5 Posts

Hive» Forums » Variants

Subject: New piece: wild flower rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lesley 88
msg tools
1 wildflower piece per set. (A poppy)

1. Either player may introduce the wildflower after each bee has been placed.
2. Initial placement must touch at least one of each player’s color.
3. Movement of wildflower alternates between players as a turn.
4. Move-ability mimics that of the mosquito.
5. The lady bug may land on the wildflower and thereby neutralizing the wildflower, removing it from play until re-introduced.
6. Placement of wildflower neutralizes and paralyses all bugs it touches; including bugs trying to move past it, they may not, but must go around the wildflower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a "shared" piece but the movement rule has me confused: If I move the wildflower then it is frozen for me to move it again till my opponent moves it? Therefore, if I introduce the wildflower into the game, not only will it freeze at least one of my pieces (as well as my opponent's), but I may not move it till after my opponent has moved it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Jacobs
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also thought about a neutral piece.

The difficulty is indeed what Quixotequest says. Your opponent will pickup the neutral piece which is just moved and put it right back where it came from. This will lead to a lot of draws.

So, some mechanism should be in place that you can't move it straight away (like Quixotequest suggested). But that means you have to remember what happened and that is not what you want.

Furthermore I think that a suitable neutral piece should always be a weak piece. That's also some kind of prevention for moving it again. The neutral piece shouldn't be a killer piece.

The Wild Flower is just too complicated imho. And much too powerful, but that is the problem with most suggestions of new pieces.

H

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lesley 88
msg tools
Your understanding of the movement is correct, quixotequest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Koch
United States
California
flag msg tools
Interesting idea!

I have an idea of my own a variant rule to make the game a little longer and give the beetle more of a chance to be useful.

My variant rule idea is this: you win by surrounding the queen on all SEVEN sides that means the usual six plus cover her on top with a beetle or the mosquito acting as a beetle. Its a really interesting way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.