Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of trying to figure out if this or New York might be a good fit for my family (as the "New York" theme would make a lot more sense to my kids than straight Alhambra), but there's not much about the games that I can find - especially in terms of how they might play. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's seen wide release yet; only nine people own the thing. I'm curious about it as well. The board game version is exactly Alhambra with new art, so any review of Alhambra is a review of New York, but with a different theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this is complicated, but it's what happens when companies try to squeeze as much money as possible from an SdJ winning game.

Alhambra is an enhanced, boardgame version of a 1992 card game from Henn called Stimmt So. That game featured the same concepts of four different kinds of currency and bonus actions for paying exactly. The geographic aspects of the palace weren't there; instead, the players were trying to get the most in different shares of stock. The 1992 version was self-published by Henn; Queen released a much nicer looking version in 1998. It then rereleased the game with different graphics last year and called it Alhambra: The Card Game.

Earlier this year, Queen released a game called New York, which is very close to the original Alhambra. My guess is that the New York Card Game is the same as Stimmt So, except that it's rethemed to the graphics from New York.

You're obviously a better judge of what your family will like than I am, so check out the entries for Alhambra and Alhambra: The Card Game. You should find plenty of reviews there to base your decision on. Keep in mind, in case you have a lot of kids, that Alhambra does not, in my opinion, play well with more than 4 players. The downtime with 5, and particularly with 6, can be crushing. The card game plays better with those numbers, but is still considerably faster with fewer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played the Alhambra: card game

It is fast and fun. It's Definitely a "filler" but great for a family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this once last night. It has been years since I played Alhambra, but from what I remember this is the same. Four colors of currency, six colors of buildings, and three scoring rounds for most of each color of buildings. You either buy a building or pick up money on your turn. Without looking at the particulars, I imagine that tweaking the scoring points would "qualify" it as a different game. I don't know how to rate it, except that it is one that my lady friend will play with me that doesn't bore me to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.