Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAIWAN DEFENSE 2008
US NAVY SHORT CAMPAIGN
3 days, 21 SO

For a complete description of this campaign , squadron selection and starting missions, please review these links :

DAY 1 : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/695395/hornet-leader-short-c...

DAY 2 : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/696042/hornet-leader-short-c...

DAY 3 PRIMARY : http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7416753

DAY 3 SECONDARY : http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7425448

Description :

Im playing this campaign to illustrate the difficulty maintaining operations tempo in the limited 3 days time. No time to promote and No time for rest between missions, unless i spend 9 SO for R&R.

This is a very short campaign , only 3 days with 21 SO total. So i will go full throttle right on the start.
Even a single destroyed aircraft is not an option since that will reduce my VP significantly..

Target 27 is located on 1st Range Band with +1 Stress and -1 weight penalty. Target 47 is located on 2nd Range Band with additional stress and weight penalty. I hope i can do the missions near the coast since i dont want to spend too much SO on Aerial Refueling..

*Taiwan Defense 2008 Campaign Map

In this campaign i have to pull target 47 (Central Command) and 27 (Naval Base). Both give significant improvement to the Enemy and must be destroyed fast. But checking their defenses (Sites and Bandits) i can see these targets are not easy meat. Nevertheless i plan to destroy the Naval Base first so that any incoming Naval Fleet attack will be easier to handle.

Squadron Selection :

For Taiwan Defense campaign i am allowed to select 8 pilots in varying skill level (see table below). I choose BRICKS (E2C Hawkeye) for my Skilled pilot as he got 3 Situational Awareness that he can share with the rest of the flight and in addition he can negate bad event card draw and improve +1 AtA to all pilot. But taking the HAWKEYE also means i sacrifice the strike aircrafdt potential.

* Short Campaign Aircraft selection Rule

I spend 2xSO each for 2xF/A-18E Super Hornet in my team. I hope this will help improving original hornet's Weight Limit. This is going to be an All-Hornet team. No Tomcats , No Stealth, No Intruders, No Corsairs and No Harriers..

Pilot Roster selected :

*The Usual Suspects

I got 6xSO free special weapons limitation each day..

DAY 1 PRIMARY

*Primary Target

TARGET : (27) Naval Base (Fixed , Stress +1)
IMPROVEMENT : All 'Fleets' need +4 additional Hits
STAT : HIT=16 , VP=4 , RECON=2 , INTEL=2

*Tactical Display showing Enemies (Bandit enemies spawned at the Target-Bound Phase)

ARMING / WEAPONS LOADOUT :

To save Special Options (SO) points, i will spend my daily free SO (6 SO) for 6xGBU-16 and then for AtA insurance i spent 2 more SO for 2xAIM120. I have a feeling this target will be heavily defended by bandits and im not going to be caught cold with no missiles for defense. I also break my LESSON LEARNED RULE and i bring no ECM Pod. I plan to destroy all AAA/SAM site and then drop low level dumb bomb MK83 on target. with -1 Weight Point penalty for Range Band #1.

My Strike group for this target consists of :

- TIGGER (F/A-18E Average) : 2xAIM120 ,2xAIM7 , 3xAGM88 , 1xMK83
- SCOUT (F/A-18E Average) : 2xAGM88 , 1xAIM7 , 3xGBU16
- MUSTANG (F/A-18C Average) : 1xAGM88 , 3xMK83
- DUKE (F/A-18C Green) : 1xAGM88 , 3xMK83
- RAIDER (F/A-18C Average) : 1xAGM88 , 3xMK83
- BRICKS (E2C Skilled)

*Pilot Selection and Ordnance Loadout

TARGET-BOUND FLIGHT :

At target-bound flight, I got a 'FLEET RESUPPY : Gain +4 SO Points'. Nice event card that will help me manage my SO spending in the next 2 days..

At the Bandit draw i pull 8 Bandit counters and only 4 real bandits showed up, 2xMIG23 , 1xMIG21 and 1xSU27. The Chinese Air force must be suprised by this attack and they are now caught with their pants down.. my job is a lot easier now..

As i approach the Stand-off Area i drew another event card 'CLEAR SKY:No Adjustment'.. When its sunny its sunshine all day long, when it rains it pours... so i take these good event cards with a bit of dread lurking deep in my mind that the next event card draws will be bad luck upon bad luck..

*Tactical Display before TURN#1

OVER-TARGET TURN #1

RAIDER (Average F18C) used his 1xSA to initiate HARM AGM88 launch against SA-11 site (range:3) and destroyed it.. (Rolling an 8)

BRICK (Skilled E2C) give 1xSA to TIGGER (Average F18E, +1 AtA) and using AIM120's Independent Attack he targets 2 bandits :
- 1xSU-27 at East Approach area. A roll of 5 , +1 AtA and +1 E2C AtA gives a total of 7 and easily dispatch the SU-27.
- 1xMIG-23 at West Approach area. A roll of 3 , +1 MIG23, 1 AtA and +1 E2c AtA gives a total of 5 and destroyed the MIG-23

Since no enemy can attack my flight, all my pilots now launch their weapons against the remaining sites/bandits :
- TIGGER (+1 AtA) launched his 1xAIM7 and hit 1xMIG-21 on a roll of 2 (+1 Pilot AtA, +1 E2C AtA, +2 MIG-21 for a total of 6)
- SCOUT (+2 AtG) launched 1xAGM88 and hit 1xSA-88 (a Roll of 8)
- MUSTANG (+2 AtG) launched 1xAGM88 and hit 1xSA-15 (a Roll of 7)
- DUKE launched 1xAGM88 and hit 1xZU-23-4 (a Roll of 5)

After this attack against the enemy air defenses, all thats left is 1xMIG23 and 3xSA-6. I need to kill those SA-6 sites in order to have a peacefull LOW altitude bombing run over target (to drop my MK-83s)

Strike Group fly westward to the EAST Pre-Approach area and the lone MIG-23 moved EAST to intercept my flight.

