Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Mac
Canada
Valley
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my wife and I.

We have the base set, and no other expansions. My wife likes the game. She is not a fan of 'screw you' games/tactics (the Witch is pushing it )
She prefers, I think, the 'multi-player solitaire', with a little interaction, but nothing too nasty.

I'm also looking for something that may evolve the mechanics somewhere between 'not aty all' and 'only slightly'. From what I've read, Seaside and Alchemy seem unlikely (just my impression, but they seem to add too much to the base game for us right now).

Cornucoppia? (I can't even spell it!)
Intrigue?
Prosperity?
Change my mind about the other two, even.

What would you recommend (and why?)

Also, thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Bingham
Germany
Herford
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Prosperity is a mighty fine expansion without much screwage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperity might be a good choice. There's some brutal attacks (Mountebank) but also some very positive player interaction - Vault and Bishop both help opponents. I'd say it's actually more complex than seaside, but both are very simple. Prosperity has a habit of lengthening games, so bear that in mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Prosperity is a good choice for adding complexity straight away, if you're both OK with that.

I'll give a shout out to Seaside, though, which is becoming my favourite of all the expansions to date. The Duration cards are probably my favourite non-completely-game-changing mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Prosperity is easily the most complex expansion to date. I'd suggest Intrigue - it does have a few attack cards but so does every other set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite expantion is Dominion: Intrigue, because it gives you new choices and it has some fun cards with some twists, like the Masquerade*. Intrigue also have a few nasty attacks, but you can just choose without the ones you don't like - We play with out the Saboteur** in my gaming group.

* Masquerade (Cost 3):
+2 Cards
Each player passes a card in their hand to the player on their left. You may trash a card from your hand.

** Saboteur (Cost 5):
Each other player reveals cards from the top of his deck until revealing one costing $3 or more. He trashes that card and may gain a card costing at most $2 less than it. He discards the other revealed cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Mac
Canada
Valley
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the game itself is so good, I'm certain that all of the expansions offer something good as well, and equally certain that each has its supporters.

For a minimal increase in complexity, minimal screwage, and natural evolution, its looking after the first few comments that Intrigue might be the way to go....

any other voters?

Again, the input is much appreciated! Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like attacks, I would definitely NOT recommend Intrigue. There's a lot of "screw you" in that. I would also not recommend Alchemy. It adds a lot of complication to game-play and none of it is very good for the game IMO.

I think Seaside would be the best set for you to add. It doesn't have many devastating attacks (at least compared to the other expansions), and it doesn't overwhelm the base set, yet it adds a lot to the game. Prosperity is similar, but it is more complicated, more overwhelming, and more interactive. Prosperity is my personal favorite expansion, but it really steals the show from the base set.

Cornucopia I might recommend if you're looking for a small but potent expansion. I really like this one, but it will probably alter game-play quite a bit for you, and that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperity is low on negative interaction overall, but there's positive interaction there (bishop, vault), so it's not as solitaire as one might think. It is a very good expansion for the base set, even if the extra element of vp tokens makes things a little clunkier. Mountebank is the only attack in there that's worse than witch (in terms of negativity), assuming that no one still thinks that coppers are a plus for their deck.

Honestly, prosperity is just a very good expansion overall and kicks a few of the base set cards up a notch, even without colonies and platinum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Intrigue definitely has the least increase in complexity (introducing no new elements other than hybrid Victory cards), but its attacks are often considered among the most annoying:

The Swindler, cheap at $3, messes with the opponent's deck by turning cards into other cards of the same cost - like Coppers into Curses or 5-buys into Duchies.

The Minion's nature encourages playing one every turn, which can really annoy the opponent, especially since there is a strong psychological impact of "Oh no, I just lost a really good hand!"

The Saboteur is a powerful attack that basically reverse-Remodels the opponent. I personally don't mind it because I don't think it's usually worth buying anyhow, but I know a lot of groups outright ban it because it's so powerful.

The Torturer encourages chaining multiple copies of itself together, and can, depending on how willing the victim is to take Curses, either reduce the victim to no hand at all some turns or be a Witch that also gives an extra +1 Card.

