Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
When CC:A came out in 2006, I introduced my son to it.
He was 7 y.o. at the time, and he shied away from the game.
I was rather surprised, as he loved to play Memoir '44...
But it seems that the theme did not interest him that much.
He prefered modern conflicts, and even more Sci-Fi games (he has had a blast with Starcraft, the boardgame).

However, having discovered that fantasy games like SmallWorld and Dungeonquest, his mind recently opened to new themes.
He even now likes Agricola - whilst he did not want to hear about it some weeks ago!

So, seeing that other (older) gamers which were having a gaming day at my place express interest in a CCA themed gaming day, my son asked if we could not try CCA.

We played Zama and Cannae, and he is now very enthusiastic!
Even though he still has to learn some fundamentals about tactics, he wants to go on.
He told me that one of his main fears about CCA is that he thought it was too complex.
He was astonished to discover that the rules are quite simpler than he expected.

I do believe that the major factor of his change of point of view is his growing up.
A 12 y.o. kid does not react like a 7 y.o one.
It also helped that I made French translations of the playing cards (they are available on GMT's site), so the language barrier is overcome (he only speaks French and my first language is French).

All in all, I am glad to share nice moments with my son, playing CCA as well as most of the boardgames I like.
Patience has been rewarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difficulty of C&CA and C&CN relative to memoir is the large number of unit types and the various special rules associated. If you can find a good play summary in the files section, it will help a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
The difficulty of C&CA and C&CN relative to memoir is the large number of unit types and the various special rules associated. If you can find a good play summary in the files section, it will help a lot.
The game aids provided in the box are very good.
And as I have a good experience of the game, there hasn't been any major problem about the different units.
CCA uses much less different terrains in its battles (up to now, we played Zama, Cannae and Raphia, where there only is open ground), which makes it much lighter than M44 from that perspective.

I beat my son as Hannibal at Zama and as Varus at Cannae... but he slammed me as Ptolemee in Raphia (8 banners to 4).
He is learning fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must congess that I struggled with the different units at first, especially as Leaders have so many special rules to keep track of, so you're worrying about those when you first play.

I personally didn't find the included reference card that easy to read quickly. I much prefer the unit-by-unit card offered by Universal Head. You just look at the entry for the unit in question - no looking up footnotes, etc.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/34077/universal-head-cc-an...

You might find that you get on with that format better than the included reference cards.

Once you've played a few games you learn the stats for most units, as they're mostly quite similar, and you start to remember the patterns (e.g. Auxilia, Medium and Heavy infantry are all quite close in stats, except Auxilia have the ability to fire, and can move faster if they don't battle). The less frequently-used units (e.g. chariots in the base game) can easily be looked up without slowing things down very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.