9 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rewards deck question about backs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Walker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one I want to get right, I just got the rewards deck and well the backs are a different colour. So I guess you know when the opponent is going to play a powerful card maybe? It's like a handicap? But when you claim compensation, I would have imagined the attacker held his hand out and the negotiator picked at random but with seeing the different backs can he choose? And risk a rift or minus card? Cos that would be cool, but the rules say it's picked at random. So what do you do close your eyes?

I wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Yes, the backs are indeed deliberately different.

When you collect compensation, you can indeed see the backs of the cards you're taking - compensation is not so much "at random" as it is "without looking at the cards' faces". This is supposed to be balanced out by the threat of rifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The threat of Rifts and also of the Kicker x 0 and numerous negative-value Attack cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the whole point of the negative attack cards, anyway? It seems like the only thing they're good for is ensuring nobody draws from the Rewards deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though you can see the backs of the cards, it's still drawing randomly, since you aren't choosing the cards from the face value.

There are only 3 negative attack cards in the Reward deck, which I don't feel is much of a deterrent. Most of the time, you end up getting decent cards. Of course, if Loser or Anti-Matter are in the game, the cards suddenly become a lot more valuable. Reserve also loves getting those negative cards, and Philanthropist loves handing them to other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
Even though you can see the backs of the cards, it's still drawing randomly, since you aren't choosing the cards from the face value.

There are only 3 negative attack cards in the Reward deck, which I don't feel is much of a deterrent. Most of the time, you end up getting decent cards. Of course, if Loser or Anti-Matter are in the game, the cards suddenly become a lot more valuable. Reserve also loves getting those negative cards, and Philanthropist loves handing them to other players.

They can be very useful to Sorcerer as well, and Trader under the right circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
And they can be very interesting in the hands of a Gambler, who has a decent chance of being believed when a -7 is bluffed as a much higher card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
And they can be very interesting in the hands of a Gambler, who has a decent chance of being believed when a -7 is bluffed as a much higher card.

It's still worse than actually having the higher card that you wish to bluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
salty53 wrote:
It's still worse than actually having the higher card that you wish to bluff.

Right. Although there are a few things in the game that make negative attacks valuable, this is not one of them.

In general, Gambler is better suited than most aliens to not be hurt as much by crappy encounter cards, but he doesn't actually get any extra benefit out of them. Also, reward-back cards are trickier to bluff than their cosmic-back brethren, since your credible options are limited to 10, 16, 17, 18, 19, 23, and Crooked Deal. The only ones you can consistently bluff without extra risk are the Crooked Deal and the 10, since the better blue-backed attacks are all unique; thus anybody who has seen one of them recently has a good chance of knowing whether you are lying. Next to flares, they are among the easiest cards in the game to track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.