William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably brought this on myself.

It was a 3 player game and my 2nd play. I saw that the experienced player was getting ahead. I thought I'd try to catch up with the luxury liner. However, there was no steel to be made.

The 2 buildings that allowed steel production (Business Office and Steel Mill) were both in the same column of offers. They were both underneath another card. To build the Luxury Liner, I needed that Steel Mill.

However, nobody wanted to dent that pile enough to get to the Steel Mill and nobody could afford to buy it outright if it did come up to get first usage of the Steel Mill.

So, as the game came nearer to the end, the Steel Mill was there and the Business Office was too slow to help build the Luxury Liner. If I built the Steel Mill first, the other player gets the Luxury Liner = he wins on points. If he builds it, I would win points on him.

So no one bought the Steel Mill and no Liner gets built.

I guess the lesson is never count on Steel. However, this kind of ruined my other strategy of building buildings because the situation of not wanting to give the other player the Steel held up the last 4 buildings in the game from being built entirely!

I'd love comments on this as I am considering making sure those 2 buildings are never in the same column in all future games because it seems to hamper strategies that should be pursued. On the other hand, I really should have foreseen the situation and made my strategy around it, I just didn't use my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seems like your last sentence sums up the situation best. You need to build your strategy around the game situation, not simply have a predetermined script. The fact that the game will punish you for ignoring the game set up in formulating a plan is a feature imo, not a bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah thats the thing about this game as the set up will determine which strategies might be good and which goods have more value.I think thats what makes this game great is that you have to plan your strategy around what buildings are there and what is coming up.Depending on which buildings are available will depend on which goods are desired more.Also I do not really see steel as being a real problem because it takes awhile to get alot of steel produced so whoever does it seems to have earned it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be noted that the Luxury Liners actually aren't that many points. The builder of the ship is spending 24 points in steel to construct. The Steel Mill is worth a lot of points to own. If I could build it, I would. The other person can spend their actions and energy (literally, for the steel mill) earning at most 10 points, while I do other stuff that nets me the same number of points. Plus I now have 22(? can't recall) points from building the Steel Mill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boote
United Kingdom
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
I think you might be onto something, without realising, keep playing and trying different things, you may find you don't need all that steel after all whistle

after all, your opponent won without steel... 8-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't you just buy the Steel Mill and enter it on the same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.