12 Posts

Lords of Scotland» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clan Cockburn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play a Clan Cockburn and activate the power and trade it for a supporter card, I switch the cards and put the previous supporter card on the table in front of me face up, correct? Let's say the card I took from the supporter pile is a 4 card. Is the value of this card considered as possibly the lowest card value on the board for power activation purposes, or is it not considered since it was not mustered and activated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, you put the supporter card you choose face up in front of you. That value does count for the purposes of determining which numbers can be activated from then on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Wilson

Almonte
Ontario
msg tools
Two scenarios:

1) I play a 4 Cockburn and swap it with a 10 value Supporter card; which is the lowest card in the skirmish?

2) I play a 10 Cockburn and swamp it with a 4 value Supporter card; which is the lowest card in the skirmish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moondawg wrote:
Two scenarios:

1) I play a 4 Cockburn and swap it with a 10 value Supporter card; which is the lowest card in the skirmish?

Its EQUAL or Smaller then 4 (this is the biggest flaw in the game because you must track it)
moondawg wrote:

2) I play a 10 Cockburn and swamp it with a 4 value Supporter card; which is the lowest card in the skirmish?

Its EQUAL or Smaller then 10

ALSO the cards POWER is NOT ACTIVE!

You should be swapping based on numeric strategy only:
1. Removing supporter Value(Victory Points) while increasing you own.
2. Balancing or unbalancing all supporters value

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't play with any tracking rules, as the above poster describes. We play whatever face-up card in front of the players is the lowest, regardless of where it came from. Remember that a power doesn't have to be activated for a card to be played face up.

Anyway, that could be incorrect, but seems easiest/least fiddly.

So, we play if you play a 4 and swap with a 10 supporter, the 10 is the lowest face-up card in front of either player.

If you play a 10 and swap with a 4 supporter, the 4 is the lowest face-up card in front of either player.

(Apparently, directly contrary to how aVoidGames plays.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Wilson

Almonte
Ontario
msg tools
We have decided to play like "futherbum" plays: whatever card is in front of players is lowest (for the same reason:ease of tracking) In regards to the rule about supporter cards swapped in not having their power activated, does this include end of skirmish powers like "Claim Two Supporters"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, what's the basis for your ruling? The rules say power activation is determined by cards in the skirmish. Supporter cards aren't in the skirmish...

aVoidGames wrote:
moondawg wrote:
Two scenarios:

Its EQUAL or Smaller then 4 (this is the biggest flaw in the game because you must track it)
moondawg wrote:

Its EQUAL or Smaller then 10

ALSO the cards POWER is NOT ACTIVE!

You should be swapping based on numeric strategy only:
1. Removing supporter Value(Victory Points) while increasing you own.
2. Balancing or unbalancing all supporters value

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis, powers are activated when they are played (mustered) from the hand. So cards acquired from other sources (such as swapped with other clans or with supporters) don't activate (so wont influence the skirmish conclusion).

moondawg wrote:
We have decided to play like "futherbum" plays: whatever card is in front of players is lowest (for the same reason:ease of tracking) In regards to the rule about supporter cards swapped in not having their power activated, does this include end of skirmish powers like "Claim Two Supporters"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official ruling, Richard James??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it almost says that directly in the rules, I'll check it when I get home and quote it out. Unless Richard gets here first

If its not in the rules I think its in one of his other posts, although in another post he's only stated how he plays it and that if people find interesting variants then he encourages it (I've paraphrased).

k0w0k wrote:
Official ruling, Richard James??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the pdf of the rules:

Clan powers description:
Powers activate when played face up .... blah blah strength etc....in the skirmish....

Rule clarifications, point 7:
Clans powers only activate on the turn it is played...if it comes into your hand through a swap, its power does not activate.

The point about whether a card getting swapped into the supporters is still counted as the lowest card for the skirmish power activation could be ambiguous, but I think its fairly clear and haven't had anyone argue it during play yet.

The Action B: Muster a clan description does seem to make it pretty clear that its only cards in the skirmish that that are considered.

It seems to be reading into the rules to consider/remember that a card in the supporter line is really a skirmisher, and that the skirmisher is really a supporter... it adds a lot of fiddliness without any visible improvement.

In the same vein I can't imagine anyone suggesting that recruits remain recruits for the game and people can draw from other people's recruits.... Basically we've been playing that once a card shifts location, its now defined by the location its in .. swapped from the skirmish to the supporter line, you're now a supporter matey! And that supporter standing on the sides keeping his kilt dry, he's now mucking it up in the trenches with the other skirmishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play where the swapped card that joined the skirmish is relevant to considering the lowest number in the skirmish, of course not activating it's ability since it wasn't played from one's hand. Under the Clan Powers of the rule book it references cards that are in the skirmish, only, for determining power activation.

moonglow wrote:
From the pdf of the rules:

Clan powers description:
Powers activate when played face up .... blah blah strength etc....in the skirmish....

Rule clarifications, point 7:
Clans powers only activate on the turn it is played...if it comes into your hand through a swap, its power does not activate.

The point about whether a card getting swapped into the supporters is still counted as the lowest card for the skirmish power activation could be ambiguous, but I think its fairly clear and haven't had anyone argue it during play yet.

The Action B: Muster a clan description does seem to make it pretty clear that its only cards in the skirmish that that are considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.