Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Question about the Martell card 'He Calls it Thinking', which says 'cancel the effects of a response without an influence cost'.

If another player plays a response that gives an optional way to pay for it, one of which is influence and the other is something else (i.e. tap a character with X) and chooses the non-influence option, can He Calls it Thinking be used to cancel the response?

Either you could interpret it as 'the cost paid was not influence therefore you can cancel it' or as 'the cost could have been paid with influence therefore you can not cancel it'.

Thoughts?

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The response can be cancelled only if the cost is payed without influence. Or conversely, the response can not be cancelled if the cost is payed with influence. The "cost" is what you actually pay, not what you could pay.

For example, Assertion of Might could be cancelled if you payed the cost by kneeling a [war]-crest character, but could not if you knelt 4 influence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's what I figured: so as long as the person playing the original response pays for the response without using influence, He Calls it Thinking can be played. My son's not going to be happy!

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.