*Tactical Display before TURN#2

OVER-TARGET TURN #2

The MIG-23 is now in range to shoot at my strike group, so i took 1xSA from BRICKS (E2C) and give it to TIGGER who shoot 1xAIM7 but missed. I use the last SA from E2C to SCOUT and send another 1xAIM7 and this time the mig is destroyed (a Roll of 7). Lucky for me there's no more Bandit as i am already out of AtA missiles.

Now all my slow pilots hit the remaining Air Defense sites :
- TIGGER (1xAtG) launched 1xAGM88 and hit 1xSA-6 (Roll of 9)
- SCOUT (2xAtG) launched 1xAGM88 and hit 1xSA-6 (Roll of 10)

Thats it , the rest of the group is out of AGM88 HARM, so they fly to the EAST approach area and stay at HIGH attitude where the lone SA-6 cannot hit them. SCOUT stayed HIGH because he dont have anymore AtG ordnance to contribute..

*Tactical Display before TURN#3

OVER-TARGET TURN #3

TIGGER (+1 AtG) launched his 1xAGM88 and finished off the last of SA-6. Now everything is clear for low altitude bombing. but in this turn SCOUT is in range to launch his LGB (GBU-15) , he salvo all 3xGBU15 and achieve : 1 HIT (Roll of 1+2) , 4 HIT (Roll of 10+2) , 4 HIT (Roll of 8+2). Thats a total of 9 HITs on target already.. i just need 7 more hits to finish this Naval Base..

* Three GBU caused more than half the required damage (9 of 16)

*Tactical Display before TURN#4

ERROR: my mistake here is launching GBU-15 at range:1. Only JDAM GBUs have the range:1 (at High altitude), Old laser guided GBU only have range:0 at any altitude

OVER-TARGET TURN #4

This is it, the final bomb drop over target, using old fashioned MK-83 dumb bombs , the flight attack the target in sequence :
- TIGGER (+1 AtG) dropped 1xMK83 and missed (roll of 1)
- MUSTANG (+2 AtG) dropped 3xMK83 and got 1 Hit (roll 4+2) , 2 Hits (roll 7+2), Miss (roll 1) = Total 3 Hits
- DUKE dropped 3xMK83 and got 2 Hits (roll 8) , 2 Hits (roll 7), miss (roll 1) = Total 4 Hits
- RAIDER dropped 3xMK83 and got 2 Hits (roll 7), 2 Hits (roll 7),1 Hit (roll 6) = Total 5 Hits

The combined damage from 10xMK83 inflict 12 Hits and combined with the previous damage from the LGB, i achieve 12+9 = 21 HITS !!

*Tactical Display showing 21 Hits on target

HOME-BOUND EVENT:

I drew 'ELUSIVE FLIGHT PATH' and i got to keep this card for later if i want to cancel a bad event card draw.

* from LEFT to RIGHT : Target-Bound Event, Over Target Event, Home-Bound Event

DEBRIEFING :

- Everyone got 2 XP and 2 Stress for this mission
- I got 4 VP for this mission and 2 Recon , 2 Intel
- I got extra 4 SO point from an event card , i used a total of 8 SO for weapons in this mission , i still got +2 SO for a total of 19 SO for the next day's mission

*Killboard comparing target destroyed in this mission with weapon that destroy it

Since the Central Command Target card still active, the card's improvement is reducing one of my campaign track to the left. so instead of 2 Recon , i got 1 Recon..

*Campaign Track Adjustment..

MISSION LOG :

I got only 2 pilots thats fresh for the next day's mission and its going to be hell will +2 WP , +2 Stress and 5 Bandit draw at center area.. what a hornet's nest..

*Mission Log using Dan Verssen's HL-CAO log sheet

LESSON LEARNED / FOOTNOTES :

Im taking too much chance by carrying only small number of AtA ordnance. had the bandit draw revealed more fighters i will have a lot of problem defending the strike group.. as for the AtG ordnance, im suprised that just 3xGBU-15 inflicts 9 HITS and 10xMK-83 only inflict 12 HITS.. i wonder what happen if i carry 6xGBU-15, is it enough for this target (16 Hits required) ??

I guess i shouldnt scrimp on these wonderful weapons.. Weapon SO is to be used effectively especially in this 3 days mission..

so for this mission i think these facts works for me :
- bring enough AGM88 HARM to clear out radar controller AAA/SAM
- bring E2C Hawkeye to share his situational awareness around and kill the most threatening defenses first turn.
- bring AIM120 AMRAAM to clear out long range bandits, not too many. let your primary AtA be the AIM7 SPARROW

Thanks all for watching =D

My Taiwan Defense 2008 game table..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the great write-up! Interesting to see the differences between Hornet Leader and Phantom Leader (only one of the Leader Family I own and have played).

This AAR makes me want to break out Phantom Leader again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
thanks for the great write-up! Interesting to see the differences between Hornet Leader and Phantom Leader (only one of the Leader Family I own and have played).

This AAR makes me want to break out Phantom Leader again soon!

your welcome =D

im also curious how phantom leader differs from HL too .. i'll create a PHANTOM LEADER session AAR as soon as im able =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, thanks. I've yet to punch HL but have been playing PL and loving it. Might have to dig this one out tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just check something - how did you kill the Mig-21 in turn 1 with a Sparrow? Wasn't it out of range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.