Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit that I don't understand.

Page 14 of the Scenario Booklet talks about the AGC-Gambit.

To quote, "I'll show you an interesting twist to this, if the Axis player feels bold, and has cards to spare...During the Soviet Turn 1 the Axis will put two counterblow counters on both stacks adjacent to the surrounded unit. Since odds will be lower than 1-3, it will be an automatic CA (at odds of 6-1)...make sure, before doing this, that you still have three cards and one blitz marker left in your hand. This combination the Soviets will not be able to defeat!"

I have several questions regarding this suggested strategy:

1. what if the Soviet unit attacks one of the two German stacks before the German player places the counterblow markers? That will allow the Soviets to have a 1-3 attack and a chance of escaping the trap.

2. Where in the rules does it mention attacks at less than 1-3?

3. How does the Blitz marker and three cards ensure that this ploy is unbeatable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
1. what if the Soviet unit attacks one of the two German stacks before the German player places the counterblow markers? That will allow the Soviets to have a 1-3 attack and a chance of escaping the trap.

2. Where in the rules does it mention attacks at less than 1-3?

3. How does the Blitz marker and three cards ensure that this ploy is unbeatable?

Answers to 1-2:

1. The counterblow markers are placed during the German turn;

2. Page 11 [10.6.4] "When the ratio is less than 1:3, ... becomes an automatic CA result"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:

I thought that counterblow markers were placed by the Non-phasing player (10.1.2 page 10) and so the German player should place the counters during the Soviet turn after the Soviet player has placed markers for his/her voluntary attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delta 5.56
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
evanbrooks wrote:

I thought that counterblow markers were placed by the Non-phasing player (10.1.2 page 10) and so the German player should place the counters during the Soviet turn after the Soviet player has placed markers for his/her voluntary attacks.

Thats the way I understand it also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

The German player can still place counterblow markers on other German stacks (without a target marker) and the Russian unit will have to attack all of them (unless other Russian units move up to assist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

The German player can still place counterblow markers on other German stacks (without a target marker) and the Russian unit will have to attack all of them (unless other Russian units move up to assist).

Beautiful!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Doesn't placing a counterblow marker require playing a card--and the Russians have no cards in the German half of the first turn. That's how I understood it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bfletcher wrote:
Doesn't placing a counterblow marker require playing a card--and the Russians have no cards in the German half of the first turn. That's how I understood it.

Yes indeed. Was was discussed here is the placing of Counterblows by the Germans. On turn 1 the German player will most probably have more cards than he can use anyway, since he starts his turn with 6 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
bfletcher wrote:

Yes indeed. Was was discussed here is the placing of Counterblows by the Germans. On turn 1 the German player will most probably have more cards than he can use anyway, since he starts his turn with 6 cards.

What's the story with the third question about the comment about a blitz counter and three cards making the ploy foolproof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
What's the story with the third question about the comment about a blitz counter and three cards making the ploy foolproof.

Hey, that's a spoiler!

It's just in case the Soviet start doing crazy things like having a recently-destroyed unit appear in Minsk, and moving it next to the "Surrounded" unit to give it a retreat route and supply path (there is many possibilities here for devious strategies). He could also use a card to cancel some Counterblows (there is a few)

But then if I'm playing the Germans I am not all unhappy that my opponent tries to do this: he could end up having two or three units "Out of Supply" next turn! Albeit this will slow down my advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Blitz counter can be used by the German player during the Russian player turn if a Counter Attack is a result (the German Player becomes the attacker, if he chooses to attack, during the Russian player turn and can advance after combat etc.). The 3 Card hand, like Carl mentioned, allows you an extra card if the Russian were to play a card that cancels a card just played. So if you play a card as the German player to place a Counter blow marker and the Russian plays a card and cancels it, as the German you still have more cards left and could play another on the same spot to place a Counter blow marker. This could go on until there are no cards left to play or someone decides it's not worth a card play and keeps the cards in hand for next turn.

Cheers
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
sdiberar wrote:
da pyrate wrote:

Beautiful!!!

I learned at the feet of the designer. Boy, was I surprised!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.