected Lore cards plus a Gandalf to make my deck). We both realize that deficiencies in doing it that way, but are willing to suffer them because of our strong bias against spending extra time preparing to play.

After that session, we had new idea we plan to try the next time we play. Here is “Fubar and Fubette’s Variant for non-deckbuilders” – forgive me if this has already been proposed elsewhere.

Lord of the Rings The Card Game: Variant for non-Deckbuilders

Setup: Shuffle and place the four player decks to the side of the main play area. As per the basic rules, each deck gets 1 Gandalf card.

Before and During Play: Any time a player draws a card from a player deck, they may draw from the deck of their choice.

We do realize that this variant will give the players an advantage over the game, since they will be able to intentionally balance their hand by drawing cards that can be used by the spheres in which they currently have resources. That’s fine with us. In fact, we both like the idea of adding an additional decision to the game and eliminating the frustration that accompanies a resource vs. hand card imbalance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thought for those of us who arn't massively into deckbuilding. I suspect this approach will make some off the tougher scenarios very difficult indeed though as you won't have tailored your deck for maximum impact. You're going to need another houserule I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.