Subject: Do Locusts Take Cover if They Were Moved? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
They take cover automatically when they move or spawn.

But do they take cover as the result of Order Cards e.g. Ambush?

I'm guessing no, based on theme. And that they only take cover when moving as the result of Locust Activations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deckard Cole
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thematically with that specific card (Ambush) I see your point, however I believe they do take cover no matter the situation as dictated on their card. If they have the blue(-ish) arrow in the bottom center of their card anytime they move to a location with cover they move into it.
There is no other conflicting (thematic) rule, or movement variable dependent on the card played by the marines , mentioned in the rulebook.

EDIT: I see your point about Locust activations.. I considered anytime I moved a Locust that it was activating. I didn't translate that to mean "only on the locust TURN". But, we shall see what others think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush suggests that they don't take cover based on theme, but not for other cards such as Sit Tight. So there needs to be a consistent rule besides thematic implication.

The section on Locusts taking cover does not specifically address this situation (though as always, no-address can always mean no).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deckard Cole
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The way I themed ambush is.. the locust still behave the way they normally do (walk into the room and take cover as they are clearly very cautious locust) and the "ambush" is they do not get to attack me first I attack them as they are acting out of turn so to speak.. I see your point but in most games if there in not a specific rule given for a situation you are meant to use the existing rule as the standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a quick look in the rulebook, but I guess we can't rely on that, as it states on p.10: "Since all Locust movement and attacks are dictated by AI cards, ..." Other mensions of locust movement are all in the context of AI activation cards.

The rulebook does however say on p.14: "Most Enemy cards have the "Take Cover" icon on them. This means that figures of this type automatically move into cover in their area after moving or spawning (even after spawning during setup)." I don't know if one should use this rule in this case, regarding my first point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suplex
msg tools
If a Locust always takes cover when it moves, and the card only says that it moves and doesn't make any other stipulations, then the Locust should be in cover, despite any perceived "theme" to the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
Had a quick look in the rulebook, but I guess we can't rely on that, as it states on p.10: "Since all Locust movement and attacks are dictated by AI cards, ..." Other mentions of locust movement are all in the context of AI activation cards.

Spazwaldo wrote:
I see your point but in most games if there is not a specific rule given for a situation you are meant to use the existing rule as the standard.

You two represent the exact debate I have when I think about how this should be ruled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically the point of an ambush is to catch them when they are unprepared. So as they stroll into a room they are suddenly hit before having chance to get into cover. Any survivors then get in to cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, if we should turn to the video game, the Locust never stroll around, really. When they know you're there and bullets fly, they do run from cover to cover. You can still ambush them, in the sence of flanking them without them knowing, and attack them from an angle they were not prepared for. This Ambush-card can be used in the same way and will simulate the way the COG can outsmart and outmaneuver the Locust. In this light it would be thematically right that the Locust in question goes into cover.

But on the other hand, the artwork on the card itself clearly shows a Locust strolling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think they should always always take cover if they can.

The best use of the ambush card is usually to move them to your space where you've already taken the cover. Then take them down hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played ay GenCon the Locust did take cover when moved by an Order Card. Of course the rules interpretations were not always correct by the demo team, but in this case I had two seperate members confirm the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same discussion. Our current house rule (which we are keeping even if we get an official "wrong" from FFG) is that they don't take cover.

It's just too themeatic; too "ambushy" to let them take cover. We would not really feel like we ambushed them: "Shhhh, evewyone be vewwy vewwy qwiet, hewr comes some Wetchs, lets let them get into the room, then let them take cover, THEN ambush them".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.