Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I came up this summer, while I was away from home, and didn't have a printer at hand, yet I still wanted to play the new custom scenarios that were created in the meantime.

After having tried this, I am NEVER going to print on paper the custom scenario cards, but I am always going to use this method, as it is faster, cheaper and yet still very good looking (i.e. doesn't take anything away from the game).

DISCLAIMER: I haven't invented anything, here: it's just a "different" way of using the iphone (or any other handheld devide).

So, here's what I do:
I navigate the BGG pages with my Iphone, and save the images of the custom scenarios, to the photo library (so, usually, I have 6 pics per scenario: 1A, 1B; 2A, 2B; 3A, 3B).
DONE! the custom scenario cards are ready to be played.

I set the table, with the usual decks in the usual manner, but, instead of placing the scenario cards, beside the encounter deck (just before the staging area), I place my Iphone, showing the scenario card.
People will hardly know there's any difference, as the Iphone screen is just slightly bigger than the cards themselves.
When I need to place progress tokens, I just place them on the Iphone;
when I need to change stage, I just flick to the next pic.

Remember to go to the Set up options, and set the automatic OFF as "never", so the screen doesn't turn off (even if it does, it won't be a big issue after all, though).

I have played several games, like this, and am considering turning all the scenario cards (custom and official) into this, as it is A LOT easier to manage; plus I don't have to take around ALL those scenario cards (I printed all Ninjadorg's scenarios , plus the one I made Gandald' Quest - custom scenario (diff.7), plus Candaci's scenario scenario di Candacis (in italiano): A Caccia di Orchi (LIV4) plus Letsdance's custom scenario - Helping Friends

Try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not bad. I just have a regular phone, so it doesn't work so well for me.

If you have several dozen phones, you can stack them all and never have to buy another card again! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Z├╝rich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
snailien wrote:
If you have several dozen phones, you can stack them all and never have to buy another card again! :laugh:

Priceless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snailien wrote:
I just have a regular phone

I feel pitty for you laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought a printer for home. I think it was cheaper than an I-phone. And paper doesn't use batteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but I personally don't have a printer at home (I use the one I have in my office, which is black and white) and I would have to buy one specifically for this.

On the other hand' I have an iPhone, which I always have with me, so, for me, at least, getting a printer would cost me more, not counting the time to actually print, paste, cut and sleeve the cards.

I used this method while I was in my mountain house on vacation, and the nearest printer was miles away.

Like or not, I had two possibilities: copy, by hand the quest cards, or have the images on the iPhone.

Besides: how much would the iPhone battery charge cost? Seriously?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I do. I don't have a card printer, and don't want to pay for one. So I put the images on my iPhone! About the same size as the cards, throw the progress tokens on the phone, flick on to the next quest stage. Problem solved.
Before I figured that out, I played once or twice with the images full screen on my laptop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.