Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was intrigued by the Japanese version when I first found it on here after trading away my coppy of Modern Art. The components look good, it appears super portable and thematically fits. Before I order a few copies from amiami.jp, has anyone seen this copy in person?

For example, is the gameplay the same? I notice from the two pictures of the stamps there there are no double auction icons shown. (Never mind, I see a two card ico--but how big is this game, do you need a magnifying glass? Also, is there any currency provided? How exactly do you keep track of the value of the paintings from round to round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked out the Amazon link. The stamp edition ships at 286g, while the Mayfair edition ships at 408g. This would indicate to me that you get smallish cards that look like stamps, rather than stamp sized cards, in an odd-on-the-shelf shaped box. Interesting, but..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffrey, would you be willing to visit a game store to let us know what it looks like out of the box? It could be the best version of Modern Art and BGG doesn't know. Or it could be the least playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a copy of the Japanese version. To give you an idea of the size of the tiles, here's a photo:

I'd say that the tiles are small, but you're not going to have any problem playing with them.

As for money there are tiles for the money as well. You can see two examples right next to the box of cards. The denominations are 100, 500, 1000, 5000, and 10000. As you probably noticed, the denominations are smaller than Modern Art. Basically they knocked a zero off of the prices since you're dealing with stamps rather than fine art.

As for how to keep track of the rounds, there are tiles for each category of stamps and five tiles (+1000, +2000. +3000, and two X tiles) for each round. It's pretty easy to keep track of the values and it's visually much nicer than Modern Art.

I'd recommend going for it. This version of Modern Art is really a work of art in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and it all packs up very nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
I checked out the Amazon link. The stamp edition ships at 286g, while the Mayfair edition ships at 408g. This would indicate to me that you get smallish cards that look like stamps, rather than stamp sized cards, in an odd-on-the-shelf shaped box. Interesting, but..

The stamps are actually tiles rather than cards. They are very sturdy and will stand up to a lot of use. As for the size of the box, I've found that it's easier to slip into a bag than the older Modern Art box. Storing is a bit tricky. I've just thrown it on top of my long boxes of Magic cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd very much like to get a copy of this version. Does anybody have updated info on places to buy it in the USA or how to get it exported from Japan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.