And then there are non-Attacks that can still feel annoying to some players, like Tribute, which discards cards from the top of the opponent's deck and inevitably leads to complaints about how they only lose their good cards (not remembering that last time the attacker just hit a pair of Coppers), and Masquerade, which mostly just causes Coppers and Estates to dance around but can lead to grumbling if someone is forced to give up a Silver.

Contrast Prosperity, which only has three Attacks among all its Kingdoms. Okay, one of them, the Mountebank, is brutal, but the other two are not - Goons' attacking effect is just a Militia, but it costs $6 instead of $4 so it's harder to obtain, and Rabble just leaves Victories and Curses on top of the deck a-la-Spy. Its interaction is much more positive, whether by helping opponents a-la-Council Room (Bishop, Vault) or indirectly interacting by examining the remaining supply piles (Trade Route, City).

Sure, Prosperity introduces a couple of new components - there are Colonies/Platinums, VP tokens, and Treasures that do stuff - but none of these is at all difficult to pick up, so they really shouldn't stop you. If screwage is already a factor in your base set games, I'd definitely recommend Prosperity over Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To echo the others:

Intrigue is possibly too interactive.
Seaside and Alchemy are possibly too complex.
Prosperity is like your best choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornucopia would probably be a good choice. It doesn't really add any new mechanics aside from maybe the tournament prizes. Its theme is basically rewarding you for having a variety of different cards in your deck, with cards that become more powerful if all the cards in your hand are different, or that do something for each different card in your hand or in play, or that go through your deck until you get a card that's different from what's in your hand. The attacks are pretty mild compared to any other set, aside from the one that's in the prizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking to avoid negative interaction, Intrigue is definately the set to avoid. Although it adds the least in terms of complexity to the game, there are a good chunk of cards that can be considered "mean" cards, especially if you wife is already sensitive to the Witch.

My recommendations are either Prosperity or Cornucopia. Prosperity is a great expansion that adds some depth and interesting cards to the game without too many negative cards. If you are worried about the Platinums and Colonies, perhaps you could ease into them when you feel you are ready to play with them. Cornucopia would be a good addition to the base set as it will open new strategies and its effect can be felt in a kingdom with only a few cards in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kelly
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wowzers. I'm guessing you don't ever play with randomized setups? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
PsychoDan wrote:
The attacks are pretty mild compared to any other set, aside from the one that's in the prizes.

And just to clarify, that last Attack (which is admittedly quite nasty, being a Militia-Witch hybrid) is impossible to gain until near the end of the game (since already having a Province is a prerequisite), so it's not going to be around long enough to cause too much annoyance.

Cornucopia would definitely be my next recommendation after Prosperity, but I think there's some value in going for a full box expansion rather than a half-size expansion.

gryph202 wrote:
Wowzers. I'm guessing you don't ever play with randomized setups? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but still...

I don't see any indication of not playing with randomized setups in this topic. What made you think that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperity adds a great bit of non-abusive player interaction from a bunch of cards like:

Vault (Action) - when you play it, other players may discard 2 cards in order to draw 1 card. Your benefit is +2 cards and discard cards for 1 money per card.

Bishop (action) - when you play it, you may trash a card for Vp tokens, and the other players may trash a card from their hand (so they can slim their deck)

2 cards that get more valuable based on what every player is doing:
Trade Route
City

Contraband - let's other players choose a card you can't buy that turn. But it's like cheap gold with an extra buy so it's very tempting.

Also, from the Intrigue expansion, Masquerade and Tribute are really cool/fun player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
My favorite expantion is Dominion: Intrigue, because it gives you new choices and it has some fun cards with some twists, like the Masquerade*. Intrigue also have a few nasty attacks, but you can just choose without the ones you don't like - We play with out the Saboteur** in my gaming group.

* Masquerade (Cost 3):
+2 Cards
Each player passes a card in their hand to the player on their left. You may trash a card from your hand.

** Saboteur (Cost 5):
Each other player reveals cards from the top of his deck until revealing one costing $3 or more. He trashes that card and may gain a card costing at most $2 less than it. He discards the other revealed cards.

Saboteur is actually in my list of cards I never (want to) play with. I'd rather get hit by a witch 10 times than deal with Saboteur in the game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really helped me because I am in the same boat with my wife. Thanks for all the help, I ordered Prosperity yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.