Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Just 2 players: Race for the Galaxy or Glory to Rome? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play games with my girlfriend...after playing Batteline, Famiglia, Hera&Zeus and Cold War:CIA vs KGB...we are searching for something meatier...We want a cardgame great for 2P, with more strategy/tactics, less luck, and playable in 30-60 min...Firstly our candidates were: Glory to Rome, RftG, Dominion, San Juan, Jambo and Saint Petersburg. After reading lots of reviews, I think last four games are not much meatier that games we have played, so my favourites are GtR and RftG...according to BGG polls, RftG shines with 2P, however GtR seems work better with 3/4 players. In the other hand, I think both hace some strategy (planning) and lots of tactics and paths to play, but RftG relies in many expansions and GtR is a whole game itself and cheaper!

Please, which one would you recommend me?...What is deeper/with more tough decisions in your opinion?...And less lucky driven?...In case of you recommend me RftG, are really worthy some expansions just for 2 players?

Thanks in advance

Norber

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, RftG is on a level above GtR. I will qualify my opinion with the following:

It took me about 5-6 plays before I really liked RftG. It just didn't click at first. But once it did, I LOVED it. The difference was having people teach me the game (I never quite understood it) vs. me reading the rules myself. After I read the rules and taught it to my girlfriend it really shined.

GtR I tried to play/teach once and we were not overly thrilled. I played it a second time with a more experienced player and I liked it a bit more, but am not dying to play it again. The artwork is terrible, but they are re-doing it, so if you do go this way I'd recommend picking up the newer version.

You do not need the RftG expansions. After a while, you probably won't be able to resist picking them up to see what they add, but you can get a LOT of play out of just the base game. There are multiple strategies to pursue, it's deep and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of them are games with plenty of depth - I personally prefer Race for the Galaxy but I don't think you can go wrong either way. Glory to Rome is a wilder, more aggressive experience, while Race for the Galaxy is a tighter, more consistent, more polished one. With expansions, I'm pretty sure there is more going on in Race for the Galaxy, but there's still plenty happening in the base game.

Nevertheless I suspect Glory to Rome has more going on than the unexpanded Race for the Galaxy - though this could be my inexperience with the former showing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is an excellent 2-player experience. I can't speak for Glory to Rome - I've only played it once, 5-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you posted this same thread in the the GtR forums to get a balanced view. :)

tigrevasco_2003 wrote:
And less lucky driven?

I've only played GtR 8 times (and RftG 1500 times), my initial impression is that GtR is quite luck-driven. Big crazy combos that overpower the game.

tigrevasco_2003 wrote:
...In case of you recommend me RftG, are really worthy some expansions just for 2 players?

The base game is all you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Also, consider Innovation(w/ or w/o expansion), which shines with 2p and has crazy replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I cannot speak about GTR, I can race myself and my girlfriend purchased Race for the Galaxy in an attempt to cure weekend boredom this Saturday, and we absolutely love it.

There isn't too much direct player interaction, however there is a lot of depth and a lot of things you have to pay attention to so your opponent doesn't sneak ahead of you.

We just got the base game but I am already contemplating which expansion(s) to buy, and it seems like one of those games thats going to give us hours and hours of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like GtR, but not as a two player game. I love RftG with 2-4 (5 and 6 is ok on occasion). I'd second the recommendation of Innovation for two player if you want a wilder, more GtR like experience.

You definitely don't need to buy the expansions for RftG right away. Experience the base game first, then work through the expansions one by one as you get tired of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Levins
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Rolling dice and taking grains!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome seems to suit larger numbes of players than RftG does, for my tastes. RftG shines especially at 2 or 3 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thesp wrote:
Glory to Rome seems to suit larger numbes of players than RftG does, for my tastes. RftG shines especially at 2 or 3 player.
To me, RftG is just as good with 4p. When you have 5p or 6p, then it becomes difficult to keep track of everyone's tableaux, although you could just ignore what people have at that point (though not recommended). Hell you could do the same with GtR (though again, also NOT recommended)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Levins
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Thesp wrote:
To me, RftG is just as good with 4p. When you have 5p or 6p, then it becomes difficult to keep track of everyone's tableaux, although you could just ignore what people have at that point (though not recommended). Hell you could do the same with GtR (though again, also NOT recommended)

While I'm more or less inclined to agree with you, RftG will play very well with 4 experienced players very well, but a single inexperienced player will often throw that out of whack or slow down the game considerably, in ways that Glory to Rome does not suffer with less inexperienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thesp wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Thesp wrote:

While I'm more or less inclined to agree with you, RftG will play very well with 4 experienced players very well, but a single inexperienced player will often throw that out of whack or slow down the game considerably, in ways that Glory to Rome does not suffer with less inexperienced players.
I'd have to disagree. One inexperienced player in GtR means you have a player who leads with a brown card, and then the player to his left pretty much gets a free Craft client. They'll also be more unaware of Pool control and leave needed clients for someone's Forum, and have been known to Legionnaire against immune neighbors with no intent of just getting material from the Pool. I'm sure there are other mistkaes newbies do, I just can't think of them for the time being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While nobody has mentioned it, and it really bears no effect on game play, the art and production of the two games couldn't be further apart. The GTR game seems like a home produced game and the art is cartoony. It comes in that cheap clam shell case and just feels like it is an amateur production. The colors are just....well, I don't know, it's just an ugly, ugly game.

RFTG on the other hand is a gorgeous game to look at with some of the best artwork you will ever see in a card game.

Again, this bears no effect on game play, but if I were faced with the decision on these two games with all else being equal I would choose RFTG just on the art design alone. That said it does seem like there is a Kickstarter project going to release GTR with higher quality components and art. But who knows when that will hit stores.

I agree with what a poster said above though, make sure you post this question on the GTR forums. Of course you're going to get mostly pro RFTG comments here, just like you will likely get more pro GTR comments on that forum. It's up to you to sort them out and decide which game is for you.

Edited to also add: You most certainly don't need expansions for RFTG. You can get a ton of mileage out of the base game. It's all I own and I haven't felt the need for expansions yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I edged GtR out a bit on the GtR forum, so FWIW, that's one unbiased answer as I can manage.

I guess by design, knowing RftG has exp (and they're all great) and NOT including makes the base game feel like an inferior/incomplete game is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Race has a so-called "advanced" two-player variant that allows you to play two phases in a turn instead of one. This adds some fun "combo" strategy, such as Settling a world, then Producing on it, which you can't experience in the regular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.