Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HAGGLER All/Novice

Spends Less Lucre

You have the power of Bargains. When you spend Lucre for a fixed price, even to another player, use this power to pay only half the amount rounded up.

HISTORY: Always looking for bargains, the Hagglers have excelled in being able to purchase items they need at the best price. Their excess cash will certainly help in buying off the cosmos.

Use Only In A Game With Lucre

FLARE

All
Wild: You may purchase cards randomly one at a time from another player. Pay him 2 Lucre per card.

All
Super: Pay 1/3 the price for a fixed amount, rounded down at a minimum of 1 Lucre.

Commentary: This is a Lucre power created by me. I originally called this power Merchant, but since Fantasy Flight created its own Merchant power it was necessary to change the name. This is a simple power that provides high efficiency for your Lucre. The bargain rate includes prices for other players' powers. Hagglers can be used in combat as main only having to pay 3 Lucre per point during the Reveal phase. If Economist is in the game, Haggler is subject to the higher prices; the player just pays half the amount of the inflated price. A "fixed" price is that which is specifically mentioned in the rule book, on a power card, on a playing card, etc. A "variable" price, for which Haggler pays full price, is an amount that is determined only at the moment the cost is incurred. For example, if Haggler agrees to give a player 4 Lucre in a deal, he gives the full 4 Lucre, not 2. If Haggler calls upon the Force, he pays Force the full amount offered. Haggler/Mafia is not a super combo, just quite powerful. Haggler/Beggar works, but Beggar loses a little punch. Haggler/Economist adds insult to injury; it is rather cool to have but is not a super combo.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Wait, how does Haggler/Beggar do you any good? Beggar forces others to pay for you, and then Haggler makes them... pay less than they otherwise would? Sorry, I don't quite follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
haggler/beggar lets you force others to spend their money for you, THEN you spend your own money to buy things at half price. you still come out with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Wait, how does Haggler/Beggar do you any good? Beggar forces others to pay for you, and then Haggler makes them... pay less than they otherwise would? Sorry, I don't quite follow.

The combo works, meaning it functions, but it isn't strong. Haggler/Beggar forces other players to pay for him but only at half the fixed amount. For example, tipping Butler normally means paying 2 Lucre. Haggler would pay 1 Lucre. Beggar would force another player to pay Butler. Therefore, Haggler/Beggar would force another player to pay Butler 1 Lucre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
marhawkman wrote:
haggler/beggar lets you force others to spend their money for you, THEN you spend your own money to buy things at half price. you still come out with more.

Beggar doesn't have any of his own money, unless I'm severely misremembering.

hadsil wrote:
The combo works, meaning it functions, but it isn't strong. Haggler/Beggar forces other players to pay for him but only at half the fixed amount. For example, tipping Butler normally means paying 2 Lucre. Haggler would pay 1 Lucre. Beggar would force another player to pay Butler. Therefore, Haggler/Beggar would force another player to pay Butler 1 Lucre.

Which seems strictly worse than having just the Beggar power on its own (except I guess that opponents might get a bit less annoyed with you for hurting them less). Which actually makes things interesting when playing with the "you lose one power for each home colony below three you're missing", since the Beggar/Haggler would actually get stronger by dropping to only having two home colonies left, since it could then ditch the Haggler and start charging the regular price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit to not being entirely certain of how Beggar works.

but begger/haggler can get more stuff than beggar by itself, right? The way I understand it Beggar can do stuff like buying cards and flares while spending other people's money. With Haggler he can abuse his opponents more often without driving them broke. And let's face it.... People are gonna want to spend their money if they know you're gonna steal it if they don't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
I admit to not being entirely certain of how Beggar works.

but begger/haggler can get more stuff than beggar by itself, right? The way I understand it Beggar can do stuff like buying cards and flares while spending other people's money. With Haggler he can abuse his opponents more often without driving them broke. And let's face it.... People are gonna want to spend their money if they know you're gonna steal it if they don't...

No. Beggar cannot just buy cards or flares. On his own he can ask a player to buy one card or a ship from the warp, but otherwise Beggar only pays for something when the game forces/allows him to, such as another player's power or playing a flare from his hand. Beggar could play Wild Haggler and have another player pay the Lucre to the player from whom he's getting the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I didn't know that.. Yeah that does make it less useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Also, re "he can abuse his opponents more often without driving them broke": Beggar gets stuff for free if his opponents can't afford it, so Beggar doesn't mind driving them broke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.