Subject: Some question about base game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anonymous Anonymous
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

Recently i acquired the base game box and after a couple plays some questions came to mind:

1) if an encounter card instructs you to search for a specific item in a common/unique pile like a tome for example, do you:

a-> take them one by one from top and put one's not matching at the bottom of the pile

b-> look for the specific item and reshuffle whole deck afterwards

2) Blue Flu! headline mythos. I understand it frees arrested ppl from the jail but couldn;t find any spefic explanation of how to do it as according to rules the character get into the jail cell and gets delayed, next turn removing delay and moving to police station

a-> does the character immediatlt move to police station without delay so he can move normally next turn

b-> does the character move to the station but the delay is left in essence making me do an encounter in police station next turn

3) the OW encounter "You've completed your task, but now you must escape before the portal closes! Pass a Speed (-2) check to return to Arkham. If you fail, you are lost in time and space. In either event, you automatically close the gate you entered through. Can the gate be sealed cause the rulebook isn't too helpfull

a-> the rulebook states that you can only close the gate in arkham encounters phase and in addition the paragraphs about closing and sealing are in that section thus i assume you can't use clue tokens to seal it cause it's not arkham encounters phase

b-> the rulebook part about sealing states that whenever you can closed a gate you can attempt to seal it thus making this card beneficial allowing you to skip the "only close and seal in arkham encouters phase" part of rules

3a) the same as question as nr 3 but assume that the gate you entered through was closed by someone else a bit earlier

a-> am i automatically lost in time and space no matter the check succes

b-> can i leave though a different gate to same OW place

c-> can i move to any spot in arkham
I did a lot of searching that answered most of my questions but can't find definite answers to those so i'm gratefull for all the help and answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jampel wrote:
Hi

Recently i acquired the base game box and after a couple plays some questions came to mind:

1) if an encounter card instructs you to search for a specific item in a common/unique pile like a tome for example, do you:

a-> take them one by one from top and put one's not matching at the bottom of the pile

b-> look for the specific item and reshuffle whole deck afterwards

When it is a specific card like the title of the card, flip over the deck, find it, shuffle. (option b). If it is the "first" of something, do option a - flip over one at a time and discard the flipped cards to the bottom of the deck.

Quote:
2) Blue Flu! headline mythos. I understand it frees arrested ppl from the jail but couldn;t find any spefic explanation of how to do it as according to rules the character get into the jail cell and gets delayed, next turn removing delay and moving to police station

a-> does the character immediatlt move to police station without delay so he can move normally next turn

b-> does the character move to the station but the delay is left in essence making me do an encounter in police station next turn

Remove the delay and move them to the Police Station. This is you typically get out of jail.

Quote:
3) the OW encounter "You've completed your task, but now you must escape before the portal closes! Pass a Speed (-2) check to return to Arkham. If you fail, you are lost in time and space. In either event, you automatically close the gate you entered through. Can the gate be sealed cause the rulebook isn't too helpfull

a-> the rulebook states that you can only close the gate in arkham encounters phase and in addition the paragraphs about closing and sealing are in that section thus i assume you can't use clue tokens to seal it cause it's not arkham encounters phase

b-> the rulebook part about sealing states that whenever you can closed a gate you can attempt to seal it thus making this card beneficial allowing you to skip the "only close and seal in arkham encouters phase" part of rules

No. You can only seal if it tells you that you can. Of course, we are still waiting for official confirmation on this, but that is the consensus.

Quote:
3a) the same as question as nr 3 but assume that the gate you entered through was closed by someone else a bit earlier

a-> am i automatically lost in time and space no matter the check succes

b-> can i leave though a different gate to same OW place

c-> can i move to any spot in arkham
I did a lot of searching that answered most of my questions but can't find definite answers to those so i'm gratefull for all the help and answers.

B is the correct option. If that isn't open, then A is the only option you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Anonymous
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a lot for a extremly quick reply and information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jampel wrote:

Two answers here:

For a "specific" item (Whiskey), you should just search the deck and then shuffle it afterward.

For the "first of a type," such as a tome, you should draw cards until you get the tome, and then discard everything (in the same order) to the bottom of the deck.

Quote:

"a" sounds like the best choice. If they're freed from jail, it doesn't make sense that they'd have to stick around to have an encounter (because of being delayed).
Quote:

There's a lot of talk about this specific encounter. There have been opposing official rulings about it.

Personally, I think that since it says "you" closed the gate, you get a trophy, and may seal it if you have the clues or an elder sign.

Quote:

If there is no such gate, clearly it can't be closed/sealed and you can't take one as a trophy, and if there are no open gates to your OW at all, you can't return so you're LiTaS.

It could be the case that the gate you entered has already been closed, and there is an open gate to your OW; in this case you return through that gate, but no gate is closed because the one it specifies doesn't exist. Personally I hate effects that refer, specifically, to "the gate you entered."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.