Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
So BGG says the playtime is 180 minutes, that's a little bit longer than I was expecting. Anyone out there who's played and wants to weigh in? I'm curious about setup time, playtime with experienced players & playtime with newbies, as well as whether it plays faster\slower with more or fewer players.

After how much I did not like the D&D games I'm a little leery of something that looks so similar, but it seems like it has fixed a lot of the problems I had with those games. But I was hoping it could retain the quick setup & playtime. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably varies wildly depending on the mission.
I'm fairly certain our first game (Emergence mission) took less than 2 hours even including setup and learning for a bunch of new players. But I understand that the other missions are much longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Same for me, 90min on the introductory mission, including teaching and setup.

Also depends on how the map is (randomly) set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It mostly depends on the mission. The first mission is intended to be an introductory mission, and only has four rooms and ends soon after the players reach the last room. Later missions have a lot more rooms, and sometimes a bit of backtracking or defending a position after reaching a certain point.

As for setup time, it's generally pretty quick. There's not many fiddly bits to this game, so it's just set up and shuffle the AI deck, shuffle the COG order deck and random weapons, and find the location cards. Of course, it all depends on how organized you are (my FLGS gets in these little trays that are perfect for holding and sorting lots of little bits), but if your box isn't a complete mess, you should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske the younger
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually my group and I had a discussion this after playing for a while trying to anticipate how long the "large map games were going to go. Unfortunately we hadn't kept track of how long our previous games had run.

For perspectives sake we unboxed the game at around 4 - 4:30ish in the afternoon and broke at around 11:30. One of us having read the rules from the FF website we were prepped with a little fore knowledge. In around 7 hours we unboxed, setup, and played (with 3 players) Emergence (one time win), China Shop 3 times (two losses one in the first level one in the second and one victory), and Belly of the beast (one time win). I would say that with three players playing 4 complete games (counting the two losses as roughly the length of one full game) took about 100 minutes per game. However I can say that the the first mission took longer than it probably should because we were hashing out the rules and the third mission (Belly of the Beast) went much faster because once you get a good feel for the AI system the game flows quickly.

That said I then played two solo missions back to back (Emergence and China Shop both played full scenario length to wins) in about an hour and a half including setup and put away.

So to summarize my answers to the OP's question:
- Number of Players does matter for time to play (though IMO the jump in time has more to do with player interaction and individual decision speed)

- The rules are smooth enough that familiarity/comfort with the system significantly decreases the time required to play.

- I would say with good rules knowledge you will average around hour and half for the first 4 missions and I'm guessing longer for the last 3 because of sheer length

- As long as one player knows the rules well you can sped through most of the play quickly as it is easy to pick up

- And as for your comment about "D&D" games if you are referring to Descent, Hero quest, or other "exploration" games it's my opinion that the comparison stops at the visual level. This game has far more in common with Pandemic, Space Hulk and card driven war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments, they are very helpful. Doesn't look like anyone is nearing 3 hours for 1 game, though maybe in large missions that might happen. And just to clarify, by "D&D" games I was referring to Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Asharwhateveritscalled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
So BGG says the playtime is 180 minutes, that's a little bit longer than I was expecting. Anyone out there who's played and wants to weigh in? I'm curious about setup time, playtime with experienced players & playtime with newbies, as well as whether it plays faster\slower with more or fewer players.

After how much I did not like the D&D games I'm a little leery of something that looks so similar, but it seems like it has fixed a lot of the problems I had with those games. But I was hoping it could retain the quick setup & playtime. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4 players, opening mission, started at 10:30 pm, ended at 1:30 am. Took 30 mins of explanation tops. First play through, though. I doubt it would take that long again-had to look up a lot of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.