Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chooch Mic
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I own and really like Goa. How similar is hansa t.
I meet up for a 4 player game once a month so dont go through my 40 game collection very quickly. Is the shared tech tree mechanic similar enough that it doesnt warrant owning both.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there are no auctions in HT and I wouldn't really compare the two games. They are very different games. HT provides the player with 5 different action choices and provides a tech tree of five which can be upgraded according to which strategy you wish to employ. Group think often leans towards upgrading the tech tree item "# of actions on a turn" but I've won more often with just three actions a turn as opposed to spending the necessary cubes and actions to upgrade to 5 actions a turn. HT tends to shine after a group has played several times and the group chooses to explore different strategies.

Also, HT should only take about an hour to play once everyone knows how to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMO, they're quite different and both excellent enough to be in the same collection. I've only played Goa once, but it's on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest similarity I can think of between the two games is that they are both on my list of most excellent games to play any chance I get. You can probably get 2 plays of HT in for 1 of Goa. HT has an expansion map out now as well that is also quite good. The game play is extremely different. Granted my sample size is small, but I have not met anyone that dislikes either game, and many who rank them both among the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Goa but not Hansa, but not because they are similar. If anything anyone who enjoys "deeper" euros should own both. They scratch different itches really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chooch Mic
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the good info. I won't exclude hansa t for that reason. During the course of research today ive actually added imperial and navigador to the list. If u have any further opinions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I have played that felt a bit like Hansa Teutonica was Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India because of the routes and the battle for presence in the cities, and the fact you could not do everything you wanted to do in your limited actions. HT plays faster though and felt like an advancement in mechanics from Maharja though. A few gamers and nongamers say they have trouble understanding what to do in HT, which surprises me, but maybe I haven't taught it well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HT has Goa's tech tree mechanism, but the rest of the game is very different. I wouldn't get HT if your gaming is mostly 2-player only, but otherwise they're certes both worth owning. (You might also enjoy Scepter of Zavandor.